E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > FOB unlock no worky?

05-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

FOB unlock no worky?

Recently my fob decided not to unlock the doors for me, forcing me to use the key lock so i can get in. This problem started many many moons ago BUT it would only happen once or twice a month. After a while, its been doing it gradually.. like once a week. Two days ago, the car fob UNLOCK button does not work 98% of the time.

so i've been doing alot of googling. Most of them that i read suggested to look for blown fuse. I checked all my locking/unlocking fuses and they're all fine.
Any other tricks i should know?

FOB locking works. FOB trunk open works. Dashboard lock/unlock works

Vehicle is an 07 328i base
      05-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Go to Advance Auto Parts, and most of them have a tester and you can see if it is the button on your fob that's going bad. You stand next to the tester and press the button and you should see the lights flash. Call ahead of time to make sure they have it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

sadly we don't have Advanced Auto Parts here according to their website's store locator.

though I'm really thinking it is the FOB unlock button now.... it sounds and feel different when pressed... (or maybe just because you brought it up :S)
      05-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Hop by the dealer and see if they have a checker there. I paid $260 for a new key fob not knowing that there's a spare one in the glove compartment. Worst part was that these new key fobs are programmed by the car so I could have spent $80 on ebay for one (uncut key, but I can get a cut "wallet" key for $40 from dealer if I really needed it). No dealer programming at all...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowx360 View Post
Hop by the dealer and see if they have a checker there. I paid $260 for a new key fob not knowing that there's a spare one in the glove compartment. Worst part was that these new key fobs are programmed by the car so I could have spent $80 on ebay for one (uncut key, but I can get a cut "wallet" key for $40 from dealer if I really needed it). No dealer programming at all...
what do you mean no programming at all?? that sounds very doable by myself if all i have to do is buy a blank key . Any link for validity? does this work for my car?

anyway..... my LOCK button started to give out. Now only the trunk button works everytime.

i called my dealer and they wanted 400 clams for a fob.