BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Just wrapped up an x6m for a client! I don't usually see a ton of info about the install of the intakes so I figured I would add some.
The car got the following mods :
Dme tuning stage 2 tune
Active Autowerke catless Downpipes
RK Autowerks intakes
Gapped plugs
New OEM intake pipes

The OEM intake pipes crumbled apart during install from the lightest touch-they are a terrible design and this car is low mileage(21k) so it was a bit of a surprise! Thankfully they are fairly cheap-$200 to $250 depending on where you can get them.
Also-when installing the RK Intakes we had to remove the second part of the grill to fit the filter behind them.

Fitting the Downpipes we did need to remove the trans cooler lines to make it easier to remove the drivers side downpipe and install the new one-a very small amount of fluid does come out so we did need to just top the transmission off after we finished.

Other than those notes fitment, sound and function of everything is great and this thing is a beast!

I attached pictures of the install!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
18BMWX5M569.00
      09-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
Just wrapped up an x6m for a client! I don't usually see a ton of info about the install of the intakes so I figured I would add some.
The car got the following mods :
Dme tuning stage 2 tune
Active Autowerke catless Downpipes
RK Autowerks intakes
Gapped plugs
New OEM intake pipes

The OEM intake pipes crumbled apart during install from the lightest touch-they are a terrible design and this car is low mileage(21k) so it was a bit of a surprise! Thankfully they are fairly cheap-$200 to $250 depending on where you can get them.
Also-when installing the RK Intakes we had to remove the second part of the grill to fit the filter behind them.

Fitting the Downpipes we did need to remove the trans cooler lines to make it easier to remove the drivers side downpipe and install the new one-a very small amount of fluid does come out so we did need to just top the transmission off after we finished.

Other than those notes fitment, sound and function of everything is great and this thing is a beast!

I attached pictures of the install!
Any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

That intake looks interesting. It seems like it would be less efficient due to the incoming air needing to change direction a bunch?
      09-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-X5 View Post
That intake looks interesting. It seems like it would be less efficient due to the incoming air needing to change direction a bunch?
Seems to do just fine and sounds great! It was far more for looks/sound than performance but from what I understand they do provide some decent power gains
Appreciate 0