BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Gspot17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Desperate need of help!!

I have a 2017 X5M.
The most important problem I’m having right now is I can’t pass NYS inspection. I have a Velos Designwerks, out of Miami, Stage2 tune in my car. I have no cats, and they installed down pipes. The car runs great and is fast. The problem is my inspection is overdue and the NYS DMV machine now sees zero codes but 2 monitors that aren’t ready. An evap monitor and a catalyst monitor. I currently am past my 10 day temporary inspection. I need to figure out something quick in order to get it to pass. Don't even have my stock parts either to turn it back to stock temporarily. Any suggestions? Any tuners near Rochester, NY, that are familiar with inspection issues in this set-up?
Thank you, Greg
585-576-3191
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, F13 650i

Had the same issue with my dinan tune, though they claimed it’s emission legal, the vehicle was never ready for inspection, evap and catalyst, so had to remove it to pass the inspection. In your case you need some one to trick the tune to have those parameters in ready state. Velos won’t do it most likely as it’s illegal and most of the tunes are sold ‘for off road use only’. So good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 11:21 PM   #3
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gspot17 View Post
I have a 2017 X5M.
The most important problem I’m having right now is I can’t pass NYS inspection. I have a Velos Designwerks, out of Miami, Stage2 tune in my car. I have no cats, and they installed down pipes. The car runs great and is fast. The problem is my inspection is overdue and the NYS DMV machine now sees zero codes but 2 monitors that aren’t ready. An evap monitor and a catalyst monitor. I currently am past my 10 day temporary inspection. I need to figure out something quick in order to get it to pass. Don't even have my stock parts either to turn it back to stock temporarily. Any suggestions? Any tuners near Rochester, NY, that are familiar with inspection issues in this set-up?
Thank you, Greg
585-576-3191
Go to Instagram and search for a page called "team no hesitation".Usually, they post on their story to get the inspection passed for a little money in NYC.
      02-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #4
Gspot17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBel View Post
Had the same issue with my dinan tune, though they claimed it’s emission legal, the vehicle was never ready for inspection, evap and catalyst, so had to remove it to pass the inspection. In your case you need some one to trick the tune to have those parameters in ready state. Velos won’t do it most likely as it’s illegal and most of the tunes are sold ‘for off road use only’. So good luck
What did you remove to get it to pass? I’m assuming the down pipes were removed, cats put back on, and stock tune reflashed?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, F13 650i

Quote:
What did you remove to get it to pass? I’m assuming the down pipes were removed, cats put back on, and stock tune reflashed?
I had piggy dinan with stock cats, so just the dinan ecu
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

Happened to me on my stock 50i. They told me to drive around for 50 miles and it should be ready but it took around 150 miles to be ready. If you want a fast solution, go to Jerome Ave.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Borrow another x5 for the test 🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #8
Gspot17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Borrowing another X5M is not going to work. This is something that may have worked in the past. The NYS DMV computers have to be plugged into the actual car until it spits out a sticker for that VIN number. All inspections are now linked to registrations. You cannot get a new registration unless you have a valid inspection and vice versa. The new scanners on police cars can tell if either sticker is is expired simply by scanning your plate

Last edited by Gspot17; 02-16-2021 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Borrowing another X5M is not going to work. This is something that may have worked in the past. The NYS DMV computers have to be plugged into the actual car until it spits out a sticker for that VIN number. All inspections are now linked to registrations. You cannot get a new registration unless you have a valid inspection and vice versa. The new scanners on police cars can tell if either sticker is is expired simply by scanning your plate
Bummer. Can you register your car in another state? What else can you do? Besides put your ride back to stock...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #10
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Find the place they will pass your inspection for extra money, they have their ways to do that or like #turboawd said bring back to stock
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Move south.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
I have a 2017 X5M.
Thank you, Greg
585-576-3191
Doesn't NY allow one monitor to be not ready? If so then focus on getting your evap ready since your cats never will be. Did you clear codes recently and is that why the evap is not ready?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #13
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Very accurate summary of the specifics around state inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:34 AM   #14
tttomttt
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 x drive

So first a few questions.
1) How long has it been since the mod was done?
The reasoning is that perhaps you have not driven the car for enough miles to reset the monitors. It took my 530i quite a few miles to reset it self without any mods.
2) Have you reset any codes in your car since either the mod was performed or at anytime since your inspection?
Anytime you reset a fault code the car will have to be driven until all parameters are reset. Some of the monitors reset almost immediately others such as the evap and catalyst need to be driven for many miles and at varying speeds to reset themselves. I remember having to recently endure this process before I moved. I believe I googled Monitor reset for NYS and a procedure for driving and resetting monitors came up.
Of course this could be just a Mod problem and the monitors may never reset.
Appreciate 0