BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #23
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

If You Would Pay 1.7 euroa per liter of fuel Like We do it Would stay on. Our Car tax is Also based on emissions, Which drop with smaller emissions. We have about 65% tax on high emission Car, So I Hate it and love it at the same time, but it stays on. It is not intelligent Enough though. My First surprise Was with My Porsche on the autobahn, 1,5h of speeds about 130-270km/h and What happens When I Stop at the Lights, of course start Stop turns the hot Engine off, I turned it immediately on again, but stupid I Think, Also I don't understand Why it doesnt let the Engine Go To operating temp, before switching it off at the Lights. I allways Leave it off until water/oil temp is operating temp.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #24
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
If You Would Pay 1.7 euroa per liter of fuel Like We do it Would stay on. Our Car tax is Also based on emissions, Which drop with smaller emissions. We have about 65% tax on high emission Car, So I Hate it and love it at the same time, but it stays on. It is not intelligent Enough though. My First surprise Was with My Porsche on the autobahn, 1,5h of speeds about 130-270km/h and What happens When I Stop at the Lights, of course start Stop turns the hot Engine off, I turned it immediately on again, but stupid I Think, Also I don't understand Why it doesnt let the Engine Go To operating temp, before switching it off at the Lights. I allways Leave it off until water/oil temp is operating temp.
HI kip1. Good to know that German engineering isn't quite as clever as we like to think
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #25
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
HI kip1. Good to know that German engineering isn't quite as clever as we like to think
The auto on/off got better with each model year: mine shows the behaviour mentioned above, my wife's car made the year after doesn't and my father's car made last year is almost perfect in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #26
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomac2 View Post
The auto on/off got better with each model year: mine shows the behaviour mentioned above, my wife's car made the year after doesn't and my father's car made last year is almost perfect in that regard.

All Bimmers?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #27
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
All Bimmers?
Yes. X3, 120d, X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomac2 View Post
Yes. X3, 120d, X3.
Sweet
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #29
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I quite like it. Didn't on the test drive, but am pretty much used to it now. You can force it to not disengage by pressing the brake pedal twice before stopping, if you know you need to set off soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #30
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganguly View Post
Mine stopped working, any suggestions how to turn it back on please ?
If it's been cold lately around you, it won't shut the engine off. There are a LOT of factors that go into whether the car will decide to shut the engine off, so if the light inside your Auto Stop Start button is off, the system is doing its thing.

As for living with it, there are a bunch of different things you can do to make it less obtrusive. If I'm at a standstill and want the engine to start back up before I NEED to be moving, all you have to do is begin to let go of the brake pedal. THAT is the trigger for the engine to start back up again, not pressing the gas pedal.

Also, tugging on the steering wheel, putting the car in Sport Plus, switching the gear selector into M/S, and turning DSC off are some of the easy ways for you to force the engine to turn back on.

If you have to come to a stop at a light but are about to turn, if you stop the car with the steering wheel already turned to one side or the other, the engine won't shut off.

Pre-MY2014 cars, by default, will remember the last known setting of the Auto Stop Start system. So if you turn the system off (light on the button is on), every time you start your car, the system will remain off until you turn it back on, then it'll always be on. MY2013 cars and prior would default the system to ON unless you had the dealership enable the last known setting memory. They do not code it to be permanently off, they code it to remember its last known setting. As mentioned already, they will do this once for free, but once should be all you will ever need.

Not everyone loves it, but it's definitely something you can get used to pretty easily if you want to.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #31
rganguly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks, really helpful
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:47 AM   #32
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Thanks a ton for those confirming the "memory" option in MY2014... I can now sleep safe knowing I can turn this bugger once and for all.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #33
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
As for living with it, there are a bunch of different things you can do to make it less obtrusive. If I'm at a standstill and want the engine to start back up before I NEED to be moving, all you have to do is begin to let go of the brake pedal. THAT is the trigger for the engine to start back up again, not pressing the gas pedal.
Some good tips!

Just to add, for those of us with an F15, we will probably be using either the AutoHold feature or ACC. In either case our feet won't be on the brake pedal.

With ACC, the engine restarts automatically when the car infront moves off. Autohold - you have to press the gas to resume.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 02-20-2014 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #34
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I think it's more about emissions. MPG is more for marketing… Supposedly there is a tipping point, amount of time spent idling, where there is a mpg benefit.
Fuel savings are minimal, however it does reduce CO2 emissions. I always keep it active - not anything annoying IMO and I hear this will be more of the norm for most OEMs to achieve the emission and cafe regs.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #35
JDR32
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i

I stopped at a light trying to make a left against 2 lanes of traffic. The engine shut off. I had to goose it a little to beat the oncoming traffic. It's not comforting that the engine shuts off. What exactly is the wear and tear on the engine when it's off and then revs 3k?

I got this x5 for certain reasons, not for CO2 emissions or amazing gas mileage. I would have went with a Subaru with PZEV for those reasons. I can see myself using this with stop and go traffic on the GS Parkway during summer traffic, but that's all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #36
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR32
I stopped at a light trying to make a left against 2 lanes of traffic. The engine shut off. I had to goose it a little to beat the oncoming traffic. It's not comforting that the engine shuts off. What exactly is the wear and tear on the engine when it's off and then revs 3k?

I got this x5 for certain reasons, not for CO2 emissions or amazing gas mileage. I would have went with a Subaru with PZEV for those reasons. I can see myself using this with stop and go traffic on the GS Parkway during summer traffic, but that's all.
I believe that if you turn your wheels a little it will prevent the auto stop from stopping the engine, so if you are sitting there waiting to do a quick turn, just pre turn the wheel and the engine stays on. At least it works that way for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #37
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
I believe that if you turn your wheels a little it will prevent the auto stop from stopping the engine, so if you are sitting there waiting to do a quick turn, just pre turn the wheel and the engine stays on. At least it works that way for me.
I mentioned this in my post, but this is a factor in the auto stop-start system. Pretty convenient!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #38
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

8-10-12
BMW is now allowing dealers to set the system to “Last User Mode “.

This really seems to be about people not coping with change, and not feeling comfortable with the system.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

Will we see the day where it is mandatory on?

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2012/08/10...ed-by-dealers/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #39
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
8-10-12
BMW is now allowing dealers to set the system to “Last User Mode “.

This really seems to be about people not coping with change, and not feeling comfortable with the system.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

Will we see the day where it is mandatory on?

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2012/08/10...ed-by-dealers/
Most Def. Sad to say in these days of being Politically Correct and Environmentally Friendly. No matter that China and India are the biggest polluters it's the Western world that has to be the caring sharing type and hug a tree!
I'll get off my soap box now
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #40
raducris
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5d

Garage List
2015 X5d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
I'd seriously want to hear the rationale behind putting start-stop system into cars with 350+ BHP.
Zero emissions when you're standing still?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #41
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Necroposting in 7 years old thread... Why?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #42
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovec1990 View Post
Armen383 no hard feelings, but you are classic example of people who are afraid of new tech in their cars
LOL, 'new tech' my .........