BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #45
RakoNYC
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive35d 2016

I just phoned BMW USA on my 2016 X5d - they're still saying that the model isn't approved for any upgrade and that SB 84 01 21 is still in effect for my X5 - I don't get it
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #46
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Vdesai0326, thanks for sharing all pages in SIB 84 02 21.

I called my dealer and the answer was - unfortunately - anticipated. My vehicle, 2015 BMW (F15) X5 build in 1/2015 - isn't eligible for the 4G retrofit as described in the original 3G discontinuation email sent by BMW NA. This service bulletin DOES NOT change it.

The service bulletin mentions a different part number for trunk mounted ATM module: 94 10 5 A0F C23 instead of 84 10 68 36 777. My dealer confirmed that the part ending with 777 can be ordered for my vehicle's VIN as a service part. Once ordered, the retrofit can be performed by an independent BMW shop (NBT Evo head unit + wiring loom + ATM module).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #47
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Vdesai0326, thanks for sharing all pages in SIB 84 02 21.

I called my dealer and the answer was - unfortunately - anticipated. My vehicle, 2015 BMW (F15) X5 build in 1/2015 - isn't eligible for the 4G retrofit as described in the original 3G discontinuation email sent by BMW NA. This service bulletin DOES NOT change it.

The service bulletin mentions a different part number for trunk mounted ATM module: 94 10 5 A0F C23 instead of 84 10 68 36 777. My dealer confirmed that the part ending with 777 can be ordered for my vehicle's VIN as a service part. Once ordered, the retrofit can be performed by an independent BMW shop (NBT Evo head unit + wiring loom + ATM module).
94 10 5 A0F C23 is not the ATM module, it is the trunk MOUNT for ATM module, parts for the SIB would be included in the different code (option B Work package #4).
And yes, got the e-mail from my dealership, no SIB currently applies to my car, so no retrofit from BMW. The only (and the last ) hope right now is that this SIB is too new and not all the cars affected are yet included. Not sure where BMW decided to draw the line but right now it looks like nothing changes for my 2014.

Last edited by RED_Y_; 06-18-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #48
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
94 10 5 A0F C23 is not the ATM module, it is the trunk MOUNT for ATM module, parts for the SIB would be included in the different code (option B Work package #4).
And yes, got the e-mail from my dealership, no SIB currently applies to my car, so no retrofit from BMW. The only (and the last ) hope right now is that this SIB is too new and not all the cars affected are yet included. Not sure where BMW decided to draw the line but right now it looks like nothing changes for my 2014.
My fault - the part number starts with 8 not 9.

Here is the link to the part from GetBMWParts.com:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...4g-84105a0fc23
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #49
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
My fault - the part number starts with 8 not 9.

Here is the link to the part from GetBMWParts.com:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...4g-84105a0fc23
Yeah, regardless, still doesn't change much.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #50
Vdesai0326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2015 bmw x5  [0.00]
Okay guys I have an update that is not good,

I looked into this further and verified that the F15 is NOT eligible for the retrofit of any sort. This was verified by the warranty administrator which contacted BMW NA.

Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up I apologize for the incorrect information
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #51
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Starting a new dedicated thread for owners of F15 vehicles that cannot receive a technology upgrade from BMW but want to find a way to do it.

Goals of the effort - identify:

1. All required parts
2. Installation procedures, including wiring
3. ConnectedDrive configuration and activation options (might have to visit the dealer ...)
4. Shops willing to perform the retrofit

I will be visiting a local shop in OC (SoCal) that has a lot of experience with BMW vehicles. Will share an update.

UPDATE: June 14, 2021.

I spoke to a very helpful parts manager at a BMW dealer.

The solution described below will produce 4G ATM module with your vehicle's VIN. It does not use a donor vehicle with an active subscription. While active donor vehicle approach can work initially, BMW can deactivate the IMEI associated with the donor vehicle for many reasons.

Here are the steps:

1. Call your local BMW dealer parts department, provide VIN, and ask them for PN 84 10 68 36 777 - or US ATM 4G module
2. The parts system should confirm that this part number can be ordered for your VIN. This is a KEY requirement. BMW dealer will order a part only if the system indicates it can be ordered for your VIN. This has been confirmed for my vehicle - 2015 BMW X5
3. Order the part. It will arrive with your VIN already provisioned. The most difficult part is now behind at approximately $700.
4. Order and install NBT Evo head unit with 18-03 firmware from https://www.codemybimmer.ca/product/...t-2016-models/. Codemybimmer ships NBT Evo head units with 18-03 firmware.
5. Order BMW F SERIES NBT EVO ID5/6 ATM RETROFIT WIRING LOOM PLUG & PLAY + GIFT(FSC Pack)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16333260576...oAAOSwaG1b0DxV. The wiring instructions are in the item description.
6. Install new ATM and take a photo of the label with IMEI number.
7. Connect the wires
8. Call BMW ConnectedDrive and inform them that the ATM module has been replaced and share the IMEI and any other information

That should be it. I haven't done this yet but will schedule time to prepare and order all parts.

Any options how to retrofit this 4G module with non evo nbt?

And, does BMW really care about IMEI, there are a lot of those ATM modules on eBay for $200-300. What if I buy and install in my car?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #52
gabep
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Starting a new dedicated thread for owners of F15 vehicles that cannot receive a technology upgrade from BMW but want to find a way to do it.

[...]

Here are the steps:

1. Call your local BMW dealer parts department, provide VIN, and ask them for PN 84 10 68 36 777 - or US ATM 4G module
2. The parts system should confirm that this part number can be ordered for your VIN. This is a KEY requirement. BMW dealer will order a part only if the system indicates it can be ordered for your VIN. This has been confirmed for my vehicle - 2015 BMW X5
3. Order the part. It will arrive with your VIN already provisioned. The most difficult part is now behind at approximately $700.
4. Order and install NBT Evo head unit with 18-03 firmware from https://www.codemybimmer.ca/product/...t-2016-models/. Codemybimmer ships NBT Evo head units with 18-03 firmware.
5. Order BMW F SERIES NBT EVO ID5/6 ATM RETROFIT WIRING LOOM PLUG & PLAY + GIFT(FSC Pack)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16333260576...oAAOSwaG1b0DxV. The wiring instructions are in the item description.
6. Install new ATM and take a photo of the label with IMEI number.
7. Connect the wires
8. Call BMW ConnectedDrive and inform them that the ATM module has been replaced and share the IMEI and any other information

That should be it. I haven't done this yet but will schedule time to prepare and order all parts.
Long time lurker here. I've been researching this for a while as well and I thought I'd chime in. I don't think the solution proposed by the OP would work, at least not as stated: PN 84106836777 is a TCB, not an ATM.

TCBs and ATMs have different connectors and, more importantly, only the latter have the OABR (Ethernet) connections that the EVO headunit needs to communicate with it (this is why a new wiring harness is needed when retrofitting EVO to NBT cars). Someone on an i3 forum had their 3G TCB replaced with PN 84106836777, if you look at the photos they posted, you'll see that the unit is missing the required connectors for EVO.

The good news is that, if you have NBT, PN 84106836777 should be a drop in replacement for your existing 3G TCB. If, on the other hand, you have a retrofitted EVO headunit (I have), things are more complicated. In principle, the OP's instructions should work using PN 84109843931 instead. This is the part that supersedes all ATMs in F15s, and also passes the VIN check on BMW's parts database. However, it is not a drop-in replacement, as that is a roof-mounted unit that connects directly to the shark-fin antenna, not a boot-mounted one, like the TCBs. There are boot-mounted ATMs (I used one in my original EVO retrofit), but because they were never used in F15s, those part numbers don't pass the VIN check in the parts database. The only way to use a white ATM in a pre 8/2016 F15 (that's when BMW switched from TCB to ATM, at least in the US), is to either retrofit the antenna and the ancillary wiring, or solder the boot antenna leads directly into the ATM.

Regarding the OP's point #8, I'm not sure that one can just call ConnectedDrive and ask them to change the IMEI/ICCID linked to the VIN. As far as I could make, the request has to come from a dealer via a TSARA case (see, for example, service bulletin SIB 84 02 14).

My biggest concern, however, is regarding the way in which ConnectedDrive will filter out which cars that are no longer supported after February 2022. The easiest way would be to do so by VIN (that's clearly how they did it with the letters/emails we've all got about this). If that's the case, then having a 4G TCB/ATM won't do us any good. So far I haven't been able to find any example of someone successfully having the ban on renewals lifted by retrofitting 4G connectivity to their cars (and I've been looking everywhere!).
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #53
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabep View Post
Long time lurker here. I've been researching this for a while as well and I thought I'd chime in. I don't think the solution proposed by the OP would work, at least not as stated: PN 84106836777 is a TCB, not an ATM.

TCBs and ATMs have different connectors and, more importantly, only the latter have the OABR (Ethernet) connections that the EVO headunit needs to communicate with it (this is why a new wiring harness is needed when retrofitting EVO to NBT cars). Someone on an i3 forum had their 3G TCB replaced with PN 84106836777, if you look at the photos they posted, you'll see that the unit is missing the required connectors for EVO.

The good news is that, if you have NBT, PN 84106836777 should be a drop in replacement for your existing 3G TCB. If, on the other hand, you have a retrofitted EVO headunit (I have), things are more complicated. In principle, the OP's instructions should work using PN 84109843931 instead. This is the part that supersedes all ATMs in F15s, and also passes the VIN check on BMW's parts database. However, it is not a drop-in replacement, as that is a roof-mounted unit that connects directly to the shark-fin antenna, not a boot-mounted one, like the TCBs. There are boot-mounted ATMs (I used one in my original EVO retrofit), but because they were never used in F15s, those part numbers don't pass the VIN check in the parts database. The only way to use a white ATM in a pre 8/2016 F15 (that's when BMW switched from TCB to ATM, at least in the US), is to either retrofit the antenna and the ancillary wiring, or solder the boot antenna leads directly into the ATM.

Regarding the OP's point #8, I'm not sure that one can just call ConnectedDrive and ask them to change the IMEI/ICCID linked to the VIN. As far as I could make, the request has to come from a dealer via a TSARA case (see, for example, service bulletin SIB 84 02 14).

My biggest concern, however, is regarding the way in which ConnectedDrive will filter out which cars that are no longer supported after February 2022. The easiest way would be to do so by VIN (that's clearly how they did it with the letters/emails we've all got about this). If that's the case, then having a 4G TCB/ATM won't do us any good. So far I haven't been able to find any example of someone successfully having the ban on renewals lifted by retrofitting 4G connectivity to their cars (and I've been looking everywhere!).
gabep, thank you for the detailed notes. You are right about the ATM part number. The correct part number for ATM 4G module is indeed 84109843931.

I did speak with BMW ConnectedDrive representative and was assured that no VIN filtering is performed, i.e. if a vehicle can connect to BMW Connected Drive and has a valid subscription, all provisioned services will function. As with all matters such as this one, I don't know of anyone who has done the 4G retrofit and don't have any practical knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #54
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

I've read all pages of SIB 84 02 21 by Vdesai0326 starting from post #24, I don't see why it doesn't apply to 3G model of F15/X5 (for MY 14-16). Am I missing anything in it?

Vdesai0326, did your dealer/BMW give you any reason/specific why the SIB doesn't apply to your X5.

Xolinlevh, since you already scheduled with your dealer per the SIB/retrofit, we appreciate that you can post any update.

I do believe BMW is obligated to honor the SIB for BMW AT&T 3G cars from model year 14-16 for several reasons: 1. AT&T 4G/LTE was deployed from 2011, but BMW still put old/obsolete 3G technology even after more than 3 years later in 14-16 model years' cars. 2. These 14-16 MY BMW cars still have many active/valid telematics and remote services beyond February 2022 if 3G is not shut down then. In another words, we don't get what we paid and BMW should give. 3. Nowadays, Internet/connected is almost essential and important, more and more existing and new things are relying on it. It's so ironic that the premium/luxury BMW brand doesn't care and leaves behind their vehicles just about 5 year old.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #55
Vdesai0326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
I've read all pages of SIB 84 02 21 by Vdesai0326 starting from post #24, I don't see why it doesn't apply to 3G model of F15/X5 (for MY 14-16). Am I missing anything in it?

Vdesai0326, did your dealer/BMW give you any reason/specific why the SIB doesn't apply to your X5.

Xolinlevh, since you already scheduled with your dealer per the SIB/retrofit, we appreciate that you can post any update.

I do believe BMW is obligated to honor the SIB for BMW AT&T 3G cars from model year 14-16 for several reasons: 1. AT&T 4G/LTE was deployed from 2011, but BMW still put old/obsolete 3G technology even after more than 3 years later in 14-16 model years' cars. 2. These 14-16 MY BMW cars still have many active/valid telematics and remote services beyond February 2022 if 3G is not shut down then. In another words, we don't get what we paid and BMW should give. 3. Nowadays, Internet/connected is almost essential and important, more and more existing and new things are relying on it. It's so ironic that the premium/luxury BMW brand doesn't care and leaves behind their vehicles just about 5 year old.
I honestly believe the reason for my14-16 is also having to replace the head unit, which means more parts, more money
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #56
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post

Pretty simple. Does your car had an option at the moment you bought it to add NBT Evo and 4G?
For example, none of 4er 2013-2017 is eligible for this upgrade as well. 2017 year cars have evo and 4G and that fits older models as well, but according to BMW catalog evo is not available for those cars.
BMW does not care if a part physically fits and bolt-on, as long as it is not in configurator - no updates. A lot of examples: soft close for 1, 2 series.

Probably someone calculated pros and cons of selling to all these 3G owners an updated EVO head units and atm blocks and decided that it is better to drop them.

The only one option here is if a lack of SOS button is illegal, so then, yes BMW would need to somehow deal with this outage and provide solution.

But they decided to go with a "as long as technically capable".
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #57
DJMOJO
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 40e  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakoNYC View Post
I just phoned BMW USA on my 2016 X5d - they're still saying that the model isn't approved for any upgrade and that SB 84 01 21 is still in effect for my X5 - I don't get it
I have a 2016 X5 40e and was told the same thing. No upgrade options for the 2016s... im pretty irritated...
Pure Stage 2 Turbo and Turbo Inlet. VRSF 7 inch HD Intercooler, Down Pipe, Charge Pipe and Turbo Outlet Pipe. Go Fast Bits DV+. Stage 2 Low Pressure Fuel Pump (Walbro 485high pressure/high volume version) MHD E85 Pro Tune (MOTIVE Motorsport). Black Market Parts Port Injection Kit (6 750CC Injectors) Split Second AIC-1, AFE Stage 2 Intake (Pro 5R Oil).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #58
unplugged216
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Dinan, BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMOJO View Post
I have a 2016 X5 40e and was told the same thing. No upgrade options for the 2016s... im pretty irritated...
I am as well irritated. I was told by the dealership that 84 02 21 applied to my BMW. I get my appointment scheduled and get there and they tell me that it doesn't apply. I call BMW NA, they say that both bulletins are in effect but the disqualifying one supersedes the other.

My 2016 X5 M has the following bulletins
84 02 21 <- Qualifies
AND
84 01 21 <- Disqualifies

My dealer is pulling in BMW NA Regional engineering for a final verdict.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5945.50
      07-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #59
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged216 View Post
I am as well irritated. I was told by the dealership that 84 02 21 applied to my BMW. I get my appointment scheduled and get there and they tell me that it doesn't apply. I call BMW NA, they say that both bulletins are in effect but the disqualifying one supersedes the other.

My 2016 X5 M has the following bulletins
84 02 21 <- Qualifies
AND
84 01 21 <- Disqualifies

My dealer is pulling in BMW NA Regional engineering for a final verdict.
This is the most perplexing response from BMW. One would think the more positive option supersedes the more negative one. Looking forward to reading an update.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #60
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
This is the most perplexing response from BMW. One would think the more positive option supersedes the more negative one. Looking forward to reading an update.
Interested too, as I went through the same thing (said they could do it, got appointment, dropped off car, nope we cant do it)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #61
unplugged216
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Dinan, BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
Interested too, as I went through the same thing (said they could do it, got appointment, dropped off car, nope we cant do it)
This is their M/O. Who ever wrote the eligible vehicle list for 84 02 21 is a moron lol. There isn't a technically compatible <=2016 F85 for this retrofit. So, the fact that it is on the eligible list and on the not eligible list is insane. Makes me think it simply about money. Which is the case in any business. However, the point is that we all know or can easily find out what is required for the upgrade. 3 parts and some labor. Yes. The parts and labor would cost BMW about $3k per vehicle. Maybe less i guess.

They have been down this road before. Interesting.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #62
ajhjr1957
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Xdrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 650i xDriv ...  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2015 BMW   [0.00]
ConnectedDrive

Wow, I happen to stumble upon this thread!!! so glad I did; I will be setting up an appointment next week for my upgrade, lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #63
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

The fact that 4G LTE was out and about more than 3 years and BMW went ahead and built our cars "hardcoded" to 3G seems ripe for a class action lawsuit. In real estate it's called a "taking".

Basically BMW has taken away value we all paid them for. Further, they've lowered the resale value of every affected car across the product line. They could have been ready with a program in place wherein we could purchase and have a dealer installed retrofit. But no, BMW isn't lifting a finger other than a paltry handful of end of cycle cars that happened to have 4G support embedded but not used. [insert twirling finger here]

Seems to me the situation is absolutely ripe for a lawsuit. Nothing like a stubborn deep pocket corporation making their cars arguably less safe, removing value customers paid for and giving the finger to its customer base to get lawyers all hot and lathered.
      08-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #64
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

While there are so many understandable incentives to debate "why BMW chose to make certain decisions", a multi billion dollar corporation has substantial legal resources to at their disposal to determine what will actions will prevail in court.

There are 3 options for vehicles that BMW elected not to include in the 4G retrofit campaign:

- Do nothing
- Invest $3K+ in BMW unapproved but technically feasible retrofit: NBT Evo + ATM 4G unit + wiring harness + labor by experienced technician. This option carries many caveats including the risk of future service visits detecting components not intended for that specific VIN
- Retrofit NBT Evo head unit with CarPlay - approx. $1.2K USD - and get the benefit of Google Maps, Waze - minus SOS call feature
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #65
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
- Retrofit NBT Evo head unit with CarPlay - approx. $1.2K USD - and get the benefit of Google Maps, Waze - minus SOS call feature
How does replacing an NBT HU with an NBT EVO HU solve the problem of a disconnected car? Unless I'm missing something, this requires running Google/Apple Maps/Waze whatever sucking the life out of your phone's battery and LTE data plan for all the time you're in the car.

Not even running Carplay, I tested this idea using Google and Apple Maps on 30 minute trips and my phone was extremely hot at the end and had actually lost a percentage of charge in spite of being plugged in.

That's your 3rd option?

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 08-07-2021 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #66
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While there are so many understandable incentives to debate "why BMW chose to make certain decisions", a multi billion dollar corporation has substantial legal resources to at their disposal to determine what will actions will prevail in court.
This doesn't speak highly of BMW. What you're saying is a calculation was made and they are socking away money for a legal defense they believe they can win on the come they can keep the money in their pocket instead of spending some of it to help customers. They could have been ready with a package that makes your option 2 a transaction at a dealer where they handle all the VIN and IMEI registration crap. But they didn't. So somebody should sue and make them spend it.

BMW had a choice. Serve their customers or serve themselves. I think as long as customers look the other way and make excuses for them, they'll keep doing it.