BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #1
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Hi guys - I have for some time been slightly annoyed that the distance range in the cluster maxes out at 800 km - when I fill the X5 I'm often looking at 1050 to 1200 kms in calculated range but the red range marker stays at max until I reach below 800 km range and then the red indicator begins to fall in line with the remaining range. The displayed range is correct and adjusts as I drive but that red bar doesn't reflect the true range until <800 km. Anyway, OCD I know but heck, these clusters are electronic and so must be able to be adjusted. I have searched with E-sys for some time but didn't find the correct setting to change this.

Today I used a English German translator to get some word hits for 'range'. Got a few that didn't work but then hit on 'reichweite' - I searched in Kombi for this and Bingo (2015 F15 35d)! 3004 ERM_Konfiguration > BC_ANSCHLAG_REICHWEITE_KM (there's a MLS for miles right below it which I didn't change) - the setting was 800_km, Werte=50. If I right clicked on the 800_km thing to edit it, the only other option was 600 km - not what I wanted at all. So I used a hexadecimal calculator to try a few values to get a higher range number. It took a few tries as the Werte entry doesn't seem to accept more than 2 places but equally, the actual range displayed seems to be factored by 10 - ie. if the displayed value you want is 1200, you use hexadecimal 78 which calculates to 120, not 1200. I'm sure someone here understands why but in any case, hot damn, it worked!

Usual disclaimers here…do this at your own risk to frying or otherwise messing up your car, it's display or anything else. Pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-17-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Not seen this before. Not sure if your Google translation and 'try it and see' approach is brave or foolhardy, but we'll done - I might just try this (my 40d regularly has a range of 650 miles when refuelled but the display tops out at 500)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 06:21 PM   #3
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

A bit of both perhaps but I've religiously backed up my various pre-coded FA files so I can revert fairly easily if something goes very sideways. The Miles setting should work the same with different numbers of course. Be great if you can report back as we have many US, UK and AUS BMW drivers who may appreciate the equivalent settings in miles. You might try Werte = 46 which is 70 decimal value (resulting in 700 miles in your cluster, maybe?). I tried a few settings before getting the correct one and had no meltdown so I'd say no harm no foul with these settings but again, disclaimer blah blah blah…

If anyone is interested, speed range translates to, somewhat entertainingly, Geschwindigkeitsbereich! Maybe the M guys can max out their speedos to 300 kph for track days .
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #4
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

I wonder if that would work for the N55 engine. I get about 440-450 miles per tank but 5-600 miles would be nice.
Appreciate 0