Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Dealer damaged my dash, thoughts?

So got rear ended a couple months back and needed a new bumper and exhaust (shout out to the tow package). Picked the car up after 6 weeks and noticed they gashed the new bumper installing my tow hitch, over spray on the rear quarter panel, and scratches all down the rear driver side and tail light. Had them fix all that and then my wife picked it up a week later.

We’ll my first drive in it the next day and bam I immediately notice a water mark and my leather shriveled and pulling out of the defrost vent next to the heads up display.

Again I know for a fact it wasn’t there when we dropped it off and I didn’t look inside the vehicle when we picked it up the first time. I am currently waiting on the shop manager to get back from another location so I can discuss with him but I did immediately return to the dealer and talked to the Joe Schmo who was handing the repairs and of course he his pushing back hard on it.

Any suggestions. I’m trying to keep my cool here because I know it’s basically my word vs there’s and this would mean thousands to replace the dash. But I also know this all but kills the value of my X5 now and it was all but pristine on the inside outside normal cheap bmw leather wear and tear.
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 10:57 PM   #2
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X5 50i

Yeah, these days you need to photograph your whole vehicle just before drop off to be able to prove the crazy ass sh%t that happens at dealerships.

It amazes me that when I drop off my car to a dealer and request a loan vehicle, they require me to view the car over and sign a declaration sheet regarding existing damage. I'd love to see what would happen if a customer presented the same document for the SA to sign.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      10-25-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Im wondering if you can pull up on the vent trim and try to stretch the leather out again? Possibly apply some cement glue. Unfortunately, without proof, most shops will not deny everything.
      10-25-2023, 05:46 PM   #4
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Could the sunroof drain be plugged? Was it raining at the dealer while your car was parked outside?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:26 AM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fknid View Post
Yeah, these days you need to photograph your whole vehicle just before drop off to be able to prove the crazy ass sh%t that happens at dealerships.

It amazes me that when I drop off my car to a dealer and request a loan vehicle, they require me to view the car over and sign a declaration sheet regarding existing damage. I'd love to see what would happen if a customer presented the same document for the SA to sign.
I know. Drives me nuts. I had scratches all down the side that were never there either. Specific scratches lol. As I tried to explain to the body shop rep. It’s not this scratch or this small dent. But these right here that were never there to include ones on my tail light. Luckily they were able to remove when they removed the overspray. I keep trying to get them to understand I know every imperfection on this vehicle. Moreso since my wife started driving it a couple years ago. Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Im wondering if you can pull up on the vent trim and try to stretch the leather out again? Possibly apply some cement glue. Unfortunately, without proof, most shops will not deny everything.
Not sure. Don’t think so as it’s shrunk. It would need to be rehydrated and stretched and glued or something. The manager of the shop is asking his interior guy and is supposed to get back to me about scheduling a day to bring it back to fix or simply replace the dash. He’s a good dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Could the sunroof drain be plugged? Was it raining at the dealer while your car was parked outside?
It doesn’t look like water damage. More like a cleaner or something. Also have never seen water collect there from the sunroof. Not sure though. They had it for almost 8 weeks.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

mine has a very small, barely noticeable resemblance of this in the same spot. i don't know if condensation or moisture of some kind accumulates here. just saying that i have the same.
      11-05-2023, 02:26 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Maverik259, these issues can be very upsetting. Have seen my own fair share,

As long as humans perform the repairs, some repairs will be imperfect - just like humans.

Engaging the service manager and shop foreman makes sense as the next step.

The leather shriveling and pulling out from the vent border doesn't happen under normal driving conditions.

Was the dash removed during the previous repair?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #8
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

F85 have a lot of issues with dash leather shrinking because it being exposed to sun or moisture sometimes. Considering your dash is full leather, id expect same issues unfortunately. Did that shop have your dash out to perform the repairs ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 12:16 AM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
This didn’t just happen over night from the sun. Plus I’ve had ceramic tint on the windshield since 20k miles and not a single blemish anywhere else.

And no the dealer didn’t touch the dash for the repair. To me it looks like a tech had an oily rag or something that was tossed up on the dash. Water wouldn’t do this and I have no other signs of water intrusion.

Shop manager said he would look into it and of course haven’t heard from him in 2 weeks. Gonna reach out after thanksgiving. They need to reinstall the bumper and adjust the exhaust anyway. Major squeaks coming from
Bumper when I lean against it to load groceries etc. something didn’t install correctly.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0