BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
bmwx5_50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

New brakes vibrating, fixable or buy new ones?

I recently replaced my front brakes and rotors on a 2014 X5 50i. The last time I got this done for the rears at the dealership and it cost me $1000, so I decided to try it myself this time.

I bought a set of Brembo rotors and non-ceramic Brembo pads. I thought I followed the bedding procedure properly, with gentle braking for the first few hundred miles and then a few hard stops, letting the brakes cool down before stopping the car. But after about 2000 miles the brakes have developed an annoying vibration between 35-50 mph. It's less perceptible if you brake very gently or quite hard, but the in between makes the brake pedal feels like driving over cobblestones.

I tried braking hard again a bunch of times which might have made it slightly better. But it's still pretty noticeable. Apart from grinding down rotors, is there anything you can do to fix this? Or should I just buy a new set of rotors and pads?
Coincidentally I was talking with my local gas station/indy repair shop owner, who owns an X3 and just replaced his rotors too. He ran exactly into the same issue as me and ended up going back to OEM BMW rotors and pads. Though I don't like how soft they brake and rusty they get, I'll probably do the same if I can't fix these.

If not OEM, is there any other brand people have been happy with? Looks like RockAuto doesn't sell the OEMs unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

You could try a different pad.

Did you clean the rotors with brakleen and clean paper towels/rag to wipe off the corrosion protection before installing?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:46 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I have akebono ceramic pads and ecs tuning rotors, work great for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 12:01 AM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Could be a thrust arm bushing. Did you notice something similar before. You swapped them?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 07:31 AM   #5
jbfrancis3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Brembo components should [key word] be a suitable replacement so hold tight on thinking about immediately replacing them or grinding down.

When you first drove off to start bedding, was there any vibration in the pedal? Or did the vibration develop post-bedding?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:17 AM   #6
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Your rotor(s) could be warped/defective from factory. Happened to me with a brand new OE rotor for my F85. You can take the rotors to a machine shop and have them examine and turn the defective rotor or if you just bought them recently, do a warranty replacement?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:34 AM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

since it developed after 2000miles i'd say it's likely a warped rotor or you have pad deposits that are unevenly burned onto the rotor. have you take the wheel off and looked closely at the rotors for pad material that may be stuck on them?
      07-25-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Not sure it's related to your issue (probably not) but figured I'd post my brake bedding procedure that hasn't ever let me down (30x?).

1. Drive car to straight open road using light braking as little as possible to get there.
2. Put hazard lights on and accelerate quickly to 60mph.
3. Engage brakes HARD.
4. Repeat 2 and 3 at least 3x... your brakes will be HOT.
5. Using the brakes as little as possible, get on the highway and drive for 10 minutes to allow the brakes to cool down.
6. Done.

Never had any issue with the above procedure. Again, probably not your issue, but figured the info might be useful to someone.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      07-25-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
bmwx5_50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Lots of helpful comments here, thanks!

Quote:
You could try a different pad.

Did you clean the rotors with brakleen and clean paper towels/rag to wipe off the corrosion protection before installing?
I did not clean the rotors beforehand. I don't fully remember, but I believe the instructions the rotors came with said not to remove the coating.

Quote:
Could be a thrust arm bushing. Did you notice something similar before. You swapped them?
Nope, this is the first time this ever happened. The bushings were replaced by the dealer at ~40k miles or so, and I'm at 66k miles now.

Quote:
When you first drove off to start bedding, was there any vibration in the pedal? Or did the vibration develop post-bedding?
This only started happening post-bedding. My wife drives the car a lot more than I do, so it's possible I messed up the bedding procedure and she just didn't mention the vibration. When I drove it a few weeks ago I noticed it and she said: "Oh yeah, I've been meaning to tell you that started happening." So I don't know how many miles between bedding and the vibration.

Quote:
Your rotor(s) could be warped/defective from factory. Happened to me with a brand new OE rotor for my F85. You can take the rotors to a machine shop and have them examine and turn the defective rotor or if you just bought them recently, do a warranty replacement?
Wouldn't the issue have been present from day 1 then? I could try the warranty route, but taking them to a machine shop is too much of a hassle. Rotors and pads were $300. If they're coming off for whatever reason I'd rather put on new ones and know (or hope) that fixes it.

Quote:
Not sure it's related to your issue (probably not) but figured I'd post my brake bedding procedure that hasn't ever let me down (30x?).
Thanks, those were the steps as well I had in mind when trying to bed in my brakes. It's possible I didn't quite do it right. Getting up to 60mph and stopping safely isn't easy on any of the roads near where I live.

Quote:
since it developed after 2000miles i'd say it's likely a warped rotor or you have pad deposits that are unevenly burned onto the rotor. have you take the wheel off and looked closely at the rotors for pad material that may be stuck on them?
I haven't taken the wheels off yet. From the outside the rotor looks and feels fine but reading online it appears you need a caliper to really be able to tell.

When I replaced the rotors and pads there was a ton of rust everywhere (New England winters ) so I took the wire brush wheel and metal file to the pad tabs, then applied white lithium grease (only on the tabs). I'm now seeing that wasn't the proper grease to use. Perhaps one of the pads stopped sliding properly? I don't know if taking it all apart and re-greasing with the proper grease would help, or if I'd still needs new rotors.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #10
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Honestly what I would do is lube the pads properly and then re-bed them, getting them nice and hot. Could take care of it.

As far as cleaning the rotor with brakleen…some rotors come with a dry corrosion protection coating that doesn’t need to be wiped off before installation…and brakleen won’t take it off anyway. But a lot of rotors come with a “residue” coating that needs to be cleaned off as it will contaminate the brake pads
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 05:02 PM   #11
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Rotors got warped. Personally I'd only do a light bedding procedure if any. Getting the rotors real hot can warp them.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #12
bmwx5_50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just ordered a new warranty replacement, same exact set. Guess we'll find out in a week or so if that resolves my issue? Hopefully I can keep these operating properly.

Quote:
Rotors got warped. Personally I'd only do a light bedding procedure if any. Getting the rotors real hot can warp them.
Aren't they supposed to be able to get hot? I'm pretty sure I've experienced a few emergency stops with the OEM brakes and they never started vibrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 05:53 PM   #13
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5_50i View Post
I just ordered a new warranty replacement, same exact set. Guess we'll find out in a week or so if that resolves my issue? Hopefully I can keep these operating properly.

Aren't they supposed to be able to get hot? I'm pretty sure I've experienced a few emergency stops with the OEM brakes and they never started vibrating.
You think car manufacturers do any brake bedding? It's not that big of deal on a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:51 PM   #14
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Some pads manufacturers say that bedding is not needed, especially for ceramic brakes. Brembo recommendation is actually to avoid sharp breaking and overheating:
https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/e...dding-in-90374
Quote:
Bedding in
Upon replacement, the pads and discs, must be road tested.
Bedding in lasts about 300 km, during which it is essential to check for vibrations and noise from the brakes, both when driving and braking

The braking must be effective and brief and gradual brakes must be performed to allow proper alignment of the pad surface in contact with the disc.

Extremely sharp or violent braking can cause overheating of the friction material of the pads and disc, eventually compromising the integrity and the performance of brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 01:54 PM   #15
bmwx5_50i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the help and recommendations everyone. I just replaced my rotors and pads with the same Brembo types, and will claim warranty for the old ones. Unfortunately, I just noticed that after 20 miles of driving there's a noticeable scratch/gash on the left rotor.
It doesn't look like something got caught on the pad. Otherwise it would be a circular pattern. Casting defect? I really don't want to return and install another set...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 03:56 PM   #16
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5_50i View Post
Thanks for the help and recommendations everyone. I just replaced my rotors and pads with the same Brembo types, and will claim warranty for the old ones. Unfortunately, I just noticed that after 20 miles of driving there's a noticeable scratch/gash on the left rotor.
It doesn't look like something got caught on the pad. Otherwise it would be a circular pattern. Casting defect? I really don't want to return and install another set...
That defect will affect nothing. If your brake shudder is corrected, be happy and move on.

If it comes back, I would wonder if you adequately cleaned the rails during the job? Also, did you fully seat the caliper piston back plenty? The pistons can get sticky -especially if you do not flush brake fluid regularly.

As was mentioned by another member, Akebono pads and PowerStop rotors will work terrifically for a fraction of the cost of the Brembo stuff.
Appreciate 0