01-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Possible high-pressure fuel pump issues

A couple of times I've gotten the "drivetrain failure" message on my 2015 X5d when I'm at highway speeds and the car goes to downshift on acceleration. I took it to my independent shop and he said it's a problem with the high-pressure fuel pump. Remembering there is a recall on this item, I took it to the dealership near me. They also see the high-pressure fuel pump failure code but won't replace it under the recall unless there is some evidence of failure (like metal shavings in the fuel filter, which they didn't see). I guess the code isn't sufficient enough to trigger the recall. The service advisor said that the contacted BMW North America and said I got the "drivetrain failure" message because I was low on fuel when it happened (I had probably half a tank at the time). Either way, I shouldn't get a failure when just being low on gas. I told the service advisor that's ridiculous.

Next week they're going to pull the fuel tank out and look for metal shavings in there. This doesn't make sense to me because the high-pressure fuel pump is not in the fuel tank.

Has anyone else had any experience with this particular problem and have any advice to convince the dealership to actually do the replacement under recall?

Last edited by Jon_Hanson; 01-22-2022 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Had the same issue about 2.5 years ago and my dealer replaced my pump with just the codes generating. I also replaced all coils/spark plugs and both mafs.
      01-23-2022, 06:14 AM   #3
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Are you saying that your dealer won’t replace the HPFP that’s been recalled unless they find evidence of failure?

I would think if your VIN is within the range, they replace it once you are notified and when the parts are available.

Also, see this post for more details:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1847232
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      01-23-2022, 07:59 AM   #4
danasn
Rep
Drives: E70d F15d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Hanson View Post

Next week they're going to pull the fuel tank out and look for metal shavings in there. This doesn't make sense to me because the high-pressure fuel pump is not in the fuel tank.
In diesel if HPFP fails it sends metal shards through whole system. Fuel tank, fuel lines, injectors - everything needs to be replaced. It's no way to clean it out. And if it's not done properly injectors or new HPFP will fail prematurely
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      01-23-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
danasn
Rep
Drives: E70d F15d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Had the same issue about 2.5 years ago and my dealer replaced my pump with just the codes generating. I also replaced all coils/spark plugs and both mafs.
OP has a diesel. Different components with a different issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Check your VIN against the Recall

I would certainly look up "BMW Recall Campaign #21V-586: High-Pressure Fuel Pump."

You can then look up your VIN number and see if it falls within the affected range of this recall. If it does, then you are to receive an updated HPFP no matter what your dealership says. If they refuse, reach out to BMW Customer Relations.

Further, if your center is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you can reach out to the Administrator of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-800-424-9153, or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 08:08 PM   #7
docent777
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35D

Mine is 2015 x5 diesel with 69K had high pressure pump failure, at first I thought it was bad fuel, I was adding water absorbent and other additives. Replaced part 13537801992
Pressure regulating valve on back side of fuel pressure rail, hoping it is cause of the problem, but it did not work, during acceleration was getting warnings and engine shut off couple times on a highway. Dealer found metal shavings in the tank and inside fuel pressure rail. They replaced everything fuel related, starting with the fuel tank, fuel level sensor, fuel lines, injectors... whole system, and best part it was covered under extended warranty. Car was in the shop for a week.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #8
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Doesn’t sound like your fuel pump, it could be the the pump pressure sensor on the fuel rail. The hpfp is a good or bad part, it wouldn’t give issues intermittently.

It could be your timing chain is loose. Since the chain is attached to the hpfp. Maybe see if there is a rattle, google n57 timing chain rattle and then see what you got.

The other thing it could be is a leak after the hpfp, but it’s rare for that to be intermittent
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2023, 05:49 PM   #9
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
Doesn’t sound like your fuel pump, it could be the the pump pressure sensor on the fuel rail. The hpfp is a good or bad part, it wouldn’t give issues intermittently.

It could be your timing chain is loose. Since the chain is attached to the hpfp. Maybe see if there is a rattle, google n57 timing chain rattle and then see what you got.

The other thing it could be is a leak after the hpfp, but it’s rare for that to be intermittent
I have had the HPFP fail and it did in fact give issues very intermittently for a few thousand miles before it all out failed. Felt almost like the trans was slipping, but revs didn't go up--it took a few times of it happening before I fully believed that it was.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 09:17 AM   #10
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
I have had the HPFP fail and it did in fact give issues very intermittently for a few thousand miles before it all out failed. Felt almost like the trans was slipping, but revs didn't go up--it took a few times of it happening before I fully believed that it was.
Updating an old thread with new data point. I'm inclined to agree with Vivek, that the HPFP is intermittent before it goes. I've been experiencing sputter and stutters with no check engine lights. Recent 8hr road trip seemed to reveal something in the fuel delivery system is on it's way out and I'm inclined to believe the HPFP is the culprit. Up until this point I thought it was my imagination, but now under heavier load (accelerating into traffic) I can replicate the issue.

Appreciate 0