BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
Zizo
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 35d, '06 Tacoma

Headlight Rock Chip Fix

I've got a '17 w/ LED headlights, and the previous owner must have done lots of highways miles. The lenses have lots of very small rock chips and nicks. From 10' back the lens looks clear, it's not hazy or anything. But up close you can see all the damage. So to my question...

I know there are lots of headlight restoration kits that make you sand and polish the lenses, then apply some kind of UV coating to make the lenses clear again. Is there another route to take to repair the lenses? I've used plastic lens polish to take out some scratches on the kombi before, but that was interior, so I'm hesitant to try that. I assume these lenses have some kind of special UV coating, right? I've heard some people apply clear coat in a spray can to help, but IDK how that would look. I really don't want to damage anything, considering how expensive these headlights are. I've searched and not found much on this topic. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizo View Post
I've got a '17 w/ LED headlights, and the previous owner must have done lots of highways miles. The lenses have lots of very small rock chips and nicks. From 10' back the lens looks clear, it's not hazy or anything. But up close you can see all the damage. So to my question...

I know there are lots of headlight restoration kits that make you sand and polish the lenses, then apply some kind of UV coating to make the lenses clear again. Is there another route to take to repair the lenses? I've used plastic lens polish to take out some scratches on the kombi before, but that was interior, so I'm hesitant to try that. I assume these lenses have some kind of special UV coating, right? I've heard some people apply clear coat in a spray can to help, but IDK how that would look. I really don't want to damage anything, considering how expensive these headlights are. I've searched and not found much on this topic. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
The best way is to sand as much of the damage out as you can and then clear coat as you mentioned. You want to use a 2k product tho (hardener/catalyst and clear). IDK if I would trust the UV inhibitors of a spray can.. What I would do is see if a local body shop would spray them for you for a couple hundred if you removed them yourself and dropped off.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

you have a few options. here's my input from cheapest to more spendy.

buy 3M kit and polish headlights $
buy 3M kit, polish headlights and then apply a 2k clear $$
buy 3M kit, polish headlights, apply a 2k clear, wait a 30days and apply a PPF $$$
remove headlights and take to a shop (or DIYer) to swap out the lens. then apply a PPF $$$$-$$$$$

IMO, you should apply a PPF whichever route you take.
      11-06-2023, 05:50 PM   #4
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

I replaced my headlight covers last year. Its not crazy bad if you got experience with bmw headlights, but definitely a job. I painted inner trim matte black , got new covers on, and put ppf over them to avoid any rock chips/debris damage
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #5
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
I replaced my headlight covers last year. Its not crazy bad if you got experience with bmw headlights, but definitely a job. I painted inner trim matte black , got new covers on, and put ppf over them to avoid any rock chips/debris damage
I just painted all my inner trim matte black too but the non textured parts I did gloss black, and bought orange halos (can be changed to white with different wire) as well as orange eyebrow (can also be changed to white). Did you have to cut your old lens off too? I had to cut mine off and then heat and pull the rest of it out of the glue channel on the headlight housing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #6
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
I just painted all my inner trim matte black too but the non textured parts I did gloss black, and bought orange halos (can be changed to white with different wire) as well as orange eyebrow (can also be changed to white). Did you have to cut your old lens off too? I had to cut mine off and then heat and pull the rest of it out of the glue channel on the headlight housing.
Yes thats the process with the permaseal glued headlights. No other way , definitely could be challenging to many, but doable, end result is 💯 worth the work
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:06 PM   #7
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Yes thats the process with the permaseal glued headlights. No other way , definitely could be challenging to many, but doable, end result is 💯 worth the work
Where did you get your lenses? Were you able to research or find out if one supplier has a better quality than another? I got mine from Bimmer jakes on eBay, claimed that there are grade a and grade b..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #8
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
Where did you get your lenses? Were you able to research or find out if one supplier has a better quality than another? I got mine from Bimmer jakes on eBay, claimed that there are grade a and grade b..
I got mine from the company in russia, i sourced my e70-e90 headlight parts from them when i used to rebuild headlights. Leans were stamped same as factory lens, so i am pretty happy with the quality
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 06:57 AM   #9
Zizo
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 35d, '06 Tacoma

Thanks everyone for the great input! I don't know if I'm brave enough to to replace the lenses. heard too many stories of fogging up headlights! I tried a headlight restore kit on my other car in the past, and the Final step of the UV coating came out very streaky, so I'm hesitant. Hopefully the newer kits are better. But yes, PPF would be the best bet after the lenses are fixed up for sure!
Appreciate 0