BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

Recommendations for front lip F15 M sport

I had OEM BMW front carbon fiber lip on my X5. I used two sided tape to hold it in place.
It has been 3 years and the lip finally got lose and ripped off on the highway.
I want to replace the front spoiler with something that can be secured better.
Any recommendations? I am looking for something aggressive like the OEM X5M front lip and prefer carbon fiber. Thanks for any help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
I had OEM BMW front carbon fiber lip on my X5. I used two sided tape to hold it in place.
Any recommendations? I am looking for something aggressive like the OEM X5M front lip and prefer carbon fiber. Thanks for any help in advance!
did you use double sided tape on the lip and bracket or just the lip? what tape did you use?

RW makes the 3d lip rep. that looks pretty good too.
      09-03-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
did you use double sided tape on the lip and bracket or just the lip? what tape did you use?

RW makes the 3d lip rep. that looks pretty good too.
Yep used 3M Auto molding tape the strongest one. I applied it ever where I could plus some extra spots. Over time it gave away and I reapplied it. Same results every time it somehow pulls down. It has to do with force that is applies at the front of the car at high speeds.. Only seems to happen on the highway going 85+ mph. Looking for a front lip that screws in instead. I have one on my Tesla that was well designed and hold no issues even at 120mph.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 12:14 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

i hope i have better results. i also applied 3m primer for better adhesion. to clarify, it's pulling off the bracket and not the bracket from the bumper?
      09-05-2023, 07:51 AM   #5
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i hope i have better results. i also applied 3m primer for better adhesion. to clarify, it's pulling off the bracket and not the bracket from the bumper?
Correct the bracket remained intact on the bumper the lip came off the bracket and as its only held by 2 side tape. Its a crappy situation, I was on the way down to the beach with the family and X5 loaded. The spoiler must have been pulled down the front of the car and started scraping loudly. I pulled over and the spoiler was damaged and half missing. Had to rip it all off and toss it on the side of the road all while cars speeding by at 80+ mph. The front lips design is just poor and should have a lot more screws holding it in place.
I am considering this on as replacement appears to have good number of screws.
https://ninteshop.com/products/for-b...=4011543111282
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I would get the OEM front lip again and install using betalink adhesives which is the correct way to install this lip from OEM. The 3M adhesives will fail. Has failed on me multiple times even with the bracket and screws. I now have my lip installed with the adhesives and its not moving at all.
      09-05-2023, 09:46 AM   #7
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Yep used 3M Auto molding tape the strongest one. I applied it ever where I could plus some extra spots. Over time it gave away and I reapplied it. Same results every time it somehow pulls down. It has to do with force that is applies at the front of the car at high speeds.. Only seems to happen on the highway going 85+ mph. Looking for a front lip that screws in instead. I have one on my Tesla that was well designed and hold no issues even at 120mph.
I have a Maxton Designs front lip that is held in place using the original 5 mounting bolts for the front bumper and double sided tape. Haven't tested it at 85 mph though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:04 AM   #8
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
I have a Maxton Designs front lip that is held in place using the original 5 mounting bolts for the front bumper and double sided tape. Haven't tested it at 85 mph though.
Was looking at this one myself, are the bolts pre drilled or do you have to kinda eyeball it and make it up as you go?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As of right now the Maxton only comes in glossy black.
I wanted to get one thats CF or CF look.
The Ninete one I posted appears to have quite a few holes I assume it requires drilling which IMO is superior to 2 side tape or using a combination of the 2 would be much better. I am going to reach out to company to see if they can give me better details.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I would get the OEM front lip again and install using betalink adhesives which is the correct way to install this lip from OEM. The 3M adhesives will fail. Has failed on me multiple times even with the bracket and screws. I now have my lip installed with the adhesives and its not moving at all.
I've thought about this as well but have PPF on the front bumper. Not sure how the Betalink will hold. Also looking to change it up bit go more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 09:52 PM   #11
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 MSport + VW GTI

Quote:
I thought I'm the only one, and I got myself in the same situation on the highway when my oem carbon front splitter dropped and damaged right away on the highway :-( I too only have the 3M tap holding my front splitter.

I want to attempt fixing the carbon piece, but I also need to replace the original mounting pieces as one of the bracket got torn off. Does anyone where I can just get the mounting gears?

Last edited by hamh; 09-05-2023 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #12
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
Was looking at this one myself, are the bolts pre drilled or do you have to kinda eyeball it and make it up as you go?
Holes are pre-drilled. The surface where the tape goes is pretty well defined too. Pretty easy install, I left the plastic film on the tape, mount the lip up without fully tightening the bolt, then remove the plastic film when the lip is in place then tighten up the bolts to make full contact.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 06:44 PM   #13
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holes are pre-drilled. The surface where the tape goes is pretty well defined too. Pretty easy install, I left the plastic film on the tape, mount the lip up without fully tightening the bolt, then remove the plastic film when the lip is in place then tighten up the bolts to make full contact.
Would you be able to post a picture? They only have gloss black but I do like how it looks overall. Really wanted CF

Edit ordered the Ninte CF look one as they said it is held in by screws. Will post some pictures once I install.

Last edited by PanthersFX; 09-10-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 09:27 AM   #14
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Following up on my Tread with pictures in case it helps anyone.

Just to recap had OEM M Front Lip. Came off on the highway had to be ripped off the car. Decieded to go with something that bolted in better. So far happy with the look and its installed tight, not worried about it flying off at 90MPH.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
shimmy232350.00
ggunn9160.00
FCX52382.00
      11-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #15
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

nice! that looks pretty aggressive. would you say it hangs down a good 2" or so below the bumper?
      11-05-2023, 02:29 PM   #16
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
I feel your pain. I had a 435 that I RIVETED a front lip to and it made it less than a week with a trip up to 105mph and it blew apart. I’ll never run a lip again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #17
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
nice! that looks pretty aggressive. would you say it hangs down a good 2" or so below the bumper?
Yeah about 3 inches or so, depending on where you are measuring.
I did have to do some thinking and re-engineering the install though. It did not come with any instructions and felt like the screw count vs # of holes was off.
There are 4 pieces. the middle bottom piece looked like it would not stay in place so I used multiple bolts and nuts.
Everything is is screwed in with self tapering screws on the bottom of the bumper. I went out of the way to add 3M VHB tape in addition on any part connected to the bottom bumper.
I would be shocked if this comes apart like the OEM M spolier its bolted in well.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #18
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

It's too bad that the X5 lips do not wrap around the bottom part of the front bumper like my old e92 front lip. I was thinking about purchasing a front lip but with all of these stories of them flying off or getting damaged at what I believe is ok fast speed (90+), I'm hesitant now to pick one up next season.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 08:57 PM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Mine is the OEM M Performance lip installed by the dealer. I believe they use betalink. It seems bolted on. I would get OEM if possible. It looks the best IMHO.
Appreciate 0