BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #1
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hey everyone! So I recently swapped out my OEM 19” 449M Michelin Latitude HP RFT to 20” 469Ms staggered Conti DWS6 NON-RFT. After reading through the forum, I was expecting an equal or slightly better ride going from RFT to NON-RFT as many said to expect. I know 20s would make it a little more harsh versus 19s, but was expecting the Non RFT tire to balance that out.

Road noise is much higher and I’m feeling more rolling “resistance” than I did on my 19s. The latter likely due to the difference in sizes and maybe weight?

The tires I got on the 469Ms still have decent tread on them, but I may try to purchase a new set of DWS6 to see if that takes away some of the road noise. Everyone seems to really like them.

Should I notice that much difference going from 19-20 in a RFT vs Non RFT? The noise is basically just tire noise, the faster I go, the louder it gets. That’s why I’m hoping it’s just uneven wear or something and maybe new tires will fix that. My wife won’t be happy if the tires are louder than the radio. LOL. Little does she know I have 22s for summers! Oops.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Are the 20” tires you installed used? Tire noise comes from hardness of the tire (age, compound) and/or tread wear. Sizing up shouldn’t increase road noise.

I’ve noted my 20” RFT are silent when new, but slowly begin to make noise as the miles climb.

Below are tires I’ve used on my X5d’s (4 sets total).

Noticeable Noise Range:
Pirelli RFT - 20k-33k miles

Continental RFT - 12k-36k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:26 PM   #3
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the reply!
Yes, the tires are used, I bought the 469s w/tires from a member on here and they seem to have some decent tread life left, but maybe uneven Treadwear. I’m thinking I need to go new and get an alignment. The tires are Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus 275/40/20 fronts and 315/35/20 rears.

I hear great things about these tires from everyone in regards to going non RFT, but wasn’t prepared for the road noise. I guess I’ve been too lucky in terms of my 19” Michelin RFTs being so quiet.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #4
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityBMWX5 View Post
Thank you for the reply!
Yes, the tires are used, I bought the 469s w/tires from a member on here and they seem to have some decent tread life left, but maybe uneven Treadwear.
That has to be why you are hearing road noise. That previous X5 wore the tire tread a certain way due to suspension and alignment settings. Mounting them on yours will certainly differ and may stay that way for a little while until they wear in to your X5's settings.

If they are still soft (fingernail check) and not too old, it may be worth trying to wait it our or take them to a tire store that can shave them down. If there isn't a lot of tread left, then perhaps it time to toss them.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That makes complete sense. I’ve decided to just purchase a new set from DiscountTire and will have them on by the holidays to see if that resolves, which I imagine it will!

Thanks for your follow up!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
That makes complete sense. I’ve decided to just purchase a new set from DiscountTire and will have them on by the holidays to see if that resolves, which I imagine it will!

Thanks for your follow up!
Good call on new tires, I'm so leery of used tires, personally.

FWIW my 21's ride identical to my 20's in terms of comfort and road noise, Michelin tires on both. I can't imagine there's that much difference between 19's and 20's if you have comparable tires on each.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I've had several sets of Conti DWS06 tires... they are not quiet. They perform decent, but there are much better tires available too.
      12-20-2022, 02:51 PM   #8
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Good call on new tires, I'm so leery of used tires, personally.

FWIW my 21's ride identical to my 20's in terms of comfort and road noise, Michelin tires on both. I can't imagine there's that much difference between 19's and 20's if you have comparable tires on each.
Yeah these seem to be quite loud, though I’ve been used to a pretty quiet cabin, so my untrained ear could be picking up on it more so. I just purchased a new set of TPMS from Ben with black valve stems so it will complete my new set!

I have 22” Vossen VFS2s on the way and am picking up a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for summer shoes. Hoping those are as quiet as can be as well!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #9
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I've had several sets of Conti DWS06 tires... they are not quiet. They perform decent, but there are much better tires available too.
What would you say are the quietest/best ride quality for 20s Non RFT if not the DWS06?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
What would you say are the quietest/best ride quality for 20s Non RFT if not the DWS06?
since you're after an all terrain, michelin pilot sport AS4.

that being the suggestion, lets talk snow. do you drive in it and how often? is it worth getting a dedicated winter tire like the michelin alpin?
      12-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
since you're after an all terrain, michelin pilot sport AS4.

that being the suggestion, lets talk snow. do you drive in it and how often? is it worth getting a dedicated winter tire like the michelin alpin?
I’m only using All seasons on these 469s for winter wheels, so I will have these as my dedicated snow tire. Not that I’m against going for a real winter tire. I live in Chicago, so we get our fair share of snow. I will have MPS4s on my 22s for summer!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #12
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
I’m only using All seasons on these 469s for winter wheels, so I will have these as my dedicated snow tire. Not that I’m against going for a real winter tire. I live in Chicago, so we get our fair share of snow. I will have MPS4s on my 22s for summer!
check out the michelin alpin tires. i'd get those bs any all season if this is your dedicated winter setup
      12-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Hey everyone! So I recently swapped out my OEM 19” 449M Michelin Latitude HP RFT to 20” 469Ms staggered Conti DWS6 NON-RFT. After reading through the forum, I was expecting an equal or slightly better ride going from RFT to NON-RFT as many said to expect. I know 20s would make it a little more harsh versus 19s, but was expecting the Non RFT tire to balance that out.

Road noise is much higher and I’m feeling more rolling “resistance” than I did on my 19s. The latter likely due to the difference in sizes and maybe weight?

The tires I got on the 469Ms still have decent tread on them, but I may try to purchase a new set of DWS6 to see if that takes away some of the road noise. Everyone seems to really like them.

Should I notice that much difference going from 19-20 in a RFT vs Non RFT? The noise is basically just tire noise, the faster I go, the louder it gets. That’s why I’m hoping it’s just uneven wear or something and maybe new tires will fix that. My wife won’t be happy if the tires are louder than the radio. LOL. Little does she know I have 22s for summers! Oops.
i went the reverse from 20 staggered to 19 square. 469 to 467. both were from OEM run flat to run flat. The ride quality (comfort and noise) was lower on the 19. I have since switched to non run flat DWS 6+. I don't notice any change from the run flats. If anything, the non run flats are a little too bouncy for me. I believe the X5 was built for 19 inch square run flats. Just my guess…anything else you are sacrificing ride quality for style. One benefit for me going from 20 to 19 is that I still have the higher top speed.
Appreciate 0