BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
AxelDoobie
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

2015 X5 Service History

I recently got a 2015 X5 xDrive35d and the Land Rover dealer I bought it from did not supply me with service history. This car has about 80k miles on it and I need to know if/when the previous services happened. What is the easiest way to get this?

Some people on youtube showed that they were able to get the service history from within the car itself, see image below

But on my car I dont seem to have that option to view the history, I can just see the last time any of these items were taken care of. It also seems to be missing a lot of other valuable info, like when the spark plugs were changed, coolant changed, etc, etc.

Anyways, whats the best way to get detailed service history?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Go to the dealer. Buy a car fax.

Most dealers won’t just hand this over unless you have a solid service history and relationship with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
AxelDoobie
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Go to the dealer. Buy a car fax.

Most dealers won’t just hand this over unless you have a solid service history and relationship with them.
I didnt buy from a BMW dealer though, would my Land Rover dealer where I bought the car from somehow have access to these systems or am I barking up the wrong tree with them?

Carfax sounds like the easiest way but I'd first like to confirm that it has ALL of the same info and not just a small subset. Do you think it would? Its a bit hard to justify forking over $40 unless it has everything
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #4
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I wouldn't spend money on a carfax service history as anyone can enter anything they want on there. I update my carfax service rexord whenever I service the car, but it's me doing the services and me entering the info and I have no desire to lie to myself.

Even a BMW service history is just proof someone paid for the work. It isn't proof that the work was actually done. I know more than one dealer mechanic who has admitted that they will sometimes "burn" a job if time is short. Stuff like coolant changes where they know a customer won't be able to tell if it was done.

Basically, my philosophy is, if I didn't do it myself, then it wasn't done.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 11:59 PM   #5
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelDoobie View Post
I didnt buy from a BMW dealer though, would my Land Rover dealer where I bought the car from somehow have access to these systems or am I barking up the wrong tree with them?

Carfax sounds like the easiest way but I'd first like to confirm that it has ALL of the same info and not just a small subset. Do you think it would? Its a bit hard to justify forking over $40 unless it has everything
Well, some info is better than none. You can get the verdad for $5 all day long. Do a search on here.

Land Rover? Was the car serviced there? They might tell you. No way to know other than to ask.

The Carfax will tell you how many owners and where it was serviced.

At least it will get you somewhere.

But yeah, it’s all a bit meh. If you wanted a fresh start I’d do every fluid and plugs and start afresh. That way you really, actually know.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #6
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I have a decent relationship with the BMW dealer although I do my own regular service, not theirs. They seem willing to print out a summary of the previous work done to any BMW I’ve taken to them regardless of where it was purchased - obviously it’s not a guarantee but it sure is a helpful clue about it perhaps being a lemon (constantly in for service) or neglected (almost never in for service). I know when I’ve sold cars (and purchased them) having a decent service history available can really help. Guarantee? Not exactly, but some peace of mind. Yes. Go in to your BMW dealer and strike up a conversation with a service advisor - talk to them about the services they offer and then ask very nicely if they’d furnish you with the basic service history to be sure all the services are up to date. I’d think most would oblige. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Since you are due for a BRAKE FLUID service...I'd bite the bullet and schedule an appointment to have the brake fluid changed at a BMW dealership. When you hand your remote to the SA (service advisor) they will pass it through a reader and your service history will come up.

If you ask nicely...and let them know that this is an initial service for a new vehicle...could they give you the service update...like what service has been registered. They may tell you...and if you ask for a copy and they decline you...respond back (nicely) if the reason is due to personal info from prior owners...ask them if they can REDACT their personal info so that you can have a service history.

The RR dealer won't have access to the BMW NA database unless they also sell/service new BMWs. Asking the RR dealer for BMW service history would be like going to your water utility to ask for gas or electric info for you home. Unless the same company provides both services...they won't have access to the other utilitiy's services.

BTW, you can also click the following link to find out how much some of the services for your BMW will cost at your local BMW dealerships. If the Brake Fluid service isn't listed...then just give them a call to ask how much that service costs. Just enter your vehicle info and your location then click on the local dealerships that appear to see which BMW Value Services they offer and what the cost is for your vehicle: https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice

If your local BMW dealerships are like many across the rest of the country...they have been "upping" their services...and many will do a walk-around video of your BMW as they walk around doing a brief inspection. They may or may not discover and point out issues depending on the previous maintenance of your X5. Even if they find a lot of things...you'll be informed as to what you may need to do soon, or next, or prepare to DIY, or have someone else do the work.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-26-2023 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
      01-28-2023, 08:06 AM   #8
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

In the picture it shows the as blue in the service menu, is there a way to get that added in? I don’t have that in my ‘14.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #9
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
I wouldn't spend money on a carfax service history as anyone can enter anything they want on there. I update my carfax service rexord whenever I service the car, but it's me doing the services and me entering the info and I have no desire to lie to myself.

Even a BMW service history is just proof someone paid for the work. It isn't proof that the work was actually done. I know more than one dealer mechanic who has admitted that they will sometimes "burn" a job if time is short. Stuff like coolant changes where they know a customer won't be able to tell if it was done.

Basically, my philosophy is, if I didn't do it myself, then it wasn't done.
entering the carfax in car care doesn't actually show up on the history report. at least that's how i understood it. not just anyone can change the carfax history report
      01-28-2023, 02:25 PM   #10
TaraRene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
entering the carfax in car care doesn't actually show up on the history report. at least that's how i understood it. not just anyone can change the carfax history report
Haven't checked to see if it would change the carfax report, but you can change/add things in the car care history.

I've done that with mine on a few things that didn't get reported on my history in my car care - a cpl was stuff the dealership did and stuff I've done myself. (Which obviously on the latter, that's the only way to report that kind of thing)

With that being said - it seems possible things might be reported that weren't actually done.

Now I'm curious what's showing on my carfax report.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:30 PM   #11
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRene View Post
Haven't checked to see if it would change the carfax report, but you can change/add things in the car care history.

I've done that with mine on a few things that didn't get reported on my history in my car care - a cpl was stuff the dealership did and stuff I've done myself. (Which obviously on the latter, that's the only way to report that kind of thing)

With that being said - it seems possible things might be reported that weren't actually done.

Now I'm curious what's showing on my carfax report.
Yeah. Go get one. $5 ppl sell them on here. Search, monkey, search :-)
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 01:25 AM   #12
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Fair enough, I didn't pay much attention to the carfax when the dealer I bought from sent it to my via email. Once I figured out I could update the service record that's about all I use it for. It's handy for keeping track of what I have done as I am terrible about keeping receipts and writing stuff out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:33 AM   #13
4lex
Aussie
Rep
Drives: Lots

Coincidentally I have discovered today that this condition - missing service history in idrive - can be caused by the use of a third party tool called SHM_Lite designed to facilitate writing the service history to the vehicle..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:41 AM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Why not go to a BMW dealership and purchase a PPI? That way, it'll be checked out top to bottom and you'll know exactly what it needs (or doesn't).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:02 PM   #15
ZX535D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35D 1998 M3 2003 540i

Quote:
But on my car I dont seem to have that option to view the history, I can just see the last time any of these items were taken care of. It also seems to be missing a lot of other valuable info, like when the spark plugs were changed, coolant changed, etc, etc.
If you bought an X5 35d and you're wondering why the service menu doesn't show when the spark plugs were changed, I have to ask do you realize you bought a Diesel? Or is it actually a 35i?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 11:05 PM   #16
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Why not go to a BMW dealership and purchase a PPI? That way, it'll be checked out top to bottom and you'll know exactly what it needs (or doesn't).
They aren’t going to open your diffs and check the status of your fluids… at least, not the last time I went for a PPI at a BMW dealer. They’re only gonna look for broken or leaking stuff, which does provide some value for sure.
Appreciate 0