BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Need Urgent help answer: Collisions repairs and BMW Warrany

My 2015 X5 35d was rear-ended and the insurance is about to approve and finalize estimate from a local body shop where my X5 is at now. This body shop is not a BMW Certified Collision Repair Center, but my local BMW dealer designates and highly recommend it (my X5 was first towed to this BMW dealer, which then sent it to this body shop) . The closest BMW Certified Collision Repair Center is more 100 miles away. Most repairs are exterior body components, and all replacements parts are BMW OEM ones. My question is: Does using a body shop, which is not a BMW Certified Collision Repair Center, void/invalidate my X5 BMW manufacture Warranty? Or, Can BMW or a BMW dealer service center denies or not honor any service covered by BMW manufacture warranties, mostly, the 50,000 miles/4 years warranty because not using a BMW Certified Collision Repair Center for collision repair before? Or does use a BMW certified and non-certified body shop make any difference in terms of BMW manufacture warranties?

Thank you very much

Last edited by milkyway; 01-20-2015 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Your warranty does not cover collisions...it covers parts damage/failures ...so, unless your collision affected electronic parts or something like that, it doesn't matter where you take your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Your warranty does not cover collisions...it covers parts damage/failures ...so, unless your collision affected electronic parts or something like that, it doesn't matter where you take your car.
Thank you for your quick response. I agree, BMW manufacture warranties do not cover collision, which is covered by the at-fault driver's insurance now.

My question is: After this collision repair and in the future, can BMW and dealers deny any warrantied services (not caused or can't prove by this collision damages or by inappropriate body shop work) for all services and components (including all OEM Parts replaced, like driver front and knee airbag modules from this collision repair) covered by the warranties because a non-Certified BMW Collision Repair Center was used before?

I understand from your answers to above question is BMW and its dealers can't deny any warranty work down the road regardless which body ship used before.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Insurance company should not rush you. Warranty should be good if OEM parts replaced. Dealer recommended may get kick backs. I would seriously consider the bmw authorized shop despite distance helps on resale. Research the shops for reputation. Carfax will report collision hence try to get compensation for depreciated value. There are some threads on this. I hope all in car are OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Is this a lease or a purchase? If it's a lease you don't care

Is the insurance company also compensating you for "diminished value" (they should - your car will now show as in a crash on Carfax etc, so is worth less).

Do you have the option of taking it to the dealer to have it repaired? If they choose to subsequently sub it out to the local bodyshop, then that's on them....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
NVRfollo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

find a shop that you trust or ask people you know. not all shops are equal. since your car is less than 1 year old, the insurance company must replace all damage parts with new parts. when the insurance company gives you the check, do NOT cash it. take the check down to the collison repair shop of your choice. while they are doing the repair, they will most likely need more money than what the insurance company quotes. the repair shop will deal with all that if did not cash the check immediately. once again, the key is to find a good shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Is this a lease or a purchase? If it's a lease you don't care

Is the insurance company also compensating you for "diminished value" (they should - your car will now show as in a crash on Carfax etc, so is worth less).

Do you have the option of taking it to the dealer to have it repaired? If they choose to subsequently sub it out to the local bodyshop, then that's on them....
Not leased but partially financed. I'll definite seek DV with at-fault driver's insurance after the repair is done(I have posted thread on this about week a ago seeking advices).

I did send it to my local BMW dealer initially but it doesn't have a body shop which sent it its designated/highly recommended one, which indeed a best local body shop specialized BMW/Merced.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRfollo View Post
find a shop that you trust or ask people you know. not all shops are equal. since your car is less than 1 year old, the insurance company must replace all damage parts with new parts. when the insurance company gives you the check, do NOT cash it. take the check down to the collison repair shop of your choice. while they are doing the repair, they will most likely need more money than what the insurance company quotes. the repair shop will deal with all that if did not cash the check immediately. once again, the key is to find a good shop.
Thank you, I'm keeping in mind all the good advices!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

OEM parts, and do not worry about a thing
Appreciate 0