BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Thumbs up 2015 X5 - mini review and pics.

I took delivery of my X5 last month at the Performance Center and since then have put almost 1600 miles on it. Wanted to share my thoughts, do a mini review and share some pics too.

I traded in my 2012 E70 50i and my daily driver is a 2011 E92 335i (got the X5 for my wife). First some details about the options we chose.

2015 X5 50i
Luxury Line
Black Sapphire Metallic
Terra Dakota Leather
Fineline Pure Wood Trim
Driver Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Executive Package
20" Light alloy Y-Spoke wheels style 451-with performance run-flat tires
Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension
3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension

Color Option and PCD
This is my first black vehicle, not a big fan of black cars but If were ordering for myself I'd choose Carbon Black if going with Msport. Most of my vehicles have had black interiors so I wanted something lighter. Ivory white looks so majestic especially with a dark ext color but with two toddlers in tow I could visualize myself scrubbing the seats every few days. That was enough for me to opt for a darker interior. Mocha was still too dark for my taste so I chose Terra Dakota. It has held up well to crayons so far.

Had a lot of fun at the performance center, great guys. Perfect way to take delivery of your new vehicle.

50i vs 35i
I spent a lot of time going back and forth deciding between these two. Didn't want the diesel so never gave that option any thought. As we all know the V8 X5 is significantly faster and more powerful than the I6 variant, no surprises there, but I feel that its not just the extra power that sets this SUV apart. The handling and driving dynamics to me felt completely different than the 35i and I always felt I was driving a completely different car whenever I test drove it. If I lived in an urban environment with bumper to bumper traffic then maybe I would've opted for the 35i but where I live and drive there are plenty of opportunities to put it through its paces, and suffice it to say this SUV is a beast!

MSport vs Luxury line
To me the X5 in MSport form looks stunning. It has so much presence and the thick MSport steering wheel with the anthracite headliner goes perfectly with the character of the vehicle. But sadly they don't offer MSport with the 3rd row + DHP. So I had to "settle" for the luxury line, but when I saw it in person I was pleasantly surprised. It looks a lot prettier in person than it did online.

MSport + MAdaptive vs DHP
My main objective was to get the most comfortable ride possible after living with the E70 with its very stiff suspension. The standard suspension felt quite soft which was perfect for my needs but it had more body roll than I was used to. Since Madaptive doesn't address body roll, I decided to order the DHP. It's difficult to order an option that most people (including BMW CA's) don't understand and one that costs this much especially when there is no switch to turn it on or off and no visual indicators that it's working. But I can assure you that you will definitely FEEL it working. Drive a car with and without DHP and the difference is night and day! I can't believe how planted this car feels in corners with almost no body roll. It's just unreal how well this SUV handles. If you're even remotely considering this option then my suggestion would be not to think too much about and just go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Other Options
DA and DA+ are also must have options IMHO. Just the other day I was following a Van on a back road and I briefly looked down to set the fan speed, and I heard a loud beep. As I looked up the van had stopped to take a turn and I was fast approaching its behind. Before I even hit the brakes the car had applied them on its own and I was able to avoid kissing the rear bumper of the van. This option has already paid for itself in my situation.

Surround view is another must have option. I couldn't believe how many X5's on dealers lots didn't have this option. Coupled with the rear traffic alert system with the extra wide rear view it is an excellent safety feature.

MC seats - yet another must have option. These are among the most comfortable automotive seats I've had the pleasure of sitting in. My wife gets irritated with the million options on it and can't seem to get it right to fit her exactly as she wants it but I think that's just user error. Spend the time to get it right and you'll be rewarded!

Executive Package. I didn't care about soft close doors but now that I have them I love this feature. But still, I wouldn't order it if it didn't already come bundled up in a package.

Same goes for ceramic controls, look pretty and makes the interior look upscale but they're not necessary, the interior is amazing as it is. Love the manual shades for rear passengers.

HK is barely adequate, much worse than the premium sound I had in my E70. I can't even imagine how bad the regular sound option must be. Still I wouldn't consider getting B&O as the price for that is ridiculously high and I'd rather go after market.

Final Thoughts
I get impressed by this vehicle every time I drive it. A significant upgrade from our E70 in every way, looks, driving, comfort and sportiness. I'd do it again in a heart beat. The only thing I regret is the loss of automatic high beams. That was a very useful feature for me on the E70 as I drive the X5 mostly at night and for some reason they decided to bundle it with LED lights, which I really wanted but couldn't convince myself to spend $1900 for a neutered option (in the U.S.).

After bringing her home.

Some comparison shots with the previous versions.

11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 6
      06-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.87]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Next to the previous gen, it looks much better, congrats
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Sigh.... I miss my deep sea blue E70.
      06-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Congrats and a great write up man.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Next to the previous gen, it looks much better, congrats
I agree, it makes the previous gens look so dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Sigh.... I miss my deep sea blue E70.
That was my favorite color in that generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
Congrats and a great write up man.
Thanks!
11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Nice post!
PCD was an awesome experience for us,too.

Enjoy!