BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Ok... So most things in the BMW are reversed from my Acura (up vs down on turn signal/washers, etc) but one I'm having a tough time with is the pushbutton stop. Push once and the accessory power is on (one push on the Acura was a dead stop). However, two clicks should completely deaden (minus map lights) the car, correct? The LED strips are still on... BUT, most importantly, the doors won't consistently lock unless I use the key fob. When I touch the door handle I see the lock thingy trying to move down, but it won't. I have been able to do it... I just don't think I'm doing anything differently and it used to be so easy one previous car. Press stop button... Get out... Touch handle and door locks. What am I missing???

It's weird and I know I've got to be doing something wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

This is the case for me on my X5.
Press once to stop the engine.. radio and air is still running.. here you can get out and shut the door then lock it and everything will shut off. The shifter stick will still emit "P" for a few moments and shut down. I press the button again and it shuts the radio and air off then I close the door and lock the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
This is the case for me on my X5.
Press once to stop the engine.. radio and air is still running.. here you can get out and shut the door then lock it and everything will shut off. The shifter stick will still emit "P" for a few moments and shut down. I press the button again and it shuts the radio and air off then I close the door and lock the car.
A double click of the stop button doesn't "always" allow me to use the handle to lock. It leaves me feeling that a door is open or something of that nature. However, a click of the key fob locks the doors and gives the chime indicating it's locked.

I was hoping a user error for the inconsistency.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep

That is really weird. Swing the dealer and show it to your Service adviser.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is really weird. Swing the dealer and show it to your Service adviser.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping it was illogical German engineering that I needed to get used to. My muscle memory has been Japanese since 2001.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping it was illogical German engineering that I needed to get used to. My muscle memory has been Japanese since 2001.
I know what you mean... the shifter in M/S position which allows you to manually shift to lower and higher gears is different direction from the japanese cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know what you mean... the shifter in M/S position which allows you to manually shift to lower and higher gears is different direction from the japanese cars.
I keep turning the wipers on instead of just giving it one swipe. Same with the turn signals. And the volume control is on the wrong side of the steering wheel. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
greekmike
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i,

Quote:
BUT, most importantly, the doors won't consistently lock unless I use the key fob. When I touch the door handle I see the lock thingy trying to move down, but it won't. I have been able to do it... I just don't think I'm doing anything differently and it used to be so easy one previous car. Press stop button... Get out... Touch handle and door locks. What am I missing???

If you look at the top of all the door handles you should see some ridges; you touch that small area to LOCK the doors.
To unlock you put your hands behind the handle as if you are opening the door.

Here is a BMW USA video showing how it's done.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmike
Quote:
BUT, most importantly, the doors won't consistently lock unless I use the key fob. When I touch the door handle I see the lock thingy trying to move down, but it won't. I have been able to do it... I just don't think I'm doing anything differently and it used to be so easy one previous car. Press stop button... Get out... Touch handle and door locks. What am I missing???

If you look at the top of all the door handles you should see some ridges; you touch that small area to LOCK the doors.
To unlock you put your hands behind the handle as if you are opening the door.

Here is a BMW USA video showing how it's done.
Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
I keep turning the wipers on instead of just giving it one swipe. Same with the turn signals. And the volume control is on the wrong side of the steering wheel. Lol.
[scratches head] What's backwards about the turn signals? Up on the stalk is right signal, down on the stalk is left... Or are you referring to the one touch lane change indicator (3 flashes)?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604
Quote:
[scratches head] What's backwards about the turn signals? Up on the stalk is right signal, down on the stalk is left... Or are you referring to the one touch lane change indicator (3 flashes)?
Yep.

And on a side note... I think I figured it out and am embarrassed to say. Lol.

Apparently my big gorilla hands were getting a little too close to the inside of the handle, so the door wanted to lock and immediately open.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
greekmike
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i,

Quote:
Yep.

And on a side note... I think I figured it out and am embarrassed to say. Lol.

Apparently my big gorilla hands were getting a little too close to the inside of the handle, so the door wanted to lock and immediately open.
There have been times it's happened to me too.

One other cool thing I noticed about locking the door using the handle is you can push the lock on the handle while passengers are still getting out of the car. For example if some of the passengers are slow to get out and the doors and you have already closed the driver's side door. After the last door closes the car will automatically lock itself and you will hear the beep. I'm using my BMW 550i as a reference point and I assume the X5 will work the same way.

There is also a setting on iDrive which will change the lock behaviour if you want it to only unlock the driver's door instead of all doors.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep

^^ I do this all the time.. sometimes my wife has stuff in the back seat and I usually get out first, close the door and touch the area to lock it.. when my wife is in the back seat grabbing her stuff and closes the door the car locks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
^^ I do this all the time.. sometimes my wife has stuff in the back seat and I usually get out first, close the door and touch the area to lock it.. when my wife is in the back seat grabbing her stuff and closes the door the car locks
I love this too. My wife's Volvo won't let you lock until all the doors are closed. So I have to stand there like a toolbag waiting for everyone to get their shit together and get moving.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

when we picked ours up at Spartanburg last week, the delivery advisor specifically pointed out
that many people are on the lock and unlock at the same time when trying to lock it, and that we should
be careful to ensure we only touch the ridges

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #16
tiwahu
Gamertag: Boardwalk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
...hands were getting a little too close to the inside of the handle, so the door wanted to lock and immediately open.
Haven't needed to on the X5 yet, but on my 1 I routinely use my elbow to lock the door (e.g., when carrying a coffee and a bag for work in each hand). Super convenient! I have noticed the X5 comfort access door handle is a bit more sensitive, although pleasantly more responsive.
Appreciate 0