BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

? for those with Black 469M's

I have a mineral white MSport 50i and looking to powder coat my wheels black. I didn't think I wanted gloss black but more the semi or satin black. Those of you who have powder coated your 469M's can you tell me what color you went with and add a pic? Some gloss black look OK while others look to glossy. I don't know of colors are all the same for powder coating by the shop I'm going with has 5 options: Super Wet (too glossy), gloss, semi gloss, satin (flat/sheer like) and vulcan(glossy gun metalish). I don't want that super shinny look nor the flat, more of in between. Sample pictures from the shop site are a little deceiving since different wheel samples. They do have one of the 469M with semi gloss but the angle/lighting it was taken with also looks like it's gloss black when comparing to other wheels. Hoping you guys can chime in and help me decide.
      07-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
I have a mineral white MSport 50i and looking to powder coat my wheels black. I didn't think I wanted gloss black but more the semi or satin black. Those of you who have powder coated your 469M's can you tell me what color you went with and add a pic? Some gloss black look OK while others look to glossy. I don't know of colors are all the same for powder coating by the shop I'm going with has 5 options: Super Wet (too glossy), gloss, semi gloss, satin (flat/sheer like) and vulcan(glossy gun metalish). I don't want that super shinny look nor the flat, more of in between. Sample pictures from the shop site are a little deceiving since different wheel samples. They do have one of the 469M with semi gloss but the angle/lighting it was taken with also looks like it's gloss black when comparing to other wheels. Hoping you guys can chime in and help me decide.
Gloss is now very in, exotics have for the most part gone all glossy. The matte craze has faded and to be honest the black matte wheels always look dirty.

The deep look of the gloss has a richness to it, plus have it ceramic coated and it will stay looking classy.

Now that's all just my perspective but thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The super glossy is a clear powder coat over the base color. Straight up gloss powder coat doesn't have that deep wet look without the clear added.

Your RIG your rules !
Appreciate 4
duercos201.00
P111593.00
MizikeTSK143.50
      07-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36>F16>G30

I'd go with the glossy one as well
Appreciate 1
MizikeTSK143.50
      07-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

? for those with Black 469M's

Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

My are semi gloss
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I wouldn't worry about it looking too glossy - the brake dust will fix that really fast

I love my black wheels but they are unforgiving. I got some kind of chip, I'm guessing from a rock or something. It's not curb rash, and it's only about 1/4 inch wide but it sticks out like a sore thumb from the contrast of the silver against the black.
      07-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

I know you are going black, but for sheen purposes here is an idea of what powder coat with a coating of semi-gloss clear looks like.

My color is called glimmer. Up close it appears to almost have some metal flake in it. I was going for something that matched as close to the space gray as possible.

Just to give you a heads up from my experience, the glossier you go the more imperfections will show through from any wheel scratches or a bad powder coat job. I've had about 5 sets of wheels coated and the first set I went with as glossy as a clear as the shop had. The wheels looked great from afar but like crap close up. The shop did a poor job in the clean/prep step and a half as job with the powder coat. It was grainy and textured and all the wheel imperfections stood out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MizikeTSK143.50
      07-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
I know you are going black, but for sheen purposes here is an idea of what powder coat with a coating of semi-gloss clear looks like.

My color is called glimmer. Up close it appears to almost have some metal flake in it. I was going for something that matched as close to the space gray as possible.

Just to give you a heads up from my experience, the glossier you go the more imperfections will show through from any wheel scratches or a bad powder coat job. I've had about 5 sets of wheels coated and the first set I went with as glossy as a clear as the shop had. The wheels looked great from afar but like crap close up. The shop did a poor job in the clean/prep step and a half as job with the powder coat. It was grainy and textured and all the wheel imperfections stood out.
Yea true to point!

Finding a good powder coat company is very important as they will prepare the wheel better and you will get a better finish.

A black rim just like a black car will show everything.

You have to care for black rims differently than normal wheels because of that issue of showing wear, if going with a black wheel you may also want to consider changing your brake pads to that of a low dust variant. Go longer without having a wash And also ceramic coat the wheels so that brake dust will not adhere and etch itself into the finish. Also don't use car washes with wheel brush as it will mark the shit out of the finish as they are pretty abrasive.
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

My are semi gloss
Image didn't come through.
      07-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Gloss is now very in, exotics have for the most part gone all glossy. The matte craze has faded and to be honest the black matte wheels always look dirty.

The deep look of the gloss has a richness to it, plus have it ceramic coated and it will stay looking classy.

Now that's all just my perspective but thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The super glossy is a clear powder coat over the base color. Straight up gloss powder coat doesn't have that deep wet look without the clear added.

Your RIG your rules !
Quote:
Originally Posted by duercos View Post
I'd go with the glossy one as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I wouldn't worry about it looking too glossy - the brake dust will fix that really fast

I love my black wheels but they are unforgiving. I got some kind of chip, I'm guessing from a rock or something. It's not curb rash, and it's only about 1/4 inch wide but it sticks out like a sore thumb from the contrast of the silver against the black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post

Thanks for your input all! I'll probably will be going with Gloss Black then and ceramic coat them for extra protection. Did BMW come out with a low dust option for brake pads? Mine to look to bad compared to my wifes F30 MSport.
      07-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Gloss is what you want my friend. Definitely get them ceramic coated as well ..it'll make cleaning them a breeze.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Gloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_tz View Post
Gloss is what you want my friend. Definitely get them ceramic coated as well ..it'll make cleaning them a breeze.
Here mine. Semi gloss I believe
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MizikeTSK143.50