BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Sdrive35i

Possibly new X5 owner/questions

Hello everyone. I’m currently in the market for a 2017-18 X5. There is a 2017 X5 Sdrive35i with the m package that I am currently looking at with 59k miles and they are asking 29k for it. They are giving me a good amount for my trade and wanting to pull the trigger on it. Any issues or concerned with this mileage? Is this considered high mileage for this vehicle ? The overall shape of it is 9.5/10 and it drives amazing.

Thanks in advance !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Price is ok. Sdrive are not my type but depends on where you live, climate and use. They usually trade at lower price, maintenance is less (is it ?).
You can find Xdrive 2017, 50K miles, M package for same price.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I have a 2017 Space Gray X5 myself, with only 13K miles, so 59K miles seems really high to me. Though I'll acknowledge 13K is pretty low... but again...59k seems high.

With that said it's hard to say if the price if right w/o knowing how it's optioned. The 'M Package' which is more commonly referred to as 'M Sport' is one of many packages and options available on the F15 X5. You could have M Sport and not much else, and it would be considered a stripper model. Many people think M Sport means 'loaded'

What else does it have? I don't see the Lighting or Cold Weather Package. Can't tell if it has Premium or Driver's Assistance Package w/o the VIN. There's a ton of available equipment available on these X5's - active steering, adaptive drive and/or DHP, leather dash, ceramic controls, luxury seating package (comfort seats + ventilated seats), 3rd row seating, comfort rear seats, rear seat entertainment, H/K or B&O sound, parking assistant...

Overall these are reliable vehicles, unless you're comparing it to a Honda or Toyota. And if you're doing that, then you shouldn't be shopping a BMW. In the X5 world, the 35i is the most reliable and cost effective option. But not the most fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #4
Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I have a 2017 Space Gray X5 myself, with only 13K miles, so 59K miles seems really high to me. Though I'll acknowledge 13K is pretty low... but again...59k seems high.

With that said it's hard to say if the price if right w/o knowing how it's optioned. The 'M Package' which is more commonly referred to as 'M Sport' is one of many packages and options available on the F15 X5. You could have M Sport and not much else, and it would be considered a stripper model. Many people thing M Sport means 'loaded'

What else does it have? I don't see the Lighting or Cold Weather Package. Can't tell if it has Premium or Driver's Assistance Package w/o the VIN. There's a ton of available equipment available on these X5's - active steering, adaptive drive and/or DHP, leather dash, ceramic controls, luxury seating package (comfort seats + ventilated seats), 3rd row seating, comfort rear seats, rear seat entertainment, H/K or B&O sound, parking assistant...
Here is the full option list
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I'd say for a 35i is pretty nicely optioned. It's not 'loaded' but it's also hard to find a 35i really loaded up IMO.

This car was probably close to $70K new with those options, so $29K seems fairly reasonable despite the higher mileage.

If you love the way it drives and it has all the features you want, try to make a deal on it - these are great vehicles
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:17 PM   #6
Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I'd say for a 35i is pretty nicely optioned. It's not 'loaded' but it's also hard to find a 35i really loaded up IMO.

This car was probably close to $70K new with those options, so $29K seems fairly reasonable despite the higher mileage.

If you love the way it drives and it has all the features you want, try to make a deal on it - these are great vehicles
Thanks for your input !
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Update to my post up: with the options listed to me the deal is good.
The only thing I would prefer for you is Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
Update to my post up: with the options listed to me the deal is good.
The only thing I would prefer for you is Xdrive.
I wanted to get an x drive but there's no point for that option for me atleast. I live in the Houston area and it's gonna be on the pavement during my ownership. No snow down here either and eliminates the possibility of transfer case failure etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Have you seen the warranty report, any idea of how the car has been maintained? The problem with buying from third party dealer is lack of visibility. Car might need every fluid refreshed. What condition are tires in, the runflats 20s wear very fast. Suggest you ditch for normal tires at purchase time.

Plus no CPO warranty - what is your plan on that front? Do you like to do the smaller stuff yourself, or will you be paying mechanic for everything? Couple of questions to ask before pulling trigger. GL!
      08-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Have you seen the warranty report, any idea of how the car has been maintained? The problem with buying from third party dealer is lack of visibility. Car might need every fluid refreshed. What condition are tires in, the runflats 20s wear very fast. Suggest you ditch for normal tires at purchase time.

Plus no CPO warranty - what is your plan on that front? Do you like to do the smaller stuff yourself, or will you be paying mechanic for everything?Couple of questions to ask before pulling trigger.
How could I pull up the warranty report ? Only maintenance reports I could see are on the car fax and has been very well maintained. I will more than likely do all the work myself if needed

If I do purchase it I will check on all of the fluids regardless of what they say. They put brand new run flats on the truck as well

Any preventative maintenance that should be done ?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Unfortunately warranty report only from a BMW dealer. You can call and ask but they have no reason to say yes. CarFax better than nothing.

New tires are nice plus. Preventative maintenance - you'll get lots of opinions on that one. Search this forum. Research the N55 engine, which by BMW standards is pretty proven and reliable.

Personally for us transfer case (which you don't have) and transmission fluids are on my list for next year. We're a few K behind you in miles.
      08-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #12
Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately warranty report only from a BMW dealer. You can call and ask but they have no reason to say yes. CarFax better than nothing.

New tires are nice plus. Preventative maintenance - you'll get lots of opinions on that one. Search this forum. Research the N55 engine, which by BMW standards is pretty proven and reliable.

Personally for us transfer case (which you don't have) and transmission fluids are on my list for next year. We're a few K behind you in miles.
Thanks for the info ! I've done some research on the engine and it seems to be pretty reliable. Only preventative maintenance besides oil changes I've seen were the plugs around this mileage. They go out at right under 100k and seem to throw codes that can be confusing but is caused by the plugs going bad. Other issue I've seen is 02 sensor going out at around 100k. Other than that they seem solid. I originally wanted a 50i but they seem to be very problematic.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvador View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info ! I've done some research on the engine and it seems to be pretty reliable. Only preventative maintenance besides oil changes I've seen were the plugs around this mileage. They go out at right under 100k and seem to throw codes that can be confusing but is caused by the plugs going bad. Other issue I've seen is 02 sensor going out at around 100k. Other than that they seem solid. I originally wanted a 50i but they seem to be very problematic.
There are a lots of owners of 50i without any major problems. Is it less reliable than a 35i? Probably ,but having driven both I can't imagine an X5 without the power of the V8. Mine has 65k miles right now and the owner before didn't have any issues either so knock on wood
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

There are a lots of owners of 50i without any major problems. Is it less reliable than a 35i? Probably ,but having driven both I can't imagine an X5 without the power of the V8. Mine has 65k miles right now and the owner before didn't have any issues either so knock on wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Also true ! I have seen a ton of 50i owners with zero issues as well. But to be on the safe side I went with the 35i. My uncle has had 2 50i X5s and had tons of issues but he loved the truck and just dealt with it. I don't think I could do that though haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #15
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

The 35i is more than adequately fast i can't talk down on that engine and with a little tune it's even better!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

2016 X5 S Drive here with 31k miles.
Love the car and rear drive.
Bought and driven in Florida since new however spent the last winter and year in Michigan while building another house there.
Replaced the 20 inch staggered run flats with Contis DSW and never noticed any difference between that and wife’s AWD New Explorer!
I was actually very surprised.
So pay leSS upfront and get less later.
Thinking less costly issues down the road too.
I normally keep cars 2 to 3 years and no one in my family can believe my reaction to The. X5.
Wonderful car. You won’t regret it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #17
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Just bought an 2015 x5 Xdrive 35i Msport with driver assistance Plus and Luxury seating, rear entertainment package. it pretty much fully loaded specd at 76K$. The only option it doesn't have is Harmon Kardon, Nightvision aswell as adaptive cruise and adaptive LED. The color combo is Space gray metallic and mocha interior. Mileage is 59K miles and price I purchased is 25K$