BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

Diagnosing a potential transfer case issue?

Hi all, need some advice.

I have a 2018 x5 35i.

For the past couple months (right after my warranty expired ) on my summer pirelli tires I was experiencing a light shudder/tug when coasting at low speeds, coming to a stop, and when turning left. I suspected it to be a transfer case issue but am not entirely sure if thats what it is.

The thing is, I switched to winter tires a few days ago, and the issue seems to be about 95% gone. Now, I only ever feel the shudder on random sharp left turns that i take from a stop, and it seems more subtle.

Does this sound like it could still be the transfer case? Is there a way I can test it myself? I do have an appointment with a local mechanic to diagnose it next week but not sure they'd even be able to replicate the issue with my winters. I believe I can unplug the transfer case to test it in RWD, but not sure if this is safe to do?

Also not sure if this is related, but figured I'd mention it. I noticed while changing my tires that my rear summer tires for some reason are more worn on the outside (3mm tread remaining on the outside, 6mm on the inside), while the fronts are 6mm even all over. The winter tires that I've used for the same number of seasons don't have this uneven wear pattern.
Appreciate 1
Jars914658.00
      11-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill View Post
Hi all, need some advice.

I have a 2018 x5 35i.

For the past couple months (right after my warranty expired ) on my summer pirelli tires I was experiencing a light shudder/tug when coasting at low speeds, coming to a stop, and when turning left. I suspected it to be a transfer case issue but am not entirely sure if thats what it is.

The thing is, I switched to winter tires a few days ago, and the issue seems to be about 95% gone. Now, I only ever feel the shudder on random sharp left turns that i take from a stop, and it seems more subtle.

Does this sound like it could still be the transfer case? Is there a way I can test it myself? I do have an appointment with a local mechanic to diagnose it next week but not sure they'd even be able to replicate the issue with my winters. I believe I can unplug the transfer case to test it in RWD, but not sure if this is safe to do?

Also not sure if this is related, but figured I'd mention it. I noticed while changing my tires that my rear summer tires for some reason are more worn on the outside (3mm tread remaining on the outside, 6mm on the inside), while the fronts are 6mm even all over. The winter tires that I've used for the same number of seasons don't have this uneven wear pattern.
Do a little search and you will find plenty of threads on unplugging the fuse for the transfer case. It is plenty safe. Drove around like that for 2 months while I waited for my new one to come in. It's a simple fuse in the passenger foot well.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Thats how the dealership (still under warranty) diagnosed ours. First they thought it was plugs and coils so they replaced those. It was still happening so they disconnected the transfer case and it went away. They fixed it under CPO warranty, around $7k.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
jg425
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x35i

I had a similar issue when I changed my tires from runflats to non-runflats. I changed the transfer case fluid and have not had the shudder since.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

I figured I would update this thread incase someone else is having the same issue.

I ended up pulling the fuse (fuse #63 under the glove box) to disable the transfer case. After doing that, I was able confirm that the issue was indeed the transfer case.

I took it to my local indy shop and they changed the fluid and recalibrated. They charged me $250 canadian (~$190 usd). It's been about a week now and everything seems good now.

Thanks Maverik259 Florida-X5 jg425
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

Did you look at enough threads to see tires listed as a cause? I would hope the shop would check but in the event the issue starts up again be sure that tires are all similar height. The clutch pack in TC is tolerant of very small tire differences but a difference can make the clutch pairs slide by too much. Over time the small constant clutch apply pressure wears the clutches a small amount and it "poisons" the fluid and stick-slip shudder comes back.
Appreciate 0