BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2014, 03:32 AM   #1
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

New X5 3.0d MSport delivered!

Hey folks,

Have taken delivery of my new 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black, Ivory White/Black Nevada leather
Loving it so far, though I've driven 30 miles to date. Ride quality is better than expected, and switching from Comfort to Sport mode noticeably livens up the drive.

Apologies for the quality of the pics, there wasn't much room to manoeuvre, but I really should have taken a proper camera.

Spec listed below. I've put some first impressions next to each option :

Comfort Seats - found my sweet spot already. They are really comfortable, even more so than on my previous F11. One downer, the centre armrest padding is a bit thin, so feels less comfortable.

Active Security Package: Dynamic Safety, Ext Folding and auto dimming mirrors, Lane Change Warning System - All works as expected. The lane change vibration is more subtle than I expected and isn't a pain. The dynamic safety tightens up your seatbelt as you are driving off to remind you its working.

Driving Assistant Plus with ACC + Traffic Jam Assistant - I've posted comments on the TJA in another thread, but the ACC works much better than on my F11. It keeps track of vehicles going round bends better, stays closer to the vehicle in-front, very little lag when resuming, and overall inspires more confidence than the previous gen.

ConnectedDrive Services - all works well. Can't get my head around iPhone apps. Who wants to keep connecting their phone to a USB cable everytime they get in the car? This should work via BT, or Wireless. RTTI is excellent.

Harmon Kardon - it's good but I'm a little underwhelmed. Not sure why.

Pano Glass sunroof -love it! It's not exactly suntan weather but I've been driving round with it open just because I can

Sun protection glass - just is

Third Row Seating - I'm 6'1 and reckon I could sit back there for 20-30 mins at a push, longer if there was no-one sat next to me. The middle row seats slide forward to give more space.

Adaptive Headlights with HBA (Xenons) - awesome feature, very responsive to dip individual beams while maintaining High Beams. Great value.

Internet - not played with it much. Not sure how useful it will be seeing as I'll have the iPhone with me, and it doesn't work at speed. In the UK it's now a 3G connection, and it's noticeably faster compared with the previous GPRS connection.

Heated Front Seats -very warm, very quickly

Heated Steering Wheel - the new M-Sport steering wheel feels much nicer than the F15 SE Sport wheel, which is what I had in my F11. Much more tactile. Unfortunately it doesn't get as warm as the older wheel design. Not sure if it's just mine or others have the same 'issue'?

Reverse Assist Camera - very good, though its got smudges already

Comfort Access - working well so far, but with a blip. I was winding up my oldest daughter by asking her to open it when locked without a key. She couldn't of course, but I then stood next to my youngest and she opened it NP. She really couldn't figure out how come her younger sister could open it so easily. Anyway whatever she did trying to get it open, the CA stopped working on that door. The jokes on me I guess, damn! All the other doors and trunk worked fine. I left it a few hours, tried again, and it's working again, and has worked without issue since. Phew, but weird.

19" alloys - aesthetically they don't look as good as the 20's but the compromise is cheaper and easier to source tyres, plus better ride quality. Unfortunately it came with summer tyres so I'm going to need a winter setup after all Debating whether to get wheel and tyre package, or just tyres. For reference for UK customers the summer tyres I have are Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV SSR.

Any questions give me a shout

Last edited by archivedaccount; 01-31-2014 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Pics!

... and here are the dodgy pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #3
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

congratulation on new car can you describe more how it drives and what MPG did you get in 30miles?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
Manatee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport (F15)

Looks great! More or less the same spec as I'm going for! Love the Carbon Black/Ivory White combination - just wondering whether Ivory White is good choice for my 6 year old rear seat passenger
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 04:45 AM   #5
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovec1990 View Post
congratulation on new car can you describe more how it drives and what MPG did you get in 30miles?
Thanks! It's not even worth me posting the MPG, as it's been sat with the engine running so I didn't flatten the battery playing with the toys. I've done that in the past and needed to call BMW Assist for a jump start. Apparently its more common than you might think. I have a long drive this weekend, with 7 people onboard so will reset the OBC and post back with the MPG.

The ride is sweet. Only issue is on roads with subsidence at low speeds. It can roll a bit which is disconcerting, moving you around in your seat, but I put that down to the height of the vehicle. I experienced similar in a full fat range rover offroad. Pot holes, imperfections, grates, no problem! I've noticed I no longer subconsciously drive around these types of obstacles, which I used to do in my F11 SE with 18" RFT's. My previous 4x4's have been a LR Discovery 3 and Discovery 4, and 3 x E53's, so it's not like I'm coming from cars with bad suspension and any suspension would be an improvement.

In sport mode its an absolute blast! Not taken to the limit yet, but still more fun than the 5 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
Looks great! More or less the same spec as I'm going for! Love the Carbon Black/Ivory White combination - just wondering whether Ivory White is good choice for my 6 year old rear seat passenger
Cheers! I part-ex my 3 year old F11 with Oyster/Black interior. We have a 6 year old and a 4 year old, and the dealer was impressed at the colour and quality of the leather throughout. Never cleaned it (other than mini valet) and no leather care protection. I also wear blue jeans regularly and no issues. Hope it's the same with this one
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Eaglesrest, Great review and lovely car!
I'm waiting for my M in the Ivory Black too - am certainly happy with my colour choice.

Good to hear about the various features and that they're as expected or better.
How did you find the Traffic Assist - if this is half as good as advertised I might go looking for traffic!
The 19" wheels look really good - agree about your point re aesthetics - at end of the day cost of replacement wheels and functionality win out here!
Why did it come with summer tires? Did you request this or was it "as standard"

Last edited by x5pilot; 01-31-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Many Congrat!

I'm interested in the Summer Tyres. Thought the spec. was All Weather run flats.

Are you having any paint/glass/leather/wheel protector?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
I will never, never, never get used to seeing the steering on the opposite side of the car...freaks me out...Nice ride!!!!!
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Congratulations - looks really good.

I think all M Sport in the UK come with summer tyres.
All season tyres are an option on 18' and 19" SE models and 20" 551 only. It seems a strange policy by BMW UK

Looking forward to hearing how the trip goes this w/e when you are 7 up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
Great to hear you are pleased so far Eaglesrest, and keep the write ups coming, they make the wait bearable!

Roll on week 11 and I can do a review
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Thanks all.

I was surprised it came with summers and was expecting AS. I think Sean has it nailed, but might be worth asking the dealer if AS can be requested on msport. I certainly didn't see the option.

Traffic assist is really good, but only works on the motorway which is a shame. It's also an odd sensation resting your hand on a wheel that's constantly moving. I'd prefer to have both hands off the wheel but understand the safety implications.

Not sure about int/ext protection- any suggestions? I didn't want the overpriced dealer package, but might get some from elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Thanks all.

Traffic assist is really good, but only works on the motorway which is a shame. It's also an odd sensation resting your hand on a wheel that's constantly moving. I'd prefer to have both hands off the wheel but understand the safety implications.
How does it know you're on the motorway versus another? eg a dual A road?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It must be using the sat nav data. It knows as soon as you are off a slip road.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Another M-Sport! I love it! She's beautiful!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Ok first run out today 160 miles round trip on motorway, A roads and B roads (mostly A roads). Car fully loaded with 4 adults and 3 kids plus buggy, goodies, coats and bags. Motorway speeds were 75mph max, A roads 60mph.

I was tempted to try Eco pro mode but ended up using comfort mode, with ACC engaged 95% of the time.

Average mpg was 32.5 which I think is pretty good considering.

I had high beams active the whole 2 hr journey back and didn't get flashed once the car didn't miss a beat and all commented on how comfortable and quiet it was. Very happy buyer!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Congrats! nice wheels..even though they are 18", it reminds me of the old E70 X5///M double spokes 20"wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #19
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
Congrats! nice wheels..even though they are 18", it reminds me of the old E70 X5///M double spokes 20"wheels.
They are 19" wheels actually, but I agree they look more like 17/18's from some angles. The 20's fill the arches better, but I think for the perfect aesthetic blend, 21" wheels are required. I left them as 19" 'assuming' I'd get All Season tyres fitted as standard. If I'd know the UK 19" wheels came with summer tyres I'd have bought the 20's for summer, and gotten a 19" set for winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
Congratulations - looks really good.

I think all M Sport in the UK come with summer tyres.
All season tyres are an option on 18' and 19" SE models and 20" 551 only. It seems a strange policy by BMW UK

Just had confirmation from the dealer I ordered my 3D M Sport with 20" wheels that it DOES come with All Season tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

Baunton why do you want all season tyres they arent good during winter and during summer?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #22
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

He is from England. They get neither winter nor summer.
Appreciate 0