BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Coding Run Flat Tires

A lot of people, if not all at some point, change their runflat tires to regular tires with feedback that the ride is softer - even with 22" rims.

The F15 comes with runflat tires with an FA code of 258 - runflat tyres.

I suspect that the suspension is tuned for runflat tires and I wonder if we can get more performance from the suspension of we remove the FA code - 258.

I know bmw has a suspension algorithm for runflat and regular tires. I am wondering if anyone has tried to delete FA code 258 (i.e. Change to Regular tires) and can comment on the difference. I notice that when I switch to sport that the suspension gets super hard and then softens about 5 seconds later (258 code?). When I mean super hard, literally no movement in the suspension.

Does anyone have any experience that they can share.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I have another theory for the run flat coding is that it has nothing to do with suspension, but rather with the TPM sensors. When I have a flat on the TPM it still registers as low tire pressures, but once I switch to a donut spare with no TPM sensor the car doesn't even report tire pressures for the remaining three tires, but assumes the whole system is malfunctioning. I make these assumptions because people with standard suspension also have said coding and you can't do anything to that in comfort or sport modes.
Appreciate 0