BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover SVR — X5M (

Engine bay cleaning?

I just installed my RK intakes, and noticed that the engine bay is in need of a nice clean/detailing. I've never done it so I dont want to spray water in there.

How do you guys keep the engine bay clean? Lots of videos on youtube where they pressure wash it, is that safe?

any tips/recommendations appreciated ( and products you use )
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I've honestly always just used an old microfiber wash mitt with soap and water after washing the car itself. I don't have any problem spraying it with the hose, but generally use a shower setting (less pressure). Pressure washing would make me nervous, but I'm sure it would be fine as long as you keep your distance with the nozzle. I also only do it when the engine is completely cooled.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

i use 3 different brushes and APC. i've also used scrubbing bubbles but be careful not to get that in your pulleys. scrubbing bubbles works amazingly well for an initial deep clean if you've never cleaned your bay. after that, APC on a twice a year routine would keep it nice and clean to most peoples standards.

do not use an simple green or other products similar to that. too harsh for the hoses, rubbers, etc.

as for the pressure washer, it's fine but just ensure you aren't blasting the crap out of one area for a long time. use common sense and a 40* tip. i personally don't use a pressure washer on the bay. i don't think it's necessary with proper agitation.

cleaning our engine bay isn't any different from other car engine bay cleaning/detail. check out the detailing section below too. let's see that bay cleaned up with those RKs!! i've been wanting those
      05-05-2023, 09:20 AM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I spray mine with high pressure a few times a year. I avoid any kind of direct high pressure in delicate spots however. I usually do it after an oil change - I keep the engine cover off and then stop that week and lightly hose it down with soap and let it sit for a bit then hit it with rinse and only pull the handle for higher pressure on the outside areas in the engine bay and never get the nozzle too close. Never had an issue. I always use simply green on new cars that need to be cleaned up, but I find after that if I keep it sprayed off regularly - I don't get any more built back up.

I never tried scrubbing bubbles - I will have to try that!
      05-16-2023, 11:43 PM   #5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
2nd on scrubbing bubbles. Stuff is magic. Then hose down on shower setting. Then take a power blower while engine is running and spray off all the excess water. Let dry. Then fishing with Griots engine bay dressing!
2015 Porsche GT3
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2023, 04:23 PM   #6
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Wrap plastic shopping bags around any cone filters or alternator if exposed.
Spray Sonax engine cleaner + agitate with detailing brushes from Amazon.
Spray with water on light pressure to not drench areas with wires or rubbers.
Dry with blower and wipe down the rest.
Appreciate 1
Upurock47.00