BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2024, 07:55 PM   #1
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Possibly buying this X6M. Thoughts?

Hey all - I'm considering closing on this 2017 X6M from a dealer in Lynnwood, WA called Quality Auto Center.

The car has 1 owner, 34k miles and was originally imported from Vancouver and has been converted from Canada to US spec. I'm trying to do as much due diligence from a distance as possible (I'm in NY).

The dealer is completely fine with me getting a PPI anywhere I want so I picked a local auto mechanic that works on BMWs.

Would appreciate anyone's feedback here. One thing I noticed was a gap in service history between 2017 and 2021. Is that odd? Or is it possible the service wasn't reported?

Car: https://www.qautocenter.com/details-...3h0r44052.html

Carfax:https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...qcDwF7mctZmfIk
2017 Yas Marina Blue ///M3 | Silverstone | DCT
2018 Citrin Black 340xi | Dakota Black | 8-Speed Auto
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:33 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

What kind of feedback are you looking for? If you get a thorough PPI done, maybe even two, that should give you some peace of mind. But always be prepared for the unforeseen. It'll be an 8-year old BMW this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:37 PM   #3
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
What kind of feedback are you looking for? If you get a thorough PPI done, maybe even two, that should give you some peace of mind. But always be prepared for the unforeseen. It'll be an 8-year old BMW this year.
Just some feedback on the service history. I know sometimes events aren’t reported Carfax. But isn’t it a little weird the first owner wouldn’t have service history at a BMW dealer considering warranty?

Is it weird that the color was registered as black by Canadian DMV? A VIN decoder shows the color correctly matches what it is.

I intend on dailying this (about 7k miles / yr). Just trying to make sure I’m not going to get some weird surprise when it arrives
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:37 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATED_M View Post
Just some feedback on the service history. I know sometimes events aren’t reported Carfax. But isn’t it a little weird the first owner wouldn’t have service history at a BMW dealer considering warranty?

Is it weird that the color was registered as black by Canadian DMV? A VIN decoder shows the color correctly matches what it is.

I intend on dailying this (about 7k miles / yr). Just trying to make sure I’m not going to get some weird surprise when it arrives
Perhaps a good idea to call BMW and get the service history from them. Could be that previous owner lived too far away from the BMW dealership, perhaps owned his own dealership where he had the car serviced, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 01:36 PM   #5
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Perhaps a good idea to call BMW and get the service history from them. Could be that previous owner lived too far away from the BMW dealership, perhaps owned his own dealership where he had the car serviced, etc.
I actually called BMW Store in Vancouver and the Porsche dealer where it was serviced and they both confirmed additional service history dates that were not on the CarFax. They confirmed it was all routine maintenance which was comforting to hear
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      03-05-2024, 07:03 AM   #6
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Just be sure to get the PPI done. Not only for the mechanical stuff, but just to get a set of eyes on it for any major paint or interior issues. I bought mine out of state sight unseen and there were number of cosmetic things that the dealer did not disclose. I've had the car for over 3 years now and it's been great, but the dealer experience was horrible.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:48 AM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

i think another question is how does an x6m with only 34k miles end up at one of these small shady dealers (no offense).
      03-05-2024, 08:52 AM   #8
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
i think another question is how does an x6m with only 34k miles end up at one of these small shady dealers (no offense).
I thought this too but take a look at some of the cars they’re selling.

It’s getting a PPI today at Car Tender in Shoreline, WA which came very recommended on the forum. The dealer had zero hesitation to me getting an inspection which makes me feel better.

The car is also originally from Vancouver and was imported
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:02 AM   #9
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
I thought this too but take a look at some of the cars they’re selling.

It’s getting a PPI today at Car Tender in Shoreline, WA which came very recommended on the forum. The dealer had zero hesitation to me getting an inspection which makes me feel better.

The car is also originally from Vancouver and was imported
keep us posted. many of the cars sold at this place and other north of Seattle are originally Canadian cars. I'm not sure if they get deals on these, but when I was in the market nearly all from these types of dealers were imported. I've never heard of Car Tender.

jiggz you heard of Car Tender up there?
      03-05-2024, 11:49 AM   #10
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
keep us posted. many of the cars sold at this place and other north of Seattle are originally Canadian cars. I'm not sure if they get deals on these, but when I was in the market nearly all from these types of dealers were imported. I've never heard of Car Tender.

Will do - another forum member recommended them
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:18 AM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:

I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean they can't provide a good PPI.

I do agree and wonder how these smaller, oftentimes suspect car lots end up with these nicer lower mileage M cars. Most of these dealers get their cars via auction (close to nobody is walking into Quality Auto Center on HWY 99 in Lynnwood to trade in their X6M), usually because the previous dealer didn't want it or found too many issues to keep/sell it themselves.

I see a number of these smaller dealers in the PNW with a large inventory of Canadian cars

Quote:
Will do - another forum member recommended them
Please keep us posted on what you find out/what you end up doing with this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 06:36 PM   #12
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

I ended up passing on this car after a thorough PPI from Car Tender.

There were a number of KOMBI faults including CAN faults. There were also several misfire faults thrown.

The tach was apparently acting sporadic and was showing elevated RPMs even when the engine was idling and the accelerator wasn't pressed. The conversion from KPH to MPH was clearly not coded right.

Car sounded like an electrical mess so I said no thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      03-08-2024, 06:39 PM   #13
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

looks like Car Tender did a thorough job. another reason to be leary of these cars found at small dealers even tho they appear to be clean and have low miles...
      03-08-2024, 06:41 PM   #14
RATED_M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks like Car Tender did a thorough job. another reason to be leary of these cars found at small dealers even tho they appear to be clean and have low miles...
Yeah these guys were awesome and if I lived in the PNW I would highly recommend them. Very helpful and friendly staff
Appreciate 0