BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

02-04-2023, 06:52 PM   #23
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDEE666 View Post
Ordered the Bilstein yesterday and they shipped today. I'll report back.
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #24
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M CB on Aragon BM3 XHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Any updates?
Not really. They arrived on Tuesday and look really good. But it's currently 17*F here, so install did not happen today. Hoping to get them installed tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 07:01 PM   #25
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not really. They arrived on Tuesday and look really good. But it's currently 17*F here, so install did not happen today. Hoping to get them installed tomorrow.
Sounds promising and exciting!

Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 07:07 PM   #26
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds promising and exciting!

Fingers crossed.
Same here. And in the interest of a proper review, I've also been paying closer attention to handling on current bags under a lot of different conditions and in all 3 suspension modes, to really keep the before characteristics in mind. I'll try to replicate as best I can with the new bags.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 03:32 PM   #27
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, brief first impressions are very good! They installed very easily, and didn't leak overnight. I didn't have leaks before either, but it means install was correct. So far I've mostly only driven in traffic, but I did get to open it up and also take some exit ramps pretty hard. They definitely feel better and firmer, in a good way. Not at all harsh just feels more solid. The rear feels like faster responses. I didn't have much bounce at all before, and I seem to have even less. The exit ramp felt really good, flatter than the stock bags.

I was surprised how different they looked. The Bilstein rubber felt much better. And I had to pull the stock bag and extend it to see where the top clamp was. The Bilstein it's always visible, and also not in a fold like stock. And the diameter at that top clamp was a LOT bigger on the Bilstein. I wish I remembered to measure the diameter, but it's significant, as seen in the pic.

I will try to get some more driving tests later or tomorrow and update more. But so far it's a good impression.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
1norseman398.00
      02-06-2023, 04:13 PM   #28
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

When you say "the rubber felt much better," what do you mean? like it felt thicker? or more pliable?
      02-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #29
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
When you say "the rubber felt much better," what do you mean? like it felt thicker? or more pliable?
It was ribbed for pleasure 😂

It felt thicker and higher quality. Still squeezable, but more robust I guess.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
1norseman398.00
      02-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #30
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Some good news right there!

Thanks for the update.

I'm right behind you, my VTF is on the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #31
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some good news right there!

Thanks for the update.

I'm right behind you, my VTF is on the way.
Make sure you do either Dinan or M5 front bump stops, or the front will be very bouncy.

So, I still haven't had a chance to drive that much, but impressions are still good. Not as dramatic of an improvement as I hoped and wanted, but more than I expected, if that makes sense. I was afraid they would be no different, or worse, softer. Went over some rail tracks and it felt solid. Squat on hard acceleration is reduced, and that was one of my goals. And the rear feels less soft around turns and bends, also a goal.

I still want to get some higher speed tests, especially with some dips in the highway. I think for my preference, it might still warrant a rear Coilover setup and bypass the air system. But since these are similar price, it's nice to have a very good alternative to the Arnott bags, and from a very trusted name like Bilstein. I'd be very curious how someone with stock suspension (not lowered) thinks about them at those heights.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #32
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:

So, brief first impressions are very good! They installed very easily, and didn't leak overnight. I didn't have leaks before either, but it means install was correct. So far I've mostly only driven in traffic, but I did get to open it up and also take some exit ramps pretty hard. They definitely feel better and firmer, in a good way. Not at all harsh just feels more solid. The rear feels like faster responses. I didn't have much bounce at all before, and I seem to have even less. The exit ramp felt really good, flatter than the stock bags.

I was surprised how different they looked. The Bilstein rubber felt much better. And I had to pull the stock bag and extend it to see where the top clamp was. The Bilstein it's always visible, and also not in a fold like stock. And the diameter at that top clamp was a LOT bigger on the Bilstein. I wish I remembered to measure the diameter, but it's significant, as seen in the pic.

I will try to get some more driving tests later or tomorrow and update more. But so far it's a good impression.
What was the overall height vs the oem's? Looks a bit shorter in that picture.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:51 AM   #33
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The Bilstein measured 9" fresh out of the box. I didn't measure either one while on the car. But the stock measured 7" on the bench after I took them out of the car. The design is different though. The stock one had the top clamp down in a fold. So I had to pull the stock apart a lot to see that clamp. That's what's in the pic. You can see how most of the stock is brown and faded, but the top few inches are still black. That part was down in a fold. I'll see if I have other pics to explain better.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:56 AM   #34
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here we go. This was as removed from the car-

And this was after I extended the stock one to see the top clamp -

I would be really curious what an oem one measures brand new out of the box. I'm also curious about the F07 5 series GT bags too. Bilstein makes a set for that car too.
Appreciate 1
Chilled363.50
      02-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #35
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Here we go. This was as removed from the car-

And this was after I extended the stock one to see the top clamp -

I would be really curious what an oem one measures brand new out of the box. I'm also curious about the F07 5 series GT bags too. Bilstein makes a set for that car too.
So do you see any improvement over stock airbags? Especially being lowered?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 03:38 PM   #36
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So do you see any improvement over stock airbags? Especially being lowered?
Scroll up 👆
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 04:07 PM   #37
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

ENDEE666 Are you able to measure your ride height to fender? I'm on the Arnott's and think am having an issue where overnight they slightly drop and then hold indefinite.

So are you able to measure to the fender flair, after a drive and in the morning?

My full thread.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1925231
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #38
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
ENDEE666 Are you able to measure your ride height to fender? I'm on the Arnott's and think am having an issue where overnight they slightly drop and then hold indefinite.

So are you able to measure to the fender flair, after a drive and in the morning?

My full thread.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1925231
Sounds like you have a leak. That's not really the topic here. I have no leaks and no issues maintaining height, even when it sits for a few days. Did not have leak issues with stock bags or the new Bilstein bags.

The topic here is the ride quality and handling of the different bags. There are an abundance of other threads that discuss leak issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 04:36 PM   #39
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you have a leak. That's not really the topic here. I have no leaks and no issues maintaining height, even when it sits for a few days. Did not have leak issues with stock bags or the new Bilstein bags.

The topic here is the ride quality and handling of the different bags. There are an abundance of other threads that discuss leak issues.
Nah its not a leak, once it drops about 2cm it sits like that for a month+ without any further drops. Hence the question, of what is the ride height just after it's been running vs in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 05:46 PM   #40
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Nah its not a leak, once it drops about 2cm it sits like that for a month+ without any further drops. Hence the question, of what is the ride height just after it's been running vs in the morning.
It sounds like possibly an intermittent fault with your height sensor. But that's still not the topic here, in this thread. And I'm not stock ride height, so my height won't help you.

Good luck with your issues and your other thread though 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 11:26 PM   #41
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Scroll up 👆

Figured you have may more feedback as you're not really satisfied with the outcome yet.

Still thank you for the write up, very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 11:37 PM   #42
ENDEE666
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Figured you have may more feedback as you're not really satisfied with the outcome yet.

Still thank you for the write up, very helpful!
Definitely an improvement over stock airbags. Especially comfort wise when in comfort mode, and less lean and squat. Once I do some more driving under better testing conditions, I'll update more.
Appreciate 0