BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2024, 01:43 PM   #1
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Budget Coilovers F85

Before I start, if I had $3500 I would buy KW's.
Right, that's out of the way.

Does anyone have any more budget friendly coilovers and if so what are the upsides apart from the price and what are the downsides ?

I confess that I know very little about coilovers but have read dozens of posts about using them over lHR springs and adjustable links.

I saw these while just having a quick look around.

https://www.airtekk.com/product-p/bm-f85-co.htm

For all I know they are shi#. Or maybe they aren't ?

I also thought I saw Bilstein for a reasonable price but now can't find them at all for the F85.

So, does anyone have experience of lower price coilovers.....or does someone want to sell me their decent condition KW's for a good price ?

Thanks for looking.
      02-24-2024, 02:46 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

BC coilovers. look em up
      02-25-2024, 08:41 AM   #3
WZS_M
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM X5M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
BC coilovers. look em up
how do they compare to KW?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #4
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

You can get Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein B6’s. Should be about $1000 for the B6’s and $300 for the Eibach kit.

Won’t do the slammed look, but will lower slightly from stock and give good handling. Would also need adaptive suspension emulator to avoid dash light and such
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #5
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I have a couple of further questions.

Obviously from a budget perspective lowering springs would be the way to go, however, I have seen some others post that the handling is dogshit when using them. I also see others saying they have had no issues.

I have absolutely no interest in tracking the car.

So....

1) If I go with either the springs or the coilovers how does that affect the M mode button programming I have done for stiffer suspension ? Comfort/Sport etc.
Does the suspension just become one mode ?
I like the soft setting for everyday driving but also get confidence from the stiffest setting when...."driving spiritedly"

2) If I go with just the springs I will need the adjustable links for the rears to self level using the bags, correct ?

3) If I go with coilovers, do I need to do anything with the bags ?

4) I saw someone added BC coilovers. I watched a few you tubes last night and a couple of other brands were mentioned a few times. Tien and Fortune Auto.
Any thoughts on those ?

Like I said in the OP, I am a noob to coilovers so anything you can think of that will be of use to me, I would appreciate it. I am just looking to retain the handling, preferably in the stiffest mode if I can't have both the soft and the stiff, while lowering the overall ride height. Not to slam it but to significantly lower the tire gap without ripping the oil pan off. ;-)

Thanks !
      02-26-2024, 09:38 AM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
Thanks. I have a couple of further questions.

Obviously from a budget perspective lowering springs would be the way to go, however, I have seen some others post that the handling is dogshit when using them. I also see others saying they have had no issues.

I have absolutely no interest in tracking the car.

So....

1) If I go with either the springs or the coilovers how does that affect the M mode button programming I have done for stiffer suspension ? Comfort/Sport etc.
I like the soft setting for everyday driving but also get confidence from the stiffest setting when...."driving spiritedly"

2) If I go with just the springs I will need the adjustable links for the rears to self level using the bags, correct ?

4) I saw someone added BC coilovers. I watched a few you tubes last night and a couple of other brands were mentioned a few times. Tien and Fortune Auto.
Any thoughts on those ?

Like I said in the OP, I am a noob to coilovers so anything you can think of that will be of use to me, I would appreciate it. I am just looking to retain the handling, preferably in the stiffest mode if I can't have both the soft and the stiff, while lowering the overall ride height. Not to slam it but to significantly lower the tire gap without ripping the oil pan off. ;-)

Thanks !
1) springs will just replace your front springs. You will still benefit from comfort/sport mods and your stock shocks are controlling that. If you go with a coilover, you will have one mode (closer to sport) and you'll need to program out the EDC.

2) correct. if you go with springs, you will use lowering links to adjust the height of the rear bags. If you go with coilovers you will still use lowering links for the bags AND you will replace your stock rear shocks with the ones that come with the coilover kit.

3) as mentioned above, you rear bags stay and you lower them with lowering links... regardless if you are going coilovers or just springs.

4) I can't comments on those kits and I dont have experience with them. Also keep in mind that with any coilover kit, depending how low you go, you will likely need adjustable control arms to bring your alignment/geometry back into spec.

Tip: it is common to have the rear bags leak after installing any kind of lowering kit. The bags sit/settle on a different crease and many times a tiny air leak is revealed. Replacing the bags is an easy DIYer if you have tools and there are plenty of vids and threads on it.
      02-26-2024, 09:42 AM   #7
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Any thoughts on those ?

Thanks !
1. If you keep your adaptive shocks, or get replacement shocks that are adaptive, you’ll still have the settings but they may not be quite as “soft” as with the original shocks.

If you get replacement shocks that are not adaptive they will be in one fixed mode.

2. The springs should come with links for the rear

3. Depends on the kit…some retain rear airbags while some replace airbags with coil springs and an emulator so the car doesn’t freak out that it can’t change the rear ride height.

4. Have no experience with those brands. I know KW is good, Bilstein is good, Ohlins is phenomenal…but super expensive

There’s a dude in the classifieds who has a set of bc coilovers listed for $800
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:56 AM   #8
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post

3. Depends on the kit…some retain rear airbags while some replace airbags with coil springs and an emulator so the car doesn’t freak out that it can’t change the rear ride height.
I dont believe this is correct.
None of the coilover kits (and spring kits) replace the rear bags. They use lowering links. Kits like BC just say they won't fit a rear bag car due to this. You just end up not using the rear springs in the kit and acquiring your own lowering links. There are a few forum members on BC coilover, rear bags w/lowering links. Yes, you can replace the bags with springs, but it doesn't appear there's a good way to delete the code and bypass the lowering link module... which is why folks dont do this. There is no emulator for that.
      02-26-2024, 10:18 AM   #9
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I dont believe this is correct.
None of the coilover kits (and spring kits) replace the rear bags. They use lowering links. Kits like BC just say they won't fit a rear bag car due to this. You just end up not using the rear springs in the kit and acquiring your own lowering links. There are a few forum members on BC coilover, rear bags w/lowering links. Yes, you can replace the bags with springs, but it doesn't appear there's a good way to delete the code and bypass the lowering link module... which is why folks dont do this. There is no emulator for that.
If there’s no emulator perhaps it’s coded out using ISTA P or something…so far I’ve seen 2 F85’s with rear bags replaced by springs.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      02-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #10
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
If there’s no emulator perhaps it’s coded out using ISTA P or something…so far I’ve seen 2 F85’s with rear bags replaced by springs.
i'll have to read up more. From what i saw, no one has been able to code out the air bags.
      02-26-2024, 11:32 AM   #11
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe code out the error with Protool ? I will have to ask them if nobody in here knows.
      02-26-2024, 12:02 PM   #12
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1. If you keep your adaptive shocks, or get replacement shocks that are adaptive, you’ll still have the settings but they may not be quite as “soft” as with the original shocks.

If you get replacement shocks that are not adaptive they will be in one fixed mode.

2. The springs should come with links for the rear

4. Have no experience with those brands. I know KW is good, Bilstein is good, Ohlins is phenomenal…but super expensive

There’s a dude in the classifieds who has a set of bc coilovers listed for $800

Probably the dumbest question so far.....I have never been able to find the classifiieds section, all I see is something like this - no classifieds marked. None of the menus seem to take me there either. I'm not new to forums so this is a bit odd to me.
Attached Images

02-26-2024, 04:24 PM   #13
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i'll have to read up more. From what i saw, no one has been able to code out the air bags.
I dunno how they did it, as they weren’t my cars and unfortunately I didn’t ask them. I do know nothing was lit up on the dash. And I looked under the cars to confirm that they had adjustable spring perches with springs…I didn’t know at the time that F85 X5M automatically came with rear airbags. I just got into X5’s last spring when I bought mine.

I think I’ve seen on some coding post where ISTA P (or some BMW program) was used to “tell the car” or overwrite what options the computer thought the car had…maybe they did something like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:34 PM   #14
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Probably the dumbest question so far.....I have never been able to find the classifiieds section, all I see is something like this - no classifieds marked. None of the menus seem to take me there either. I'm not new to forums so this is a bit odd to me.
It should be in the section before you click on F85/86…like, as soon as you click on F15 Gen X5/X6 it should be one of the top options.
Appreciate 0