Hurricane3710
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Possible x5 purchase

Thinking of buying this bad boy right here
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

. Love the black on black look. What you guys think ? I love the modded x5 here as well. Should I look for 2018 x5m? It will run me Almost 20k more, from prices I’ve seen? Worth it ?
Here is 1 here
View post on imgur.com

I can’t afford any newer models. Especially x5m
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 12:40 PM   #2
Hurricane3710
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Any advice for a guy looking to jump into an x5 is welcomed..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

This doesn't look too bad for the price point, but the driver's seat has the typical driver's side left-side bottom cushion...and the front tires looks like you'll need to replace very soon.

I'd run through the i-drive menu under vehicle info, and check when the next expected oil change, front and rear brakes, and brake fluid flush.

If you are able, I'd also take a scanner and look at any codes that may pop up.

I'd use any, and all, issue you fine, to knock down the price, or have the Mitsubishi dealer replace/repair/fix on their dime.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

two totally different cars! determine the specs you want and go from there. you can't compare an x5 35i to an x5m.
      06-06-2023, 07:44 PM   #5
Trion_f85
Just me
Rep
Drives: BMW F85-X5M, F06-M650i

I moved from a F15 35i to F85 X5m. I wish i got the x5m in the first place. Completely worth it if you’re willing to go an extra mile in terms maintaining the x5m.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Let me first say that I've owned 2 BMW's in the past, a 3 and 5 series. But when, I first looked into buying an X5, the salesman at my local dealership talked me out of the X5M. He went on to say it can be expensive to maintain and it consumed a lot of fuel. So, I settled on the 35i, and when I finally went on my first road trip that included mountains, I found that 35i lacking in power to accelerate up those steep grades. Fast forward another year, I found myself very interested in buying an X5M. I looked around until I found the perfect one, with the right specs and traveled to NC to purchase it. And I never looked back, did the increase expense of maintenance or fuel bother me.........NO

I should have bought the X5M from the beginning. Never let someone talk you out of buying something, when your heart is telling you to do it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yuille36; 06-11-2023 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 02:43 AM   #7
X5M_RoOkIE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Get the x5m! You won't regret it! Whatever you choose the x5 is nice car to drive around in. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:15 AM   #8
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Aside from frequent stops for fuel…..quickly learn to stop at Costco (top tier gas) and dollar cost average gas prices
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

I have zero regrets about buying my X5M. But I also took time searching for one with lower miles (28,900 when i picked it up) and I was extremely particular about the options that I wanted (B&O, Executive, and carbon fiber interior, primarily). I also specifically purchased it from Carmax to get the extended service contract, which has already paid for itself in 7 months of ownership. Anything else that happens over the next 4 years is just more value I get out of the contract.

I love my F85, but I do not think I would purchase one without any sort of comprehensive service plan unless I had very deep pockets or a full fledged shop in my backyard with a lift.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 10:41 PM   #10
WZS_M
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM X5M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMorgan View Post
I have zero regrets about buying my X5M. But I also took time searching for one with lower miles (28,900 when i picked it up) and I was extremely particular about the options that I wanted (B&O, Executive, and carbon fiber interior, primarily). I also specifically purchased it from Carmax to get the extended service contract, which has already paid for itself in 7 months of ownership. Anything else that happens over the next 4 years is just more value I get out of the contract.

I love my F85, but I do not think I would purchase one without any sort of comprehensive service plan unless I had very deep pockets or a full fledged shop in my backyard with a lift.
What all went wrong in your first 7 months of ownership?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:22 AM   #11
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I can honestly say that during my 4 yr. ownership, the only thing I have addressed was leaking rear air bags, which I replaced.
Everything else has been general maintenance. And I'm very thankful for not having any other issues.
From my experience this is a pretty worry free vehicle.
Attached Images

07-28-2023, 11:49 AM   #12
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZS_M View Post
What all went wrong in your first 7 months of ownership?
A/C refrigerant leak, upper oil pan gasket, rear hatch pull down, driver's side window regulator and it's going back again today for a rear air bag failure.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 07:16 PM   #13
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

I'm 1.5 years into ownership and I don't regret a darn thing. It doesn't matter if I'm idling around or pushing the limits, the smile on my face is a constant.

I've wanted an X5 M since I finished school a decade ago. At the time I certainly couldn't pull it off. While I could afford a new one at this point, I would never spend $100k+ on a vehicle. I was patient in my search for a 2018 with 36k miles. It had 8 months left on it's 4 year/50k mile warranty which I used to address a handful of items to the tune of probably $3k otherwise out of pocket. I purchased an extended warranty through Allstate for $6k that will take me to 8 years/100k miles for everything except brakes and suspension.

I'm comfortable handling general maintenance and will reserve the warranty for any big items. I prefer others to not touch my vehicles anyway. Since I tend to keep my vehicles longer then most, I've purchase all my parts from FCP Euro to take advantage of their lifetime warranty, though, they recently changed from full refund to credit last year.

I've positioned myself for success by addressing all maintenance items I believe are appropriate at 50k miles: plugs, coils, filters, and every single fluid/oil. At the same time it was time for tires/brakes, front wheel bearings, and tie rods. I didn't scoff at any of that.

The F85/86 platform is magnificent. I'm constantly impressed by its engineering but question long term reliability. The non-interior plastics are terrible, especially those in the engine bay. Every time I do maintenance I find myself ordering some odd plastic clip because it broke and I'm the type of person that must fix such things.
Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      07-29-2023, 10:10 PM   #14
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroping View Post
I'm 1.5 years into ownership and I don't regret a darn thing. It doesn't matter if I'm idling around or pushing the limits, the smile on my face is a constant.

I've wanted an X5 M since I finished school a decade ago. At the time I certainly couldn't pull it off. While I could afford a new one at this point, I would never spend $100k+ on a vehicle. I was patient in my search for a 2018 with 36k miles. It had 8 months left on it's 4 year/50k mile warranty which I used to address a handful of items to the tune of probably $3k otherwise out of pocket. I purchased an extended warranty through Allstate for $6k that will take me to 8 years/100k miles for everything except brakes and suspension.

I'm comfortable handling general maintenance and will reserve the warranty for any big items. I prefer others to not touch my vehicles anyway. Since I tend to keep my vehicles longer then most, I've purchase all my parts from FCP Euro to take advantage of their lifetime warranty, though, they recently changed from full refund to credit last year.

I've positioned myself for success by addressing all maintenance items I believe are appropriate at 50k miles: plugs, coils, filters, and every single fluid/oil. At the same time it was time for tires/brakes, front wheel bearings, and tie rods. I didn't scoff at any of that.

The F85/86 platform is magnificent. I'm constantly impressed by its engineering but question long term reliability. The non-interior plastics are terrible, especially those in the engine bay. Every time I do maintenance I find myself ordering some odd plastic clip because it broke and I'm the type of person that must fix such things.
Smart move. That's what I did. However, that option would be viable for a DIYer type of person, otherwise ... As for the plastic parts, I hear you - it's typical. My beloved 1997 BMW 528 has the same issue. Trick - warm up the plastic just little bit (briefly with a heat gun on low heat mode) before working on it, especially in winter. You'll be pleasantly surprised how mailable it gets.

Last edited by musa; 07-29-2023 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 1