BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2023, 08:29 AM   #1
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Question Tire tips for F16 xDrive50i - not sure what to do

I just recently bought a 2017 X6 xDrive50i. It handles well and has relatively low road noise, but I was maybe expecting slightly better in both categories. I am in northern New York, so we do get some snow and ice throughout the winter. Current setup is:

Front - Nexen N5000 Platinum - 275/40ZR20 - year 2022 - 9/36th (1/4th) of an inch / ~6mm thread depth
Back - Continental DWS06 Plus - 315/35ZR20 - year 2021 - 6/36th (1/6th) of an inch / ~4mm thread depth

I checked the manual and these dimensions are the correct ones my car per BMWs recommendations and for these rims.

My question is, what would you do in my position? I do not know a lot about cars so I have a lot of questions, please bear with me.

How much better are high performance premium tires (for instance, DWS06 Plus) than cheaper tires (for instance, Nexen N5000 Platinum) in terms of safety, comfort, noise and handling?
How much better is it to have the same tire type and depth/wear on front and rear?
What are some of the absolute best all season tires I could get for the car (that come in my dimensions available)? I have seen DWS06 Plus being very popular, are there any other good ones that come in big sizes?

This leading up to the question of what to do, where I see at least three options:

1) Replace all the tires now for proper ones in order to get the same tires and wear on all wheels
2) Wait until autumn (before next winter season) then replace all tires for proper ones
3) Keep driving and replace tires as they wear out (what depth do you guys replace at if you are in a kinda-winter-ish area)?

First priority is that me and my family are safe and I do not mind spending a little extra for that. At the same time if there are no big benefits I might as well just wait, which is why I am checking in, don't really know how big the differences would be.

Thanks for all the good info on this forum!

Last edited by lauritzm; 03-10-2023 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:26 AM   #2
jbfrancis3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

My answers as follows:

Easy - if I were in your position I would replace all now. You're at the end of life. In the future, don't mix 'n match models and brands of tire front to back.

Premium tires are a lot better than cheaper tires. In fact, they can be good value when you weigh benefit vs cost.

Its impossible to end up with the same wear front vs. rear with identical tires all 4 corners, so you aren't doing anything wrong; that is the nature of all the factors added together: vehicle dynamics, driving, staggered setup (meaning different size front vs rear).

The best all seasons are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S [all season] 4's.

Choice #1 as previously suggested. You'll immediately notice better feel, less noise, more comfortable ride and most importantly, having proper tread depth to deal with rain which is something that people underestimate and critical given how wide these tires are.
Appreciate 3
shimmy232350.00
Edwardsc1251.00
      03-10-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
My answers as follows:

Easy - if I were in your position I would replace all now. You're at the end of life. In the future, don't mix 'n match models and brands of tire front to back.

Premium tires are a lot better than cheaper tires. In fact, they can be good value when you weigh benefit vs cost.

Its impossible to end up with the same wear front vs. rear with identical tires all 4 corners, so you aren't doing anything wrong; that is the nature of all the factors added together: vehicle dynamics, driving, staggered setup (meaning different size front vs rear).

The best all seasons are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S [all season] 4's.

Choice #1 as previously suggested. You'll immediately notice better feel, less noise, more comfortable ride and most importantly, having proper tread depth to deal with rain which is something that people underestimate and critical given how wide these tires are.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I have heard the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 mentioned as amazing tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

agree with the above posts. now or soon is a good time to replace all 4 tires. there are several good options in the oem 20" sizes but i would consider the michelin AS4 as the best. many folks run the Conti DWS tire as it's a bit more affordable with still great performance.
      03-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauritzm View Post

This leading up to the question of what to do, where I see at least three options:

1) Replace all the tires now for proper ones in order to get the same tires and wear on all wheels
2) Wait until autumn (before next winter season) then replace all tires for proper ones
3) Keep driving and replace tires as they wear out (what depth do you guys replace at if you are in a kinda-winter-ish area)?

First priority is that me and my family are safe and I do not mind spending a little extra for that. At the same time if there are no big benefits I might as well just wait, which is why I am checking in, don't really know how big the differences would be.

Thanks for all the good info on this forum!
If you really care about safety I would invest into dedicated set of winter tires, just get a set of 18 or 19 inch OEM wheels from marketplace here or craigslist and buy a set of winter threaded tires. For you existing tires since we are almost in the spring you can probably still get few months out of it but I would replace 4 all together. Brand and model of tires do matter and budget tires cost less for a reason. DWS06 are the most popular all-season choice here, but I would rather recommend Vredestein Quatrac Pro if you don't want to get the dedicated snow tires route. Quatracs are absolutely amazing in any weather conditions, dry, wet or snowy/icy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The best times to purchase new tires are spring and fall. If you watch the major tire chains like...you will start to see some nice sales come up soon near the end of March through April.

If you go to www.Tireack.com website...you can compare the really good tires recommended for your vehicle and wheel configuration (staggered). They do actual scientific testing on a track as well as subjective tire testing on local streets, too. You can let the site select tires for you based on some questions you asked...then compare the brands that they show to see what fits best for you.

You don't have to purchase the tires from them...but might as well use the info since it's free. Again, you can see the results from their tests in regard to wet/dry stopping distance and other specs.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
agree with the above posts. now or soon is a good time to replace all 4 tires. there are several good options in the oem 20" sizes but i would consider the michelin AS4 as the best. many folks run the Conti DWS tire as it's a bit more affordable with still great performance.
That makes sense. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
If you really care about safety I would invest into dedicated set of winter tires, just get a set of 18 or 19 inch OEM wheels from marketplace here or craigslist and buy a set of winter threaded tires. For you existing tires since we are almost in the spring you can probably still get few months out of it but I would replace 4 all together. Brand and model of tires do matter and budget tires cost less for a reason. DWS06 are the most popular all-season choice here, but I would rather recommend Vredestein Quatrac Pro if you don't want to get the dedicated snow tires route. Quatracs are absolutely amazing in any weather conditions, dry, wet or snowy/icy.
I had actually considered going that route. I am from Norway and I am used to separate winter and summer tires. I heard somebody call all-season tires "no-season tires", which I kind of agree with. I will look into some prices. I will also check out the Quatracs, I did see them on some tests! Thank you.

Edit: RED_Y_ if I were to go that route, what kind of dimensions would work for the F16 xDrive50i? Could I pick any of the recommended dimensions from the manual? 255/50R19 being the smallest one listed. Or could I have another setup without it adversely affecting the handling? I did find this site, seems interesting: https://www.originalwheels.com/bmw-w...x62017rims.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The best times to purchase new tires are spring and fall. If you watch the major tire chains like...you will start to see some nice sales come up soon near the end of March through April.

If you go to www.Tireack.com website...you can compare the really good tires recommended for your vehicle and wheel configuration (staggered). They do actual scientific testing on a track as well as subjective tire testing on local streets, too. You can let the site select tires for you based on some questions you asked...then compare the brands that they show to see what fits best for you.

You don't have to purchase the tires from them...but might as well use the info since it's free. Again, you can see the results from their tests in regard to wet/dry stopping distance and other specs.
Good tip, I actually saw both the DWS and the Pilot on the tire rack, but it seems there's even more info there too! Will look more into it, thank you.

Last edited by lauritzm; 03-10-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:00 PM   #8
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

I were to go the separate wheels for summer and winter route, what would be you guys' top recommendations for winter tires and summer tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:34 PM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

18 can also clear the calipers but you should probably use spacers, finding 19 inch set up should not be a problem though and price difference would be minimal.
See this thread for 18" fit
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1398235

For winter tires I would go with Blizzaks, they are on closeout sale right now here,and these are RFTs which I am not a fan of but for winter set its actually not bad so you don't have to put spare in the water/mud/snow:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Luxury%20Line
Also these are very decent:
Vredestein Wintrac Pro

Summer tires- I would go with Michelin AS3 or Conti DWS06, tested by many on this forum.

Last edited by RED_Y_; 03-10-2023 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 05:36 AM   #10
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
18 can also clear the calipers but you should probably use spacers, finding 19 inch set up should not be a problem though and price difference would be minimal.
See this thread for 18" fit
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1398235

For winter tires I would go with Blizzaks, they are on closeout sale right now here,and these are RFTs which I am not a fan of but for winter set its actually not bad so you don't have to put spare in the water/mud/snow:
Also these are very decent:
Vredestein Wintrac Pro

Summer tires- I would go with Michelin AS3 or Conti DWS06, tested by many on this forum.
Thank you again. Those Blizzaks look good. I also see that I can actually get the Nokian tires here (although they are probably not very widely used in the US and not featured on tire rack).

Any reason you mention the AS3 not the AS4? Also, what is your thinking behind still preferring all-season for summer and not a pure summer tire? Handles lower temps better? I do not have any experience with all-season tires from Norway, everybody runs "pure" summer and winter setups separately.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you again. Those Blizzaks look good. I also see that I can actually get the Nokian tires here (although they are probably not very widely used in the US and not featured on tire rack).

Any reason you mention the AS3 not the AS4? Also, what is your thinking behind still preferring all-season for summer and not a pure summer tire? Handles lower temps better? I do not have any experience with all-season tires from Norway, everybody runs "pure" summer and winter setups separately.
Nokian tires are great, but you are correct these are less common in USA. AS3 just being on the market for a while AS4 is newer model, and I am pretty sure its only got better. For the difference between pure summer or all season-this is more of a personal preference and climate/roads/driving style. All season just give you extra safety if you got caught in the bad weather but not with winter set on. I lived in the mountains for quite some time so for me having extra thread and all season tires when inch of snow hits the ground was beneficial. Every case is different though and for the city driving you can go with pure summer tires with no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:50 PM   #12
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nokian tires are great, but you are correct these are less common in USA. AS3 just being on the market for a while AS4 is newer model, and I am pretty sure its only got better. For the difference between pure summer or all season-this is more of a personal preference and climate/roads/driving style. All season just give you extra safety if you got caught in the bad weather but not with winter set on. I lived in the mountains for quite some time so for me having extra thread and all season tires when inch of snow hits the ground was beneficial. Every case is different though and for the city driving you can go with pure summer tires with no problems at all.
Thanks again, that makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 04:43 PM   #13
jbfrancis3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
That makes sense. Thank you!

I heard somebody call all-season tires "no-season tires", which I kind of agree with. I will look into some prices.
That used to be true but is no longer the case. The all seasons, especially a tire like the AS4's, have made huge strides in both directions: being more capable in warm months and being able to drive in snow. They won't measure up to a snow tire but the gap has closed considerably.

Combined with that, I think when you consider the weather patterns which can bring any type of weather over the winter months, there's less a case for needing and mounting snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 05:33 AM   #14
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
That used to be true but is no longer the case. The all seasons, especially a tire like the AS4's, have made huge strides in both directions: being more capable in warm months and being able to drive in snow. They won't measure up to a snow tire but the gap has closed considerably.

Combined with that, I think when you consider the weather patterns which can bring any type of weather over the winter months, there's less a case for needing and mounting snow tires.
Thank you! I am still mulling and looking at tires and rims, so all input is helpful.
Appreciate 0