BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-16-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Negative press for this generation of BMW

After falling in love with my F15 Ive seen some youtubers say to not own a used BMW as owners do not take care of them.

I love my lady in black and would do anything for her.

Take care of her and she will take care of me.

Is it really true that the main reason people say this is because people dont like to maintaince? That could be true on any vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50iXman View Post
After falling in love with my F15 Ive seen some youtubers say to not own a used BMW as owners do not take care of them.

Is it really true that the main reason people say this is because people dont like to maintaince? That could be true on any vehicle.

That’s why you have service records and carfax. Nothing stopping anyone from pre-coordinating with a mechanic to test drive it to their shop and have them inspect it. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Appreciate 1
50iXman34.00
      10-16-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:

Unfortunately. It's very true. First, and usually second, owners have a warranty. So they take excellent care of the vehicle. Third and beyond do not because you can not get out of a BMW dealership with a repair for less than $1000. Almost impossible.

Only way to own these long term is to have unlimited funds or know how to work on them yourself (some have good luck with 3rd party warranties but I never have). For example. 2 recent repairs on our 2015 35d were the EGR coolant changeover valve and the DEF transfer pump. BMW wanted $1400 and $2800 to do those repairs. I did them myself for ~$800. But I have diagnostic tools here on hand as well, which was an additional investment. I've also owned ~25 BMWs.
Appreciate 1
50iXman34.00
      10-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
That’s why you have service records and carfax. Nothing stopping anyone from pre-coordinating with a mechanic to test drive it to their shop and have them inspect it. 🤷🏽‍♂️
So much agree. Pre purchase inspection by a BMW dealer is required. Also, you have to be prepared to walk way.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Unfortunately. It's very true. First, and usually second, owners have a warranty. So they take excellent care of the vehicle. Third and beyond do not because you can not get out of a BMW dealership with a repair for less than $1000. Almost impossible.

Only way to own these long term is to have unlimited funds or know how to work on them yourself (some have good luck with 3rd party warranties but I never have). For example. 2 recent repairs on our 2015 35d were the EGR coolant changeover valve and the DEF transfer pump. BMW wanted $1400 and $2800 to do those repairs. I did them myself for ~$800. But I have diagnostic tools here on hand as well, which was an additional investment. I've also owned ~25 BMWs.
Yikes! My BMW dealer has pretty good prices and a $100 per hr labour rate (Canadian).

I also have a great import shop that specializes in BMWs and the have the same labor rate, but part prices are better.

Id rather have this kind of vehicle look after me and I her than some crap cookie cutter car.

If a repair gets too expensive, Ill just save for it and take other transportation.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:03 AM   #6
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So much agree. Pre purchase inspection by a BMW dealer is required. Also, you have to be prepared to walk way.
Well if you’re buying it from the dealership, you should only buy CPO. If you don’t, then you’re asking for trouble… 50/50! 🤡
Appreciate 1
50iXman34.00
      10-16-2023, 10:08 AM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I've owned several BMWs (m models) and non BMWs (GM, Audi, Jeep, VW). the BMWs i've owned have actually been more reliable than the other makers.

I think most people like to drive till something fails vs actively looking at wear and tear items and replacing them preventatively. They'd rather postpone these costs till they see a failure and hope that they can limp home safely. like all major assets, a smart and proactive asset management plan is key.
      10-16-2023, 10:11 AM   #8
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I've owned several BMWs (m models) and non BMWs (GM, Audi, Jeep, VW). the BMWs i've owned have actually been more reliable than the other makers.

I think most people like to drive till something fails vs actively looking at wear and tear items and replacing them preventatively. They'd rather postpone these costs till they see a failure and hope that they can limp home safely.
Great point!

I have been guilty in the past when Ive owned "regular cars" like a honda ridgeline or dodge journey, of driving them until they fail.

Since Im in love with the F15, I look for ways to ensure it doesnt fail.

Example:the dealer told me bushings were going in my tierods, but it was not going to fail right away. I made it a priority to save for this and did the repair before they failed.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      10-16-2023, 10:24 AM   #9
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Great point!

I have been guilty in the past when Ive owned "regular cars" like a honda ridgeline or dodge journey, of driving them until they fail.

Since Im in love with the F15, I look for ways to ensure it doesnt fail.

Example:the dealer told me bushings were going in my tierods, but it was not going to fail right away. I made it a priority to save for this and did the repair before they failed.
If that's the case... if yours is 80k miles or more (especially being in the GWN) replace your front driveshaft. It's ridiculously cheap and easy (DIY can be done for ~$225). But a failure will cost your tens of thousands potentially. The front U-joints tend to rust and then snap which causes the shaft to bounce around poking holes in everything around it... transmission, oil pan, etc.
Appreciate 1
50iXman34.00
      10-16-2023, 10:27 AM   #10
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If that's the case... if yours is 80k miles or more (especially being in the GWN) replace your front driveshaft. It's ridiculously cheap and easy (DIY can be done for ~$225). But a failure will cost your tens of thousands potentially. The front U-joints tend to rust and then snap which causes the shaft to bounce around poking holes in everything around it... transmission, oil pan, etc.
YUP - Im at 160K or 102526 miles.

I will have my shop check it out! thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 07:29 PM   #11
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

Luckily I have so far gotten everything taken care of by my extended warranty. I have about broken even and have a little more than 2 years (unlimited miles on mine). I had my rear hatch lock and also rear rear soft close be replaced, my ambient light and a couple of other things. Overall, I still love driving my F15, 50i. Will keep it until my 7 year extended warranty expires… here is a shot from the back today. LOL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #12
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

7yr extended warranty!! wowza!
      10-16-2023, 08:25 PM   #13
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Maintenance is not going to prevent common issues that occur with bmws.
You'll still get oil leaks, smoking valve stems, failed water pumps, etc, regardless of maintenance
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:09 AM   #14
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Maintenance is not going to prevent common issues that occur with bmws.
You'll still get oil leaks, smoking valve stems, failed water pumps, etc, regardless of maintenance

What you’re referíng to is normal tear and wear that can happen on ANY vehicle. The OP is talking more about buying a car that hasn’t been abused…

And when you do your maintenance you mitigate these things you’re referring to bud. If not, why change your oils and filters then 😐
Appreciate 1
50iXman34.00