10-29-2023, 02:16 PM   #1
Turtlekid95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
Paint Issues? Peeling Paint

Has anyone else expirienced anything like this? I’ve searched the forum but only found issues on plastic bumpers and spoilers. This is happening the whole way across the leading edge of the roof. I’ve been covering it with BMW touch up paint but it’s almost coming off faster then I can cover it. My X5 is a 2014 so WELL out of warranty so I have yet to contact the dealer about it. It’s garage kept but I do use automatic car washes. But this is the only issue spot I have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Most likely caused by automated car washes. We have similar on ours, though not nearly that bad. We do use automated washes pretty regularly as well. BMW used to use trim that covered the area above the windshield. Now they use a small trim that sits inside the channel on top of the windshield and leaves that area exposed. Poor decision on their part IMO. Doesn't really add much to the aesthetics of the car, and leaves the paint exposed to both rock chipping and of course automated wash brushes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:10 PM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Is the windshield gasket missing?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #4
DM_e92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

The other day while washing mine in the driveway, I noticed peeling paint on the shark fin antenna. Mines is a 2015 and I almost never take it to automatic car washes.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
Ljbuck7
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 x5 35d

I am having the same issue on my 2015 x5d.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:04 AM   #6
Turtlekid95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Is the windshield gasket missing?
It’s still there. But it’s completely under the glass. Nothing sticking up over the metal.

My indy recommended I take it back to BMW to see if they’ll fix it but I don’t expect them to do anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

yah unlikely that bmw will fix this given your car is a decade old. this is common to see in cars that regularly see auto car washes with minimal paint protections (sealant, ceramic, ppf).
      10-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #8
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlekid95 View Post
It’s still there. But it’s completely under the glass. Nothing sticking up over the metal.

My indy recommended I take it back to BMW to see if they’ll fix it but I don’t expect them to do anything at all.
Yeah, BMW made a mistake not having a full coverage gasket on the top of the windshield like on all their older vehicles. Not sure why they changed it... doesn't add anything to the aesthetic of the vehicle IMO.

You can see how ours looks below.

Name:  DSC_0084.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  564.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #9
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

It's a paint adhesion problem, not a car wash problem. Abrasion from car wash brushes would cause scratching, not flakes of paint missing. The reason you see it first above the windshield is because rock chips will help speedup the process. Basically once a rock chip opens the paint up it will start to flake up like you see in the pic. If you were to get a rock chip on top of your roof the same thing would happen eventually. paint adhesion issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:01 PM   #10
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

^ Nope. Checked my original purchase pictures when we bought the X5 before posting the above just to be sure. No damage up there at all until we bought our wash membership. Unless myself and the OP are the most unlucky PPL ever to have that many rocks hit that little exposed lip... It's the car washes.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:11 PM   #11
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
^ Nope. Checked my original purchase pictures when we bought the X5 before posting the above just to be sure. No damage up there at all until we bought our wash membership. Unless myself and the OP are the most unlucky PPL ever to have that many rocks hit that little exposed lip... It's the car washes.
car washes don't remove paint dude. It's not only rock chips, it's the smaller particles that sandblast a windshield over time, that's why the edges of doors get wore down as well as the top pinch weld above the glass. go to a body shop and ask them if its from a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

put some masking tape across the top where the paint is missing, pull the tape off. Did any paint stick to the tape? adhesion issue, not abrasion. ..been spraying cars for 25 years btw
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:10 PM   #13
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
put some masking tape across the top where the paint is missing, pull the tape off. Did any paint stick to the tape? adhesion issue, not abrasion. ..been spraying cars for 25 years btw
i don't think folks are saying the car wash is the actual cause vs a catalyst to the poor paint adhesion. at least that's where my thought was. the high pressure and harsh chemicals from a car wash will certainly speed up the paint flaking off here... especially if a rock chip has already created a weak spot and paint adhesion was poor. good paint adhesion would not have flaking.
      10-30-2023, 10:24 PM   #14
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
i don't think folks are saying the car wash is the actual cause vs a catalyst to the poor paint adhesion. at least that's where my thought was. the high pressure and harsh chemicals from a car will certainly speed up the paint flaking off here... especially if a rock chip has already created a weak spot and paint adhesion was poor. good paint adhesion would not have flaking.
That's true and sort of the point I was trying to make. You get an initial break in the paint and it starts to lift from poor adhesion, and sure high pressure is going to help lift it real quick..
Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      10-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #15
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
car washes don't remove paint dude. It's not only rock chips, it's the smaller particles that sandblast a windshield over time, that's why the edges of doors get wore down as well as the top pinch weld above the glass. go to a body shop and ask them if its from a car wash.
In the case of the F15... the car washes cause the paint to come off. You can speculate whether there was some small original paint chip or whatever there before hand if you like. Ultimately, the car wash is what makes it look like what the OP pictured.

I am only going off the photo evidence I have, and experience working the auto industry. For ~85000 miles the paint up there looked fine. And <30000 miles later it looks as pictured after having used automated car washes pretty regularly.

Knowing what I know now, I would never have use an auto car wash on any vehicle that does not have a complete coverage windshield trim/gasket above the windshield. BMW made a stupid decision to change to this design.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:51 AM   #16
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In the case of the F15... the car washes cause the paint to come off. You can speculate whether there was some small original paint chip or whatever there before hand if you like. Ultimately, the car wash is what makes it look like what the OP pictured.

I am only going off the photo evidence I have, and experience working the auto industry. For ~85000 miles the paint up there looked fine. And <30000 miles later it looks as pictured after having used automated car washes pretty regularly.

Knowing what I know now, I would never have use an auto car wash on any vehicle that does not have a complete coverage windshield trim/gasket above the windshield. BMW made a stupid decision to change to this design.
Your the one speculating that the carwashes somehow compromise the chemical adhesion of BMW's paint system.. And your best reason is because it wasn't like that before and now it is. And because of BMW's design with the exposed edge of the roof that isnt covered with a roof molding. Nearly every late model car has exposed roof edges now, they don't use moldings that cap over the roof edge. How is there still paint on the front of your bumper being exposed?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 12:07 PM   #17
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your the one speculating that the carwashes somehow compromise the chemical adhesion of BMW's paint system.. And your best reason is because it wasn't like that before and now it is. And because of BMW's design with the exposed edge of the roof that isnt covered with a roof molding. Nearly every late model car has exposed roof edges now, they don't use moldings that cap over the roof edge. How is there still paint on the front of your bumper being exposed?
The car wash does not compromise the chemical adhesion, nor did I say it did. That was your sticking point. I said the paint is removed. It abrades the paint right off. Like sand paper. The overhead brush drums might be running faster or impact the leading edge harder than other areas of the car (your bumper example). No clue as I don't run car washes. It could be an issue with a particular type of car wash.

And you're right, many modern vehicles have an exposed front lip above the windshield. But I'm not sure they are angled as abruptly or have quite as much exposed. There is enough exposed edge on the X5 that many people, including myself, thought there was a gasket missing. I ordered one before realizing it was there but was very small and not designed to cover that edge.

There could be a few factors contributing to the effect, but the issue remains, car washes cause the paint to be removed. The issue of the exposed edge is there all the time obviously, but without the car washes... no damage, or additional damage in the case of a rock chip, would be incurred.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 03:11 PM   #18
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car wash does not compromise the chemical adhesion, nor did I say it did. That was your sticking point. I said the paint is removed. It abrades the paint right off. Like sand paper. The overhead brush drums might be running faster or impact the leading edge harder than other areas of the car (your bumper example). No clue as I don't run car washes. It could be an issue with a particular type of car wash.

And you're right, many modern vehicles have an exposed front lip above the windshield. But I'm not sure they are angled as abruptly or have quite as much exposed. There is enough exposed edge on the X5 that many people, including myself, thought there was a gasket missing. I ordered one before realizing it was there but was very small and not designed to cover that edge.

There could be a few factors contributing to the effect, but the issue remains, car washes cause the paint to be removed. The issue of the exposed edge is there all the time obviously, but without the car washes... no damage, or additional damage in the case of a rock chip, would be incurred.
lol so the car was abrades the paint off in a fashion that makes it appear to be chipped/peeling? man that's some crazy car wash right there, and only on that part of the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 04:17 PM   #19
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
lol so the car was abrades the paint off in a fashion that makes it appear to be chipped/peeling? man that's some crazy car wash right there, and only on that part of the car?
Mature comment.

It may appear to be chipped/peeling to you. It appears abraded to me, especially in between the areas of the chips. And one last time... whether chipped or abraded, it doesn't matter. The car wash causes the paint to be removed. I'm not going back and forth any more as your replies devolve each time. OP was asking a question. I answered, with experience involving the exact problem he was asking.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:06 PM   #20
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mature comment.

It may appear to be chipped/peeling to you. It appears abraded to me, especially in between the areas of the chips. And one last time... whether chipped or abraded, it doesn't matter. The car wash causes the paint to be removed. I'm not going back and forth any more as your replies devolve each time. OP was asking a question. I answered, with experience involving the exact problem he was asking.
It's chipped. When paint is abraded past each layer it will "feather" into the next layer. Again.., I've been spraying cars for 25 years, did a frame off restoration earlier this year, in the middle of doing a full dip on my own f15 right now.. I know a thing or two about paint, and I am telling you with 100% certainty that the car wash did not wear or abrade your paint off.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 08:19 PM   #21
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
They most certainly can. It’s happened to me on my old Mazda. Happened to me on the leading edge of the bumper. It was a real bumper bummer.

All that sand and debris in a hyper speed wipe? It’s a ticking time bomb.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #22
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
It's chipped. When paint is abraded past each layer it will "feather" into the next layer. Again.., I've been spraying cars for 25 years, did a frame off restoration earlier this year, in the middle of doing a full dip on my own f15 right now.. I know a thing or two about paint, and I am telling you with 100% certainty that the car wash did not wear or abrade your paint off.
Well don’t just listen to us. A simple google search will give you hundreds of results.

Wrong place, wrong time, with the right car and it happens. Pissed me right the F off. Of course I had no way to prove it bc who takes pictures immediately before and after? No one…

Only thing I could rationalize is that stone chip allowed the high pressure water to get in there and it released from underneath in a big chunk.
Appreciate 0