BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
vladddy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Steering Issue

Hello all. I'm experiencing an issue with my 2011 e92 M3 Comp package, hopefully some of you can help.

During right turns, while accelerating, the vehicle and steering wheel begin to shake hard. It literally feels like my wheel is going to fly off. After diagnosis at a local German auto shop, they were unable to identify the cause. Recently performed alignment, which eliminated some of the shake; however, it is still there. After reading about related issues elsewhere, people have indicated that the issue may be related to CV Axle being bent, Control arm being bent, or worn bearing. I've also learned that EDC may potentially be causing the issue considering my vehicle is currently lowered on KW's.

Side note: warranty is no longer active.

Any insight is would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Your control arm bushings are probably worn/wearing out.
I had the same problem when i had a Lexus. They were all cracked up and needed to be replaced.
You can also re-grease them if your on a budget. But it won't last too long
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Probably as indicated by above member...what is current mileage on the car? 2011 doesn't seem to have alot of mileage to get bearings worn out
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
vladddy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
Probably as indicated by above member...what is current mileage on the car? 2011 doesn't seem to have alot of mileage to get bearings worn out

Only 22k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
vladddy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
Your control arm bushings are probably worn/wearing out.
I had the same problem when i had a Lexus. They were all cracked up and needed to be replaced.
You can also re-grease them if your on a budget. But it won't last too long
Thank you for the info. Would this mean the bushings on right side control arm considering shake only occurs during right turns?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
vladddy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Jack up front end. Check wheel bolts are secure. Grab tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and lightly tug on top and bottom of tire to check for wheel bearing play (I doubt it's a bearing or it would be making a noise) but check anyway. Take off left front wheel. Now check to see coil overs are secure at strut top and bottom mounting points by grabbing shock body and tugging on it. If coil overs are secure then next check inner sidewalls of tires for any bulges or bubbles. It's possible that tire's inner sidewall bead might be the shake culprit. Hope this helps.
I plan on checking bearings today.

I removed left front wheel recently and noticed that the coilover has a little bit of tire residue on it - possibly the tire is rubbing the coil during right turns causing it to shake. Your thoughts?

One thing I noticed is that the moment I remove my foot from the accelerator the shake stops.

Do you think a bulge or bubble can cause such a drastic shake?
Appreciate 0