BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Old DME software and DSC malfunction error???

Hi all,

My car recently threw the notorious DSC malfunction error (along with limited engine power output), which is typically an indication of a faulty throttle valve actuator. Upon diagnosis, this was the conclusion, and the faulty tva was replaced at the dealer under CPO. 70 miles later, the error came back, and therefore I dropped off the car at the dealer again. They informed me that the code was indicating that the same part was the problem, but that the field instructions indicated for them to perform a manual test which invalidated the code - in other words, the tva was not the problem the second time around.

They then proceeded to tell me that the next step in the instructions was to program the DME, because my car still had the original 2011 software since new, and that updating the software was most likely going to fix the problem. What is unfortunate about this is that according to BMW, software programming is not covered under CPO, so I'm having to eat it. They mentioned that if reprogramming doesn't do it, then the next step is a DME replacement which is covered by CPO, and I'd get a refund for the paid programming. Has anyone had this issue before? I have the feeling that the error may come back and that it's just a matter of time.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
doesn't seem correct but my SA did a software update for free. I would think at worst it would be one hour of labor.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
I may be clueless but WTH does Dynamic Stability Control have to do with the Throttle Actuators failing?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog
I may be clueless but WTH does Dynamic Stability Control have to do with the Throttle Actuators failing?
Beemdog, it's a well documented problem. I thought the same thing, but it is the way the error manifests itself on the dash. When they pull the codes, they actually confirm that it is indeed the tva.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
briggs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 ZCP MW 08' Smart

This happened on my M6 and it throws dsc failure, increased emissions, and limited rev (limp mode). This typically happened when i filled up with gas. I needed to replaced both throttle body actuators along with the supporting sensors. It was about 5k worth of work. I seriously doubt a software update will do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs
This happened on my M6 and it throws dsc failure, increased emissions, and limited rev (limp mode). This typically happened when i filled up with gas. I needed to replaced both throttle body actuators along with the supporting sensors. It was about 5k worth of work. I seriously doubt a software update will do the trick.
Mine was unrelated to filling up with gas...only happened at random when starting up the car.

I agreed to pay and they reprogrammed the car - threw the codes again. Next step is a refund of my money and a DME replacement which is covered under CPO. Let's see if that does it; it's what BMW is telling them to do. Very interesting to say the least, as I knew that software had nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0