BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #1
jhbuchanan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 4Runner

BMW Noob with MANY ( F15 X5) questions

Ok so I am in the market for a used X5, F15 2014 or 2015. I have a few questions as I am searching for my car.

1. Options. This can be dizzying. I have found the "perfect" car too many times to only find out it is missing something as basic as keyless entry or a backup camera. Now that my rant is over here is what I am thinking. xLine is a no brainer for me. I know I want premium package as well as a rear view camera. The camera can come with the "Drivers assistance package" or a single option. Is the package worth it? I think if you get that package you also get an extended information display under the tachometer? Is that right? As well as a head-up-display (oooo fancy) but is it worth it? The drivers assistance package plus looks like it should be standard. I get jealous getting in my mom's lexus... literally those things come loaded every time. Besides the point, I'm a getting a BMW. Other than that are there really any must have options? ACC is nice but a needle in a haystack to find. Same with Harmon Kardon... I'm a music person but dang very hard to find. I wish I could get cooled seats over heated ones, but this is a German car. Darn.

2. Warranties/reliability. Would getting the 2015 be a better option rather than the '14? I have heard that the second year after a model change is best to work out the kinks, is this true? BMW service prices makes me want to jump off a cliff. I'm thinking getting CPO is a no brainer, or I could get used and buy an extended warranty. Any suggestions? Are there any problems you have commonly had that I need to make sure is included in my warranty?

3. Interior. Ok so I am set on black exterior. I'm a guy and want that to be obvious in my car. White is a no go for this SUV. One problem: down south the black loves to soak up those sun rays. Black cars get HOT. Would getting white/tan interior help at all? Or is this a lost cause?

Right now I am between a private seller with 33k miles around $38k. Prem pkg driver asst pkg xline. I am also looking at a certified. It is $6k more but assurance that it has been checked out as well as warranty included. Problem is I have to ship the certified one. Not a biggie.

I am totally a noob!! Would love any tips or suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I looked for months before I got my 15 X5 a couple weeks ago.

1) This is all you and your preferences.
2) IMO the CPO is worth $1500ish - with under 40,000 I don't think it's necessary. Many have stated you don't need CPO for the 35i but it's recommended for the 50 or 35D.
3) You know black is hotter - up to you if you care. It's not like a white on tan auto feels cool when parked in the sun on a 90 degree day - IMO get the color you want.

I was not looking for anything close to fully loaded. For what I wanted to spend and being my first time getting in to a BMW I wanted a 35i, nothing in the first 6 months of production (late 2013), cold weather package, dakota leather, upgraded rims, saphire black. My goal was a price point of $37K or close to it and I accomplished that (not CPO).

My first 1,000 mile impression: F-YEA this is a sweet ride. I thought I had researched the crap out of the X5 but there are a lot of little extra things I didn't know about that I like.

Besides the entry X5 not having real leather the vehicle comes with a lot of great features. Take your time and just be comfortable when you pull the trigger. Contrary to any sales persons' mindset - even used cars are commodities.... wait wait wait until you find exactly what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

bruh, congrats on the pick up, but calm down, breath....and type grammatically correct sentences.
      07-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
JCW78
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

I just bought my X5 after months and months of searching. I wanted a specific set of options and under a certain mileage. I went after M Pkg, Prem, CWP, and HK and under 30K mileage.

I found a BMW VIN decoder to be very helpful in identifying what options the car has. Check out bimmer.work if you haven't done so already.

The driver's assistance stuff is neat, but not a must have for me. I was not a fan of HUD, and when I test drove a car with it, I turned it off.

White interiors are just tough to keep clean. Had tan interior in previous car, and sides turned blue from jeans

Best of luck in your search
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I recently purchased a 2014 about 4 months ago and here is my experience.

1. Have you used this tool: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=866470 along with http://bimmer.work. Its great for finding exactly what options the car has...I found sometimes the dealers list missed things or added things the car didnt have. Options I couldn't do without: Ventilated Seats, top view camera, Heads up display, Dynamic Handling & ACC. Dynamic Handling is really hard to find.

2. Definitely go CPO or 3rd party warranty. I know on the 50i the transmission changed between 2014 and 2015, but not sure about much else. Not sure on the 35i since I focused my research on the 50i. If you can afford it I would get a newer one since the factory warranty will last you longer.

3. Cant help on this one. I live in the northwest and I have a Black/Mocha car. I would say tinting the windows would help either way. I would get what color combo you want and just deal with it.

I shipped my car from Texas to Seattle. It cost a bit more but I would go with an enclosed carrier.

Good Luck!
      07-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

I just bought a used 2017. M package is a must have plus a 100k mile warranty. I strongly suggest the warranty. I used to have all the other stuff on my 2012 5.0 but I don't miss it. On the warranty side for example one turbo goes and you're talking $3500 repair, if both go forget about it.
Appreciate 0