BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Front end clunks over bumps at low speed - Loose strut bolt?

Noticed this clunking a while ago, can feel it through the steering wheel very distinctly and only really at low speeds. Feels like something is kinda disconnected - replaced the sway bar links thinking it might be that, they were pretty worn anyway. Turned out it wasn't that and found this thread (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748179) where someone mentioned it might be a loose strut bolt.

Disconnected the EDC wiring for the front shocks and loosened the driver's side top nut about a quarter turn to see where it was at. Tried to torque it to 47 lb but it just keeps spinning and doesn't look like it's going anywhere. I checked passenger side and it's torqued properly. I'm guessing if there's an issue with the driver's side shock, that's why the clunking is so apparent through the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to keep tightening and mess something up.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

So I'm an idiot and I didn't lock the strut shaft while I was tightening the nut. The nut was loose, solved the problem. Just wanted to keep this here in case anyone has the same issue.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11590.50