BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
Ncorso
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 3.5 M Sport

Guys please help I'm having a hard time understanding the tracking of my X6M I thought my car needed an alignment because when the steering wheel was in the center position the The paddles don't look symmetrical on the dashboard...when I realize that the left and right control arms are at different heights...

When the left control arm is in the third position...the paddles are symmetrical..

Now 21" wheels and crown on the roads with the Michelin PSS...feels like I'm fighting to stay straight with a constant turn to the right to stay straight l...

What is going on...straight roads track straight sometimes and may get confused with the asymmetrical controls...

Alignment spot on...
OMG is it me or the tires or the steering...

Seems like 80% of the roads on SJ don't like performance tires...

1st pick is in the lowest setting position 2..??
2nd pick is normal
3 rd pick is left turn signal position 2

Thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Oh it's not you. Even my 50i tracks like a PITA. Constantly having to adjust the wheel to stay in the lane and it's never straight I feel like when I actually get it going straight. I think it's just the electric steering as I have the adaptive steering on top of my DHP.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
enzom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M/20 720S/20 992 C4S

Noticed on Saturday that I was continuously making corrections to the steering wheel on a straight highway road. Don’t know if it was windy or the car needs an alignment. Will have the dealer check at the first service.

My 14 Range Rover Sport supercharged had the same behavior. Even after an alignment, every curve in the highway required constant corrections, as if the truck was responding to steering inputs with a one second delay. Had to get out of it because it was too frustrating. Didn’t know if it was the steering or the tires.
20 992 C4S
15 458 Speciale
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom View Post
Noticed on Saturday that I was continuously making corrections to the steering wheel on a straight highway road. Don't know if it was windy or the car needs an alignment. Will have the dealer check at the first service.

My 14 Range Rover Sport supercharged had the same behavior. Even after an alignment, every curve in the highway required constant corrections, as if the truck was responding to steering inputs with a one second delay. Had to get out of it because it was too frustrating. Didn't know if it was the steering or the tires.
It's completely normal behavior. I had to get used to it too. I also went and had an alignment done early on.
Appreciate 1
Ncorso65.00
      09-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Ncorso
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 3.5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom View Post
Noticed on Saturday that I was continuously making corrections to the steering wheel on a straight highway road. Don't know if it was windy or the car needs an alignment. Will have the dealer check at the first service.

My 14 Range Rover Sport supercharged had the same behavior. Even after an alignment, every curve in the highway required constant corrections, as if the truck was responding to steering inputs with a one second delay. Had to get out of it because it was too frustrating. Didn't know if it was the steering or the tires.
It's completely normal behavior. I had to get used to it too. I also went and had an alignment done early on.
Spot on...
That's what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
RM666
Rep
Drives: M6

I also have this issue with mine.
I'm always making corrections either in a straight line or in a curve.

Feels awkward, it's not predictable.
It's the worst car in terms of steering feel that I drive.
Even a 520D without sport suspension is more predictable in steering and have to do way less corrections than on the X6M.

The E70 X5 that I replaced with this X6M had way better steering.

I have springs and spacers on my X6M, as I do on my M6.
My M6 steers like a Kart and I have to do almost zero corrections, while on the X6M I'm always fighting against it to steer like I want.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

^^ You should try driving some other BMW products with electric assist, LOL. The steering on my wife's m240xi is truly awful.

Can't understand why manufacturers seem unable/unwilling to calibrate these systems to give better feel and off centre feedback.

The symptoms you describe really do make these cars difficult to drive, and certainly make a drive on the highway much less relaxing than it should be. I'm used to hydraulic racks that give that little bit of feedback/resistance as soon as the wheel is slightly off centre, enabling me to keep the car tracking straight or around a curve, in its lane, with a minimum of effort/thought. These electric systems provide no such feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
IanW555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G81 M3T / X5 F15 30d

Garage List
How's this for weird. . . . .

My X5 F15 30d has been as sure-footed as a mountain goat, happy to push on at high speed on uneven country roads with full confidence. But recently it has been wearing the outside of the front n/s tyre. So took it in for laser 4 wheel alignment today, which unsurprisingly showed lots of alignment needed. However, now it is scatty as a banshee on country roads, feels VERY unpredictable and inspires zero confidence?!

Help? Oh and just to make it worse they cannot seem to get the steering wheel straight again.

Ian.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 02:05 AM   #9
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 View Post
How's this for weird. . . . .

My X5 F15 30d has been as sure-footed as a mountain goat, happy to push on at high speed on uneven country roads with full confidence. But recently it has been wearing the outside of the front n/s tyre. So took it in for laser 4 wheel alignment today, which unsurprisingly showed lots of alignment needed. However, now it is scatty as a banshee on country roads, feels VERY unpredictable and inspires zero confidence?!

Help? Oh and just to make it worse they cannot seem to get the steering wheel straight again.

Ian.
Have you checked tire pressure is even across tires? Have you checked tread measurements on inside and outside of tires are similar? If the tires have uneven wear and minimal tread left you’re best replacing them and then doing the realignment (if required) later if the problem persists.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
IanW555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgraham View Post
Have you checked tire pressure is even across tires? Have you checked tread measurements on inside and outside of tires are similar? If the tires have uneven wear and minimal tread left you’re best replacing them and then doing the realignment (if required) later if the problem persists.
Yes, that is what I am now thinking. Have spent a fortune on tyres recently!

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #11
IanW555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgraham View Post
Yes, that is what I am now thinking. Have spent a fortune on tyres recently!
So fixed the handling issue, they had done the alignment as an X5M, due to the M Sport badges. I stood next to the guy whilst he entered all the config into the alignment machine - and bingo back to her old surefooted self!!

Appreciate 1