BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
ajboom
Australia
Rep
Drives: x5 30d f15

X5 f15 Body Brake rotor rusting

Hi.
I got x5 30d f15 body 2017. Keep it underground parking and just wash normal base. All four brake rotors covered rust looks really annoying. I read this forum and serched info. This happened normal doesn't really effect brake performance. But looks quite bed anyway
I planning to request service dealer. Anyone serviced same problems and serviced from dealer under manufacturer warranty??
My location syd.
Thanks
Attached Images

06-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

This is something that plague ALL models of BMW and most cars and trucks. It's because they are made from iron. And moisture and iron do not mix. I can't understand why manufacturers won't powder coat them....

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 06-06-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajboom View Post
Hi.
I got x5 30d f15 body 2017. Keep it underground parking and just wash normal base. All four brake rotors covered rust looks really annoying. I read this forum and serched info. This happened normal doesn't really effect brake performance. But looks quite bed anyway
I planning to request service dealer. Anyone serviced same problems and serviced from dealer under manufacturer warranty??
My location syd.
Thanks
There's nothing to service man. It's just surface rust. All rotors, carbon ceramic excluded, rust. Pop off the rims, get a grinder attachment for your drill or sander and grind it off. Then coat in some grease.

They won't powder coat or paint because you're not supposed to put a layer of material between the rotor and wheel when they contact. If the powder/paint wears down it will create a gap and could cause your wheel to come loose. I grinder mine and then greased and haven't had rust in 6 months.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
ajboom
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajboom View Post
Hi.
My location syd.
Thanks
There's nothing to service man. It's just surface rust. All rotors, carbon ceramic excluded, rust. Pop off the rims, get a grinder attachment for your drill or sander and grind it off. Then coat in some grease.

They won't powder coat or paint because you're not supposed to put a layer of material between the rotor and wheel when they contact. If the powder/paint wears down it will create a gap and could cause your wheel to come loose. I grinder mine and then greased and haven't had rust in 6 months.
Thanks for the advice.
      06-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

My rotors have the same rust on them. If they weren't almost due to be replaced, I would coat them. (#%^ maintenance plan won't allow replacement until sensor set off)
I recently used a rust "converter" spray on parts of my trailer. Bought it at the autoparts store.
The spray binds with the rust, wire brush first, creates a black layer that is supposedly rust resistant?
I wonder if that would work well for the rotors?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
ajboom
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
My rotors have the same rust on them. If they weren't almost due to be replaced, I would coat them. (#%^ maintenance plan won't allow replacement until sensor set off)
I recently used a rust "converter" spray on parts of my trailer. Bought it at the autoparts store.
The spray binds with the rust, wire brush first, creates a black layer that is supposedly rust resistant?
I wonder if that would work well for the rotors?
Hi.
I tried rust remover once I sprayed rust gone off. But rusting again. I think rust converter will change to dark colour. My opinion if I clean them and high temperature spray apply will looking better.
I thinks dealership will do that this bloody job.
      06-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

I haven't experienced this yet with my F85 rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Mine is not as bad but rear rotors are quite rusty, replacing them today with ECS Drilled/Slotted coated rotors and Akebono Euro pads, original brakes are pretty bad for the price not coming back to OEM BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
ride2little
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 sDrive35i

Most stock rotor ""hats" are painted/coated. Lots of the replacement rotors are not, so after a few months, they will rust like this. It's only and eyesore, not anything to worry about. Yes, you can remove the wheel and treat, scrape, clean, treat and paint or rust-proof. Just be sure not to treat the rotor itself. Wen I purchase new rotors, I make sure to get the zinc-plated ones. They will never rust. One time I purchases a set of rotors then took them to a local plating shop and had it done. Open wheels = tide rotors. A must .
      06-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

High temp brake paint. Remove wheel, wire brush surface rust and spray everything. Rotor, calipers, etc. I use "cast coat iron" color from duplicolor. Lasts a year or two. Spray paint will not hurt you pads or rotors. Been painting my rotors and calipers for 30 years.

And I don't know about the comment of paint between rotor and wheel and lug nuts coming loose. Lol. Good theory, but not reality.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13848.00
      06-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
High temp brake paint. Remove wheel, wire brush surface rust and spray everything. Rotor, calipers, etc. I use "cast coat iron" color from duplicolor. Lasts a year or two. Spray paint will not hurt you pads or rotors. Been painting my rotors and calipers for 30 years.

And I don't know about the comment of paint between rotor and wheel and lug nuts coming loose. Lol. Good theory, but not reality.
Paint have a different density/hardness than steel, and depending on thickness of the paint, and heat generated from braking, the paint might soften up and compress. So there is a risk if mounting surface is painted, thus the very real reason to to not paint that part.
Is it a big risk, maybe not, but there is a risk, so why take it?

I would just tape/mask the mounting surface and the actual disc surface, before painting the area prone to rusting..
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      06-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post

Actually very much a potential reality. Didn't say it was a guarantee But thanks.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0