BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > Owners Classifieds (non-commercial)

03-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 and X5 E53

Garage List
Smile OEM 2016 BMW X5 F15 Rear Tail Light Set US Specs - Shipment included in price

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 799.00

Or Best Offer
Shipping Costs Included

Item Interest
Rear Tail Light set off a 2016 BMW X5 40e US Spec - LOOKS BRAND NEW

I imported my car from Canada, but due to the laws in Greenland, I had to convert the tail lights to EU spec (amber turn signal). The car had 26K KM when the lights were replaced with EU lights.

I will ship the lights with Track and trace and shipping is included in the price.

Attached Images

Last edited by Taatsi; 03-05-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

What did you have to do to convert to amber?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
I ordered European rear taillights from Schmiedmann. I installed the lights and got amber turn signals without coding but amber lights also worked as brake lights. I got no error. I had no red brakelights at all.
With bimmercode i code PDC MAPPING_BREMSL_1_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_1_R_OUTPUT to 00. This will disable yellow light as brakelights.
Then code
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT to nsl_l
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_R_OUTPUT to nsl_r. This enables fog lights as brakelights.
Now rear turn signals are amber and brakelights red using fog lights. With my brothers help we looked at the wiring for taillights.
The inner lights in the US car has 5 wires but the EU lights has 6. One of two red wiring on the lights was not connected at all. That is for the brake lights.
So we connected this red wire to the green wire on the lights which is connected to fog lights. No error and now the inner brake lights work. For the outer taillights we had to push the harness a bit down and up to access the wiring and connected the same green wire from inner lights to the red wire on outer lights to make the outer brake lights to work.
The wiring from inner to outer lights is along the tailgate. Now everything works but where the fog light also is brakelight. But that is okay.

Last edited by Taatsi; 03-03-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
menelaos1226.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there needs to be an additional wire run from the light control module to the lights to do a factory style conversion? Seems like it would be a lot of work. But looks like you found a solution that works.
By the way, are there many bmws in greenland? Is there even a dealer there?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
I tryed to look on forums on how the conversion could be done easily, but yes you´re right, the wiring from control module to the lights were missing so there was not a easy way round. In addition to use the rear fog light as brake light don´t look weird. There are few BMW´s here in Greenland. There is no dealer here, which is a shame, because the car, expecially X5 looks to be in their right conditions here in the cold arctic. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taatsi View Post
I ordered European rear taillights from Schmiedmann. I installed the lights and got amber turn signals without coding but amber lights also worked as brake lights. I got no error. I had no red brakelights at all.
With bimmercode i code PDC MAPPING_BREMSL_1_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_1_R_OUTPUT to 00. This will disable yellow light as brakelights.
Then code
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT to nsl_l
MAPPING_BREMSL_2_R_OUTPUT to nsl_r. This enables fog lights as brakelights.
Now rear turn signals are amber and brakelights red using fog lights. With my brothers help we looked at the wiring for taillights.
The inner lights in the US car has 4 wires but the EU lights has 5. One of two red wiring on the lights was not connected at all. That is for the brake lights.
So we connected this red wire to the green wire on the lights which is connected to fog lights. No error and now the inner brake lights work. For the outer taillights we had to push the harness a bit down and up to access the wiring and connected the same green wire from inner lights to the green wire on outer lights to make the outer brake lights to work.
The wiring from inner to outer lights is along the tailgate. Now everything works but where the fog light also is brakelight. But that is okay.
@Taatsi, where exactly is this 'red' wire you speak of? I've posted pics of the inner (blue) and outer (black) harness plugs of the US tails.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
The two red wires were on the EU spec inner lights. I connected both red wires on the green/red wire on the blue harness. This is fog light. Then connected a long wire from this green/red through tailgate directly to red wire on the outer lights. Nothing is connected to the black harness. Hope that makes sense. On both harness you showed is the missing wire the one for brake lights which for EU spec lights are wired alone.

Last edited by Taatsi; 03-02-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The two red wires were on the EU spec inner lights. I connected both red wires on the green/red wire on the blue harness. This is fog light. Then connected a long wire from this green/red through tailgate to grey/yellow on the outer black harness. Hope that makes sense. On both harness you showed is the missing wire the one for brake lights which for EU spec lights are wired alone.
Gotcha! In an older post, there was a guy who was trying to do just the opposite. He was trying to go from Euro tails to US spec tail lighting to make everything work. He said it was difficult, be eventually got everything working.

One more thing: on the black plug, which pin is used? 2, 5 & 6 are not used on mine. This will come in handy when I get my Euro's. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 03-02-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Gotcha thanks! In an older post, these was a guy who was trying to do just the opposite. He was trying to go from Euro tails to US spec tail lighting to make everything work. He said it was difficult, be eventually got everything working.
The difference is that you dont have to rewire when EU spec car wants US similar lights because all the wiring is done. They have all 6 wires on their blue harness to each type of lightning. They just has to code it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Gotcha! In an older post, there was a guy who was trying to do just the opposite. He was trying to go from Euro tails to US spec tail lighting to make everything work. He said it was difficult, be eventually got everything working.

One more thing: on the black plug, which pin is used? 2, 5 & 6 are not used on mine. This will come in handy when I get my Euro's. Thanks!
My mistake on earlier post writing that the long wire from inner green/red wire is connected to grey wire on black outer harness. You go past this black outer harness and directly wire to the outer lights red wire. You slightly push harness down and up on the outer lights to free the harness and then youll see a red wire which you connect the green/red wire from inner lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My mistake on earlier post writing that the long wire from inner green/red wire is connected to grey wire on black outer harness. You go past this black outer harness and directly wire to the outer lights red wire. You slightly push harness down and up on the outer lights to free the harness and then youll see a red wire which you connect the green/red wire from inner lights.
Gotcha
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
You can´t receive PM - Sashok87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashok87
Hi do you sell just one of them ?? Or all together?? Need just driver side upper one
Sashok87 Prefer to sell all of them together. Will have a hard time selling if I only sell one at a time as there is hardly anyone who has BMW in Greenland. You can buy all of them and sell them afterwards. It will probably be easier for you when yuo´re in the US. You can give me your best price for all of them?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #13
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
BUMP
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
New price
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
Taatsi
Greenland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashok87
Hi I am looking rear driver side taillight . Do you sell them separately? And how much is it ? Thank you
Yes i can sell them separately. Can you come with a bid? You can buy them all and save a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 01:28 AM   #16
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Hey guys

Thank you for the info.
I am in the same situation where I need to make the change.
I got the lights a it don’t understand the wiring update needed.
I see there is a difference in the number of wires in the plug.
But what did you do to add the missing one ?

Also how did you remove the inner light ?

Thank you
Appreciate 0