proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

10-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 328I

Garage List
Looking to buy my first M car (1-2 years time frame)

I know its ways from now (1-2 years) but I'm gathering my info and doing my research now to kind of narrow down what I want. F82 M4 probably 2018 and newer for the LCI models but if there isn't much difference I wouldn't mind older F82 (2015-2017). And for the M4 I would aim for less than 50,000 Kms and with ultimate package or at least competition seats and rims. I really love the look of the M4 even with no packages. As for the M4 seeing a lot of good examples around $48,000 to $65,000 CAD. Feel free to chime in on what you would choose and why.

If I'm spending towards the $60k range I would want it to be 2018 or newer. If anyone owns a F82 please chime in! What should I look for in terms of purchasing an M4. Mechanical issues, rare options, colors, rims etc! All the info helps. I really love the Mineral Grey or Tanzanite Blue OR Black with the 20" 666M wheels with carbon package. I do prefer the Competition seats but not really a big deal. My biggest concern is whether or not buying Pre-Lci or LCI is really going to be big difference as compared to an E92, which I currently own (Pre-LCI).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
knickerbocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've owned a 17 F82 ZCP, a 18 f80 ZCP, and test drove a couple of non ZCP 15 F80s. From my research, I think there was actually 2 LCIs, the first for 2016-2017 cars, and the second for 2018 and newer cars.

The first LCI was definitely the most significant. My impression of the 15 F80s I test drove was that it really struggled to get traction. This is for the DCT, I've heard that the manual didn't have this problem. The 17 and 18 I owned were much better at putting down the power. I'm not sure if this is the effect of the competition package or the LCI. I never test drove a non ZCP 16+ car so I can't judge whether it's the ZCP or the LCI that caused this improvement. The other noticeable difference between the ZCP and the non-ZCP was the ride. All cars I tested had adaptive suspension and it just felt that ZCP was one level firmer. Comfort in the ZCP was like sport in the non-ZCP, sport was like sport+, etc.

I personally couldn't tell much of a difference between the 17 and 18 in terms of driving. The 18s will have the updated lights (rear LEDs, and the ICON front headlights). Personally I feel this makes the car look much more modern and I would recommend them. However, I know there are others that prefer the look of the pre-18 lights and if you fall into this camp I wouldn't worry that the 16 and 17s drive significantly differently compared to the 18+.

A personal recommendation would be to get full leather if possible. It makes the interior seem much more high end and luxurious. It's also one of the options that's hard to retro-fit after the fact. For example it's pretty easy to add lip, spoiler, diffuser, etc., but retro-fitting full leather seems pretty expensive and hard to do.

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

60k two years from now will probably get you a lot of options.

There were incremental changes to idrive over the years. I use carplay mostly so the latter idrive versions don’t really matter to me.

Full leather makes the interior feel more upscale. BUT, if you haven’t been in one and tested one with Cloth / Extended Leather and are satisfied with it, then go for it.

LED headlamps make the car look more updated, but TBH I’m not convinced the lighting performance is better than Bixenons.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Are you going to be modding the car in any way - Specifically tuning and/or suspension? If so, look for a well maintained non-comp model. Comp is great if you want to stay stock forever and like to tell people you have a comp pack - but definitely find one running 19's (comps do come with the 437m option) or ditch the 20's for 18 or 19's. LCI changes are cosmetic so that will be up to you as to what model year you would like. If you are looking at '15 & '16 MY, then try to find one that is running a later version of iStep (often updated by dealers as was mine) - takes care of the "spikiness" that some people initially complained about on the platform.
      10-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickerbocker View Post
I've owned a 17 F82 ZCP, a 18 f80 ZCP, and test drove a couple of non ZCP 15 F80s. From my research, I think there was actually 2 LCIs, the first for 2016-2017 cars, and the second for 2018 and newer cars.

The first LCI was definitely the most significant. My impression of the 15 F80s I test drove was that it really struggled to get traction. This is for the DCT, I've heard that the manual didn't have this problem. The 17 and 18 I owned were much better at putting down the power. I'm not sure if this is the effect of the competition package or the LCI. I never test drove a non ZCP 16+ car so I can't judge whether it's the ZCP or the LCI that caused this improvement. The other noticeable difference between the ZCP and the non-ZCP was the ride. All cars I tested had adaptive suspension and it just felt that ZCP was one level firmer. Comfort in the ZCP was like sport in the non-ZCP, sport was like sport+, etc.

I personally couldn't tell much of a difference between the 17 and 18 in terms of driving. The 18s will have the updated lights (rear LEDs, and the ICON front headlights). Personally I feel this makes the car look much more modern and I would recommend them. However, I know there are others that prefer the look of the pre-18 lights and if you fall into this camp I wouldn't worry that the 16 and 17s drive significantly differently compared to the 18+.

A personal recommendation would be to get full leather if possible. It makes the interior seem much more high end and luxurious. It's also one of the options that's hard to retro-fit after the fact. For example it's pretty easy to add lip, spoiler, diffuser, etc., but retro-fitting full leather seems pretty expensive and hard to do.

Good luck with your search!
Thank you so much for that info. I actually never knew there were 2 LCI models for the M4 so I did my research over the weekend and I personally don't mind any of the 16+ M4s. I do really want the ZCP with Carbon roof, side mirrors, diffuser and spoiler. Other than performance I also believe the M4 ZCP would hold more of it's value with the Competition package. I do agree with the idea of getting full leather if can with the competition seats would make me really happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
60k two years from now will probably get you a lot of options.

There were incremental changes to idrive over the years. I use carplay mostly so the latter idrive versions don’t really matter to me.

Full leather makes the interior feel more upscale. BUT, if you haven’t been in one and tested one with Cloth / Extended Leather and are satisfied with it, then go for it.

LED headlamps make the car look more updated, but TBH I’m not convinced the lighting performance is better than Bixenons.
The infotainment is something that's not really a concern for me, and I haven't test driven any M4 so far so I will for sure keep that in mind in terms of the extended leather. What's been your experience with your M4 what kind do you have!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Are you going to be modding the car in any way - Specifically tuning and/or suspension? If so, look for a well maintained non-comp model. Comp is great if you want to stay stock forever and like to tell people you have a comp pack - but definitely find one running 19's (comps do come with the 437m option) or ditch the 20's for 18 or 19's. LCI changes are cosmetic so that will be up to you as to what model year you would like. If you are looking at '15 & '16 MY, then try to find one that is running a later version of iStep (often updated by dealers as was mine) - takes care of the "spikiness" that some people initially complained about on the platform.
I don't plan on tuning the car at all in terms of performance, but I would like to lower the car. At the same time If I get the 666M Competition wheels I would keep it stock and wouldn't really care. if I get a non ZCP M4 which I don't mind if I had no choice or the price was just too good to pass on. In terms of the LCI I will for sure aim for newer, preferably 2018 and newer which would be 2-4 years old. If there is a really great condition 15 ,16 or 17 that is a deal i can't pass on then maybe I would consider it. But I do like the 18+ LCI lights, and the 16 LCI. So I'm trying to really see what my options are. I think the main thing is how the new G82 M4 does, because I think that will really dictate the price action on the F82 M4. So right now seems like a waiting game.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

I think you should narrow down to key things you want.
- Exterior/Interior color combo (SO interior is stunning)
- must have features (DCT 6MT, LED, LCI)

Then start your search accordingly. While you're saying you don't plan to tune, i won't be surprised if that changes after a few months of driving. For example, my understanding is that before the competition package, the exhaust wouldn't burble (wrong choice of word?) And a tune would fix it. Coming from 435 with MPE and MPPK i wanted that for sure.

A number of M4 CS would likely be coming off leases so keep an eye out for that.

With G80, 2 years down the lane ppl would have been used to the massive grills so hopefully the pricing goes down for you.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
905SlowE92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
I think you should narrow down to key things you want.
- Exterior/Interior color combo (SO interior is stunning)
- must have features (DCT 6MT, LED, LCI)

Then start your search accordingly. While you're saying you don't plan to tune, i won't be surprised if that changes after a few months of driving. For example, my understanding is that before the competition package, the exhaust wouldn't burble (wrong choice of word?) And a tune would fix it. Coming from 435 with MPE and MPPK i wanted that for sure.

A number of M4 CS would likely be coming off leases so keep an eye out for that.

With G80, 2 years down the lane ppl would have been used to the massive grills so hopefully the pricing goes down for you.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your input!

I really am in love with the SO for the inside. Now in terms of transmission I don't really mind DCT or 6MT. I do like the LCI tail lights on the 17 and onwards so if I can get 17 and newer that's the goal.
Appreciate 0