BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #1
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

What Part numbers are these? Also Steering Wheel Question

Hey guys,

My 2015 xDrive35D has these pillars that look rusted and I would like to swap them out. I cannot figure out the exact part number for them. Both driver and passenger sides are rusty like that and my only guess is due to sea spray as this has been a FL only car (still is)

Another question while I'm at it, how do I go about changing the steering wheel from the fat ugly one to the M one? Looks like I would need a full swap (airbag and all) since they would most likely not be interchangeable right?

Any help would be great!

Thank you

Last edited by NCThreePedals; 02-07-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I can't see the photo you uploaded but bmwfans.info is a great place to find the part numbers you're looking for.

In terms of the steering wheel, yes, you'd need an M Sport or M wheel with front and back trim pieces and the 2 stage North American airbag (be very careful as there are a bunch of single stage bags on eBay for sale at tempting prices from Europe). These wheels come up pretty regularly in the classified ads - check the 3 series classified too as the M and M Sport wheels and trim are the same across a number of models. I put an M3 wheel in my 35d X5 (with the leather 2 stage bag) - it's just a nice step above the normal M Sport wheels - check online for some pictures if you don't know the difference (colored stitching, centre split leather trim). Also be aware of the modules in your existing wheels (heat, vibration, etc). There are many DIYs on this upgrade as well you can find with a little searching. The worst part is getting the base model (Sport) steering wheel's airbag out - I've done it a couple times on 3 and X series cars and it's a real drag. The M sport and M bags are a cinch in comparison. You'll love the upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
I can't see the photo you uploaded but bmwfans.info is a great place to find the part numbers you're looking for.

In terms of the steering wheel, yes, you'd need an M Sport or M wheel with front and back trim pieces and the 2 stage North American airbag (be very careful as there are a bunch of single stage bags on eBay for sale at tempting prices from Europe). These wheels come up pretty regularly in the classified ads - check the 3 series classified too as the M and M Sport wheels and trim are the same across a number of models. I put an M3 wheel in my 35d X5 (with the leather 2 stage bag) - it's just a nice step above the normal M Sport wheels - check online for some pictures if you don't know the difference (colored stitching, centre split leather trim). Also be aware of the modules in your existing wheels (heat, vibration, etc). There are many DIYs on this upgrade as well you can find with a little searching. The worst part is getting the base model (Sport) steering wheel's airbag out - I've done it a couple times on 3 and X series cars and it's a real drag. The M sport and M bags are a cinch in comparison. You'll love the upgrade!
Thank you! I had the wrong link tied to the picture so it should show up now!

Yeah when I had a F82 a couple years back I really missed that steering wheel. I'd let a shop do the swap as I don't like to mess with springs or airbags and just letting the pros handle that is best for me.

The only feature mine has is heated, no vibration other than due to the motor mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Looks like you are referring to the gloss black window trims? They don't look rusty in the picture--more like surface scratches since I'm almost certain these are plastic. This happens anywhere all the time unless you are meticulous about your paint during washes. They should buff out but I would be careful since the finishing seems a bit soft vs paint; just get them PPF after buffing if this annoys you.

A few threads across different platforms talked about this already:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1348079
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1503479
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
Hey guys,

My 2015 xDrive35D has these pillars that look rusted and I would like to swap them out. I cannot figure out the exact part number for them. Both driver and passenger sides are rusty like that and my only guess is due to sea spray as this has been a FL only car (still is)

Another question while I'm at it, how do I go about changing the steering wheel from the fat ugly one to the M one? Looks like I would need a full swap (airbag and all) since they would most likely not be interchangeable right?

Any help would be great!

Thank you
You can find part numbers here:
https://www.realoem.com/

Steering wheel-yes you will need the wheel and the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
Looks like you are referring to the gloss black window trims? They don't look rusty in the picture--more like surface scratches since I'm almost certain these are plastic. This happens anywhere all the time unless you are meticulous about your paint during washes. They should buff out but I would be careful since the finishing seems a bit soft vs paint; just get them PPF after buffing if this annoys you.

A few threads across different platforms talked about this already:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1348079
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1503479
I should've posted closer shots of the bad parts, it is definitely rusting and the paint coming off

Thank you I will do some digging there
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
I did the steering wheel swap on my XLine to an M Sport wheel and airbag. Just make sure the one you get isn't from a 5 or 7 series as the hub sizes are different. I personally went with an f30 one in mine and have since swapped to a Coby Wheel.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | FTP F10 Inlet/ Turner F10 Intake Pipe | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ | Custom 3.5" Catback |
Appreciate 1