BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
atyrimos
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Cold Start

Guys, I saw a few threads here and there about cold start problems but not sure they are the same as mine.

When starting the car in the morning when the engine is cold I get some kind of lag between 1000-1500 rpms. The engine kind of stalls if you are accelerating slowly, happens mostly when I am stuck in traffic and happens on 1st and 2nd gear only. Used the fuel cleaner to clean the dpf but didn’t fix it.

Any ideas on what to try to fix this?

Never happens when the engine is running on optimal temperatures and never if I’m over the 1500 rpms while going through gear changes. Got the F15 2014 30d auto
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyrimos View Post
Guys, I saw a few threads here and there about cold start problems but not sure they are the same as mine.

When starting the car in the morning when the engine is cold I get some kind of lag between 1000-1500 rpms. The engine kind of stalls if you are accelerating slowly, happens mostly when I am stuck in traffic and happens on 1st and 2nd gear only. Used the fuel cleaner to clean the dpf but didn’t fix it.

Any ideas on what to try to fix this?

Never happens when the engine is running on optimal temperatures and never if I’m over the 1500 rpms while going through gear changes. Got the F15 2014 30d auto
Dying injectors
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
Dying injectors
I wonder how many miles on the engine. Is it a 35 or 50? (edit, just noticed you said 35d)
After my run in with injectors going to crap and carnage they can cause, I'll doubt I'll let injectors on a car go past 100k miles again, without replacing them..

Could also be coils going bad, or something like a cracked crank case ventilation hose, if 50i engine. Cracked hose was the issue, when I had the stumbling issue the first time.

Another thing on high mileage 50i's is the plastic intakes to turbos, that can crack and leak air, causing issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #4
atyrimos
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I wonder how many miles on the engine. Is it a 35 or 50? (edit, just noticed you said 35d)
After my run in with injectors going to crap and carnage they can cause, I'll doubt I'll let injectors on a car go past 100k miles again, without replacing them..

Could also be coils going bad, or something like a cracked crank case ventilation hose, if 50i engine. Cracked hose was the issue, when I had the stumbling issue the first time.

Another thing on high mileage 50i's is the plastic intakes to turbos, that can crack and leak air, causing issues.
135k miles on the car, its the 30d engine
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyrimos View Post
135k miles on the car, its the 30d engine
I don't know much about the 30d engine and it's woes.
But with that many miles, start by getting a scan, and google the issue.
Good luck figuring it out.
Appreciate 0