BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2024, 08:54 AM   #1
ATXF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M

Seeking Feedback: 17 X5M or 19 X50i

Hi All!

I’m looking for some advice. Im looking at buying either a 17 X5M or 19 X5 50i. I don’t see a lot of posts cross shipping generations of these models vs typically in the same gen. Realizing the tech is much better in the G05…. But M haha. Thoughts? And wondering if the newer v8 gen is more reliable… enough so to matter? Similar miles and price between the two options… if anything the M is 5k cheaper.

Driving the two platforms back to back isn't an option based on whats in my area, so I'm open to feedback from those that had the opportunity.

I'm not horribly hung up on maintenance costs - I know brakes are more, tires are more and I'll go through them faster. The S63 seems to have improved quite a bit over the years as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 09:24 AM   #2
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

I’m at 80k on my ‘17 X5M and have only replaced brake pads per your comments at the bottom. Normal maintenance, just stay on top of it for the M.

Here is what has broken for me that I’ve replaced. Front drive shaft. Rear air bags. That’s it.

I did the transfer case fluid change and recalibration too at 75k miles. Tightened my oil pump chain,

Engine is super reliable in my opinion if you take care of it just like any other BMW.

Get the M, there is a big difference in driving between the two.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 11:42 AM   #3
Twist30
Rep
Drives: 2001 E39 M5, 2015 F85 X5M

20 years ago, I sold my car JDM car I built in high school because I graduated college and decided it was time to move on and be an adult. I purchased a 2001 525i and joined the German luxury cruise missile club (okay, maybe the 525i isn't quite a missile).

I was happy for quite a while- didn't have to worry about breaking down, didn't have to worry about getting pulled over, didn't have to plan ahead and chart out places I was going to see if my MR2 could clear speed bumps and other road hazards.

After 6 months, my soul was empty. I commuted for about 20 miles round trip daily and while short, it was an entertaining commute that encompassed a nice California back road that was technical and twisty. While the 525i held it's own, it left me wanting more.

Perusing bimmerforums I came across a higher mileage E39 M5. It was well kept, and though it has relatively high miles (140k), the owner seemed to have taken great care. It was only a few thousand more than I paid for the 525i. It was local, and it was going to be at a meet in the upcoming weekend and the owner was inviting interested parties to come check it out.

Lemans blue on blue with titanium trim. I hopped in for a test drive and the difference was night and day compared to my 525i. Needless to say I cut a check that weekend and passed the 525i down to my brother.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of driving a variety of other M and non-M cars, and have come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for the M. It is the definition of peak performance for that platform and BMW does an amazing job drawing a clear line between their top performance trim and the non-M variants.

Fast forward to earlier this year when I was shopping for an SUV, I test drove an F15 X50i and then an F85 X5M, and now my wife rolls her eyes everytime she catches me staring out at the driveway at both my M cars.

As an enthusiast, I don't think I'll ever buy a non-M.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2024, 12:51 PM   #4
ATXF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist30 View Post
20 years ago, I sold my car JDM car I built in high school because I graduated college and decided it was time to move on and be an adult. I purchased a 2001 525i and joined the German luxury cruise missile club (okay, maybe the 525i isn't quite a missile).

I was happy for quite a while- didn't have to worry about breaking down, didn't have to worry about getting pulled over, didn't have to plan ahead and chart out places I was going to see if my MR2 could clear speed bumps and other road hazards.

After 6 months, my soul was empty. I commuted for about 20 miles round trip daily and while short, it was an entertaining commute that encompassed a nice California back road that was technical and twisty. While the 525i held it's own, it left me wanting more.

Perusing bimmerforums I came across a higher mileage E39 M5. It was well kept, and though it has relatively high miles (140k), the owner seemed to have taken great care. It was only a few thousand more than I paid for the 525i. It was local, and it was going to be at a meet in the upcoming weekend and the owner was inviting interested parties to come check it out.

Lemans blue on blue with titanium trim. I hopped in for a test drive and the difference was night and day compared to my 525i. Needless to say I cut a check that weekend and passed the 525i down to my brother.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of driving a variety of other M and non-M cars, and have come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for the M. It is the definition of peak performance for that platform and BMW does an amazing job drawing a clear line between their top performance trim and the non-M variants.

Fast forward to earlier this year when I was shopping for an SUV, I test drove an F15 X50i and then an F85 X5M, and now my wife rolls her eyes everytime she catches me staring out at the driveway at both my M cars.

As an enthusiast, I don't think I'll ever buy a non-M.
Great response for perspective. I’ve been in a similar spot before. It’s funny… I was reading it on my phone, so it looks significantly longer than it was, so I was wondering where it was going, but it definitely landed. Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 1
Twist3012.00
      07-29-2024, 12:57 PM   #5
ATXF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
I’m at 80k on my ‘17 X5M and have only replaced brake pads per your comments at the bottom. Normal maintenance, just stay on top of it for the M.

Here is what has broken for me that I’ve replaced. Front drive shaft. Rear air bags. That’s it.

I did the transfer case fluid change and recalibration too at 75k miles. Tightened my oil pump chain,

Engine is super reliable in my opinion if you take care of it just like any other BMW.

Get the M, there is a big difference in driving between the two.
Thanks for your response! I'll admit I've been a bit concerned about maint costs, even assuming there's no huge unicorn of an issue. None of that sounds crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 01:19 PM   #6
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Well, it depends if you go to a dealer, independent me CJ panic, or DIY.

I DIY as much as I can if I have the right tools. Deeper things like rod bearings, t-case rebuild, alignments, I would take it somewhere to be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 08:10 PM   #7
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
X5M all day!!!
      07-29-2024, 10:38 PM   #8
X5M_RoOkIE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXF10M5 View Post
Hi All!

I’m looking for some advice. Im looking at buying either a 17 X5M or 19 X5 50i. I don’t see a lot of posts cross shipping generations of these models vs typically in the same gen. Realizing the tech is much better in the G05…. But M haha. Thoughts? And wondering if the newer v8 gen is more reliable… enough so to matter? Similar miles and price between the two options… if anything the M is 5k cheaper.

Driving the two platforms back to back isn't an option based on whats in my area, so I'm open to feedback from those that had the opportunity.

I'm not horribly hung up on maintenance costs - I know brakes are more, tires are more and I'll go through them faster. The S63 seems to have improved quite a bit over the years as well...

For sure X5M! the drive def feels different and move fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2024, 01:07 AM   #9
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

The question you need to ask yourself what do you want more? An X5 or the ///M badge. In this case they are mutually exclusive.

I was in the same boat when I chose my F85. I didn't have F95 money but due to my mental illness, I wanted an X5M, not an X5 50i. The choice was a X5M or nothing.

The question is are you equally mentally disabled or ....? Because parts that are ///M specific do attract the ///M tax. Even if they are 95% the same the 50i the price tag may be 2x,3x.

From these 2, I would say if you can live without have that ///M badge. Go with the 50i.
If you can, take both for a spin. See which one you like more.

If you want to tinker/mod the car. Have a look at the aftermarket options doe the platform support what you want to do to it?
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2024, 03:16 PM   #10
ATXF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

All good feedback! Thanks all!

To Chliled's point... apparently I have a mental illness. X5M it is. Picking it up tomorrow. 17 X5M with 45k miles. PPI went well, so I should be in good shape for now.
Appreciate 1
maDjzo904.50
      08-01-2024, 03:57 PM   #11
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Based on your profile, you're coming from an F10 M5. You know once you've gone M...

Excellent choice!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2024, 09:59 PM   #12
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i G05 M50i

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
All good feedback! Thanks all!

To Chliled's point... apparently I have a mental illness. X5M it is. Picking it up tomorrow. 17 X5M with 45k miles. PPI went well, so I should be in good shape for now.
Spec? Pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2024, 10:55 PM   #13
I Luv BMW
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Based on your profile, you're coming from an F10 M5. You know once you've gone M...

Excellent choice!
True story, but there are some (mainly one person) who believe that an F10 535i and G30 540i has a superior chassis and ride performance than an F86 X6M (and by extension, F85 X5M) which essentially makes it "more M" than the X6M/X5M, despite evidence to the contrary. Moreover, the X6M/X5M lacks the performance to be a 'real' M.

Page 238 onwards makes for humorous reading. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...11723&page=238

BTW congrats OP.

Last edited by I Luv BMW; 08-01-2024 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 08:05 PM   #14
ATXF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all! 45k mi. PPI checked out fine. 4mm on front pads was the worst of it, which isn't even that bad.

Donington Grey w/ Full Marino Leather, Drivers Asst, Exec Package, and B&O. The full alcantara headliner is a great touch too- are they all that way? ...

I got the car yesterday, and I've already ordered a downpipe, bought the BM3 tune, and went ahead and got plugs and coil packs just to make sure it's fresh ahead of throwing more power at it. I'll do the Xpipe to stock muffler setup that seems to be popular. I'm just hoping the smell isn't too much for me. Given my car history I'm thinking I should be fine.

To that point...very off topic I know, but I'll put it out there anyway. I've seen people ask about putting a 200 cell high flow cat at the very front of the X pipe, just off the downpipe - a way cheaper option. I'll be trying it any reporting back IF the smell gets too me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-03-2024, 08:51 PM   #15
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

Nice ride! That's what I plan on doing with my exhaust, 200 cell converters after the downpipes, wrapped with dei titanium heat wrap from the turbo past the cat.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2024, 06:23 AM   #16
MBoss_F86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

I have catless dps, resonators delete, x-pipe and Dinan Axle back. There us definitely gas smell when you drive with windows down. More noticeable at stop lights. I shouldn't have deleted the resonators, sounds improved but have unwanted drone/rasp in low rpm

I just ordered 200 cel catted dps and full catback valued exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2024, 02:20 PM   #17
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i G05 M50i

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks all! 45k mi. PPI checked out fine. 4mm on front pads was the worst of it, which isn't even that bad.

Donington Grey w/ Full Marino Leather, Drivers Asst, Exec Package, and B&O. The full alcantara headliner is a great touch too- are they all that way? ...

I got the car yesterday, and I've already ordered a downpipe, bought the BM3 tune, and went ahead and got plugs and coil packs just to make sure it's fresh ahead of throwing more power at it. I'll do the Xpipe to stock muffler setup that seems to be popular. I'm just hoping the smell isn't too much for me. Given my car history I'm thinking I should be fine.

To that point...very off topic I know, but I'll put it out there anyway. I've seen people ask about putting a 200 cell high flow cat at the very front of the X pipe, just off the downpipe - a way cheaper option. I'll be trying it any reporting back IF the smell gets too me.
Congrats, great spec indeed. Looking to get back into X5 myself. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2024, 04:34 PM   #18
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, M3 ZCP 6MT, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [9.83]
2017 BMW/M3  [9.90]
Quote:
The full alcantara headliner is a great touch too- are they all that way? ...
Yes, the F85 X5M all have alcantara headliners, I just wish my F80 M3 came that way from factory.
      08-05-2024, 02:33 AM   #19
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

It’s 2024. There is no need to run catless on the street.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2024, 09:19 AM   #20
ATXF10M5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85 Sport View Post
It’s 2024. There is no need to run catless on the street.
Going with a muffler delete and X pipe. Also got a set of vibrant resonators to replace the stock ones. I think I’ll be set and skip the catless.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 05:00 PM   #21
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv BMW View Post
True story, but there are some (mainly one person) who believe that an F10 535i and G30 540i has a superior chassis and ride performance than an F86 X6M (and by extension, F85 X5M) which essentially makes it "more M" than the X6M/X5M, despite evidence to the contrary. Moreover, the X6M/X5M lacks the performance to be a 'real' M.

Page 238 onwards makes for humorous reading. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...11723&page=238

BTW congrats OP.
LOL. Whatever floats their boat. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 07:17 AM   #22
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Keep in mind to check out your front driveshaft for play

And i am here when you’re ready for your front/rear brake upgrade!

Appreciate 0