BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Mechatrosonic
Mechanical crazy
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2009 Alpine DCT

Smile The best brake pads for StopTech BBK

I'm considering to replace pads for coming racing track driving. There are some pads selections for StopTech Trophy brake system so I don't know which pads would fit track use and my driving style. It's not competition nor endurance race event but I'll set my car up for the track. Anyone who goes to track with racing tires and set up, please give me some advice!

What do you think these kinds of pads such as PFC01, HT-01, DTC-70, Ferodo3000 plus, Pagid RS14? For STR-60 and STR-40
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Very hard to say - since everyone has a different level of experience.
- if your a Pro or very experiene amateur club racer = Cobalt Friction XR1 (see ALMS, World Challenge, Grand Am)
- if your an experienced amateur HPDE'r = PFC01 or Mintex FR3 or DTC70
- below that it gets hard to judge between track newbs and novices and how you manage brakes. Some people do great with the Pagids and some even run the StopTech pads and do ok.

Avoid the HT10
Whatever you choose - make sure you change pads for the street - as most of the aggressive pads will eat rotors at low temperatures (street driving).
Also, it is a good idea to bed-in new pads (street or track)
And it is a great idea to "clean" your rotors between street and track. Before a track day put the race pads on a day early and drive around town for half a day = that way you clean the street pads rotor deposits off.
After the track day, leave the race pads on for half a day (or drive home on them), to clean the track pad deposits off the rotor before you change back to street pads.

There is a great write up on this fromba guy with a C5 Z06 Vette with Video and pics = but cant find it.
Read This:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...tml#post357842
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What's your experience with the Street Sport pads? Were they not good enough?

I've had professional race car drivers do consecutive laps in my car and no one ever complained about the brakes.

See review here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339849 Note: user KINGLEH in the thread won 24h of Nürburgring last year
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Any idea who makes the Street Sport pads?

Stoptech said they have pro drivers using them on the track without issues.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
Mechatrosonic
Mechanical crazy
Japan
Rep

mastek: Thanks for posting very good infos. I'm an experienced amateur HPDE'r. So I'd choose and try to use PFC01 or DTC70. Mintex FR3 is hard to find. I guess it's not sold in the public store. It's sold for limited race team.??

rldzhao: Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was satisdied with the OEM performance of Trophy system and OEM pads,good enogh on daily street driving and light race situation but if I attend the time attack and become aggressive, I have to replace to the racing pads. Yeah, pro-drive has very good skills beyond amature like me, so they can drive very quicker and faster than us with any car, any tires and any pads. I know I don't need to get the pro specs until my skills become closer to professionals.

aus: Thanks for the reply. Yes, lots of owners who use StopTech never complain of its performance including professionals and higher level attacker. But I'm so interested in higher perfomance pads for Trophy kits. Some people who drive on track frequently tend to replace the pads for track to get more performance and run quicker with AP racing BBK or Brembo BBK. If I go to track to get better time and better performance, they are saying about replacing to the racing pads. It's gonna be a very expensive purchace and changing my driving style. I know StopTech OEM pads are good enough to run on both street and racing track. I have to improve my skills before thinking of getting expensive pads. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any idea who makes the Street Sport pads?

Stoptech said they have pro drivers using them on the track without issues.
StopTech is owned by Centric Parts. The high performance street pad is the same compound as one sold under the Centric name, but I forget which one. I have not had my car on track yet (also have the ST-60/ST-40 system), but I think I will try the OE pads. I've heard several folks say they work well for casual track use. But in honesty, the reports were regarding lighter cars, so I'm not convinced they will be totally satisfactory on an E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Mechatrosonic
Mechanical crazy
Japan
Rep

Thanks for the message.
Yeah, the OEM pads is not so good but not too bad. Especially on the racing track they won't work perfectlly I guess.

Did anyone used to run on the track with racing pads such as PFC-01 or Pagid RS14? I wanna have any infos about that. Somebody say they don't work with StopTech system, because of un-matching of pads and OEM rotors on StopTech normal system and Trophy system. I'm afraid of that.;-)

>>>StopTech is owned by Centric Parts. The high performance street pad is the same compound as one sold under the Centric name, but I forget which one. I have not had my car on track yet (also have the ST-60/ST-40 system), but I think I will try the OE pads. I've heard several folks say they work well for casual track use. But in honesty, the reports were regarding lighter cars, so I'm not convinced they will be totally satisfactory on an E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I will be running RS14's front and RS29's rear which was what Andreas the brake rep from Pagid recommended for my use which is aggresive.I have the 380/355 setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Mechatrosonic
Mechanical crazy
Japan
Rep

Thanks for ur great info. I don't feel like using PFC, so I'll try to set Pagid up on my M3. I know PFC01 is the best but I don't wanna use same pads as many re using.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I will be running RS14's front and RS29's rear which was what Andreas the brake rep from Pagid recommended for my use which is aggresive.I have the 380/355 setup.
I have not used the RS 14, but I’ve used the RS 29 on several cars, and they are great pads. I think the 14 is just a bit higher friction pad, and I’m sure you will be impressed with them. I’m relatively easy on brakes, so I’m going to try the StopTech high performance street pads as an experiment. If they work okay, they should be a good bit easier on the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I have not used the RS 14, but I’ve used the RS 29 on several cars, and they are great pads. I think the 14 is just a bit higher friction pad, and I’m sure you will be impressed with them. I’m relatively easy on brakes, so I’m going to try the StopTech high performance street pads as an experiment. If they work okay, they should be a good bit easier on the rotors.
I used the ST street pads last track day and they worked OK with not being overly aggresive on them on track but they did wear a lot more than I hoped which is why I am going to the Pagids.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
Mechatrosonic
Mechanical crazy
Japan
Rep

Thanks for the message. Ummm, anyway I'll try to change to Pagids for track running. The OEM StopTech pads give me a good touch and feeling but they always make the wheels dirty and lots of dusts.

>>>>elh0102
>>>>I have not used the RS 14, but I’ve used the RS 29 on several cars, and they are great pads. I think the 14 is just a bit higher friction pad, and I’m sure you will be impressed with them. I’m relatively easy on brakes, so I’m going to try the StopTech high performance street pads as an experiment. If they work okay, they should be a good bit easier on the rotors.

Yes, I think so. The OEM pads wear very quickly and blow lots of dust. It's annoyed me. I'll try to use low dust but not so kow friction, they are made for only StopTech in Japan, I ordered. I hope they won't lose the good feelig as the OEMS have. For the track, I'll try Pagids. Lots of track addicted persons who drive Porsche 911 and GT3 and Lotus users are likely to use the Pagid on the track day, as for the Porsche, Pagids are used as OEM pads when they are delivered.
>>>>>Gearhead999s
>>>>>I used the ST street pads last track day and they worked OK with not being overly aggresive on them on track but they did wear a lot more than I hoped which is why I am going to the Pagids.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Anyone have experience with carbotechs? I think ill be trying out a set of xp10 and xp8. I find that on hard braking tracks, the oem pads may get overheated and start to wear much more quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Very hard to say - since everyone has a different level of experience.
- if your a Pro or very experiene amateur club racer = Cobalt Friction XR1 (see ALMS, World Challenge, Grand Am)
- if your an experienced amateur HPDE'r = PFC01 or Mintex FR3 or DTC70...
I have to vouch for this statement. I have run both PFC01 and XR1 and they are very close by XR1's are smoother with less of an initial bite that the PFC01 has. XR1's also have better release. I ran PFC01's at one lap of america and didn't have any problems at all - they were great. XR1's are just better. But as mastek said unless you're very experienced there won't be much of a difference. Both compounds are fairly expensive and last a long time if you don't run them on the street.

XR1 > PFC01

By the way if you want to give XR1's a try, I have a set of XR1's for front stock calipers with on track day on them - they're pretty much brand new. PM me for a good deal. I'm getting stoptech trophy and need another set of XR1's for the stoptech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
Anyone have experience with carbotechs? I think ill be trying out a set of xp10 and xp8. I find that on hard braking tracks, the oem pads may get overheated and start to wear much more quickly.
I run xp10's and xp8's in my ls6 miata. They were great. Very linear brake feel - it gives you lots of control. Dusts and squeals like crazy but supposedly the dust is less corrosive lol. If you brake hard and at a rough track it's possible to burn up a set in one day - it gets kind of expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I'm inclined to say try the street pads that come with the kit. They are pretty inexpensive to replace if they don't work out.

I use PF01s on an ST40 kit. They work excellent! But you can get 4 sets of the ST Street Performance pads for 1 set of the PF01s.

I can't really comment if the PF01s last 4x longer than the ST street pads.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0