BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
RoadHog
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Key Lock inside car in case no comfort Access key

Hi Everyone. Currently i drive a 2011 Z4 which has a key less entry, It was a $500 option so i went for it. I am so use to it now in past 3 years, on several occasion i left my key inside my car but and my car never locks out and i remember to take out my key from the car. For my new 2014 X5 I am not planning to take the comfort access as it is not a standalone option. But i am little worried as i run the risk of locking the keys inside the car. Any thoughts/suggestions, If anybody has faced this situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007

I'm probably missing something here, but how would you lock the car without the key fob if you don't have comfort access?

I understand the car is smart enough to realise the key is inside. All F15s have keyless start as standard but the start function only works if the key is physically inside the car. So it does have a way to detect the key is in the car. But I don't see how the lock function would be activated without using the key fob when the engine is off.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
RoadHog
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive30dGeorge View Post
I'm probably missing something here, but how would you lock the car without the key fob if you don't have comfort access?

I understand the car is smart enough to realise the key is inside. All F15s have keyless start as standard but the start function only works if the key is physically inside the car. So it does have a way to detect the key is in the car. But I don't see how the lock function would be activated without using the key fob when the engine is off.
By manually pressing the lock button on inside the car door handle and then closing your door while getting out. But i think i got answer for my question. IN BMW Assist Key Benefits section they have this option covered. Below is the excerpts from BMW Assist Section.

"Door Unlock: If you ever lock your keys in your BMW, call our Response Center toll-free at 1-888-333-6118 and we will send a signal to your driver’s door to unlock it, after you provide your name and password."
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

I don't think the doors will lock if the key Fob is I'm the actual car. They will remain open
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
RoadHog
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
I don't think the doors will lock if the key Fob is I'm the actual car. They will remain open
Thats even better. I will try it out once i get my delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHog
Quote:
Thats even better. I will try it out once i get my delivery.
In my 2012 x5 the doors won't lock if the key is inside .. So u won't have to worry. This is from my own experience. Give it a try
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHog View Post
By manually pressing the lock button on inside the car door handle and then closing your door while getting out. But i think i got answer for my question. IN BMW Assist Key Benefits section they have this option covered. Below is the excerpts from BMW Assist Section.

"Door Unlock: If you ever lock your keys in your BMW, call our Response Center toll-free at 1-888-333-6118 and we will send a signal to your driver’s door to unlock it, after you provide your name and password."
.....if you don't have a phone or it's in the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Only way you should ever be able to lock your keys in the car is if you toss them in the trunk when the doors are already locked (open trunk with the trunk button and it doesn't unlock doors). Even then, I'm not sure it wouldn't unlock the doors automatically. Key has a chip in it, car knows when it's inside.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Owners Manual: only hits I found were: ( with or w/o C/Acces should be same)
Take the remote control with you and do not
leave it in the cargo area; otherwise, the remote
control is locked inside the vehicle when
the tailgate is closed.◀

The tailgate is locked again as soon as it is
pushed closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
the tailgate is closed.◀

pushed closed.
I thought they fixed that but I guess not. So the trunk/tailgate remains the only way to do it.. Not sure why they can prevent you from locking your key in the car, but can't do it when you go in through the tailgate. Seems odd.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Here is my take: keep the key in your pocket and never worry. If you never get it out of your pocket in or around the car then you can't lose it or lock it in the car. The only problem that I can see is someone who prefers to keep their key in their purse or briefcase or other bag.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also- download the BMW Connect app, you can lock/unlock from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Only way you should ever be able to lock your keys in the car is if you toss them in the trunk when the doors are already locked (open trunk with the trunk button and it doesn't unlock doors). Even then, I'm not sure it wouldn't unlock the doors automatically. Key has a chip in it, car knows when it's inside.
Well I can tell you that it will lock with the keys in it. My wife went into the store to pick up something, left her purse with the keys in the car, got out, and BOOM, doors locked with key inside. Had to call BMW to do a remote, but it can happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
Quote:
Well I can tell you that it will lock with the keys in it. My wife went into the store to pick up something, left her purse with the keys in the car, got out, and BOOM, doors locked with key inside. Had to call BMW to do a remote, but it can happen.
Must still lock itself so nobody steals your car. It knows she left because the driver door opened. That's different than locking the key in it yourself.

Btw, the BMW remote app can also be used to unlock the doors from your phone. Unless of course that's locked in the car too
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Must still lock itself so nobody steals your car. It knows she left because the driver door opened. That's different than locking the key in it yourself.

Btw, the BMW remote app can also be used to unlock the doors from your phone. Unless of course that's locked in the car too

I hear what you are saying, however, I have a Chevy Cruz and if you try and leave your keys in the car:

1. It won't lock the doors if the keys are inside and you leave
2. It will sound a horn 3 times telling you of your mistake
3. you can't lock the door from the outside if the keys are in
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

My new x5 behaves a little differently to some of the examples here, so I suspect there may be some variability based on exactly where in the car the key is sitting. For me, if there was only one key around the car and it was inside the car, (i.e. I did not have a second key in my pocket), the car refused to lock, either with the door handles or the tailgate lock button. On the other hand, if I had a second key in my pocket, the car would lock as normal, even with one key in the car. I tried it with one key in the luggage area and no key in my pocket, and the tailgate would not close when I used the "lock" button while the key was in the vehicle - as soon as I picked the key up from the cargo area, the tailgate closed normally.

Also, if the car was locked and the key was in the car, it would not unlock unless I had a second key with me at the door.

To me, all this means that it will be pretty hard to lock myself out (I wasn't able to do it, but I don't dispute others may be able to), but it is possible to lock the car if (for example) my wife's purse with the second key in it is left in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
Quote:

I hear what you are saying, however, I have a Chevy Cruz and if you try and leave your keys in the car:

1. It won't lock the doors if the keys are inside and you leave
2. It will sound a horn 3 times telling you of your mistake
3. you can't lock the door from the outside if the keys are in
Only real difference is the horn (cool feature) and that it will lock them and prevent your $60k plus vehicle from being taken if you leave the keys in it lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #18
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Wow, Audi, MB and Porsche wont lock! This has To be a bug.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 01:11 PM   #19
dmivida81
Vida
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Quote:
I turned my engine off and got out of my X5 to talk to a friend. My doors locked with my keys inside my purse that was still inside the car. This just happened on Saturday and we're all still baffled and wondering HOW it happened. I had to call my fiancé to bring my spare key. My doors doesn't lock with the keys inside AT ALL.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmivida81 View Post
I turned my engine off and got out of my X5 to talk to a friend. My doors locked with my keys inside my purse that was still inside the car. This just happened on Saturday and we're all still baffled and wondering HOW it happened. I had to call my fiancé to bring my spare key. My doors doesn't lock with the keys inside AT ALL.
Check to see if you have auto lock turned on when a specified amount of time has passed and the doors haven’t been opened & closed. See excerpt from owners manual below…make sure you don’t have the auto lock if no door is opened turned on.

It is an obscure feature that some use to make sure the car is locked if they unlock the door but never open it…the door will then relock. When I read that setting…I made sure it was turned off to prevent what happened to you.

Also, going back in this old thread…the OP did NOT have comfort access so some of the situations mentioned would not apply to them. But there is an anti-lockout feature that wasn’t mentioned….the OP was worried that the could lock the keys inside if they pressed the lock/unlock button on the door. Well, that wouldn’t be an issue because you can’t lock the doors with the central lock/unlock button when the driver’s door is open. That is a BMW feature that goes back for decades.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-14-2022 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 08:57 PM   #21
acmurda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
the tailgate is closed.◀

pushed closed.
I can confirm that to be not true. I once couldn't figure out why the trunk wouldn't close, thought the locking mechanism was shot but it was because my keys were left in my golf bag that I had just placed in there after a round.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:50 AM   #22
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Check to see if you have auto lock turned on when a specified amount of time has passed and the doors haven’t been opened & closed. See excerpt from owners manual below…make sure you don’t have the auto lock if no door is opened turned on.

It is an obscure feature that some use to make sure the car is locked if they unlock the door but never open it…the door will then relock. When I read that setting…I made sure it was turned off to prevent what happened to you.

Also, going back in this old thread…the OP did NOT have comfort access so some of the situations mentioned would not apply to them. But there is an anti-lockout feature that wasn’t mentioned….the OP was worried that the could lock the keys inside if they pressed the lock/unlock button on the door. Well, that wouldn’t be an issue because you can’t lock the doors with the central lock/unlock button when the driver’s door is open. That is a BMW feature that goes back for decades.
I think u r miss understanding the function of the feature u circled in red. That function only kicks in IF u managed to unlock the doors and not open anything, then the car will relock itself. I have left that feature ON since day 1 of owning my X5 and have a habit of not locking my car when its parked inside my garage, and never has it locked itself once overnight. So no, this feature should not be the reason for the person above u locking her keys inside, its something else.