View Single Post
      01-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #34
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

shellpicker , you may be correct.

Q: Do you have ACC? (full braking to a stop as a part of pre collision support)

If you have ACC I can tell you that mine only works at higher speeds when you are a blink of an eye late to respond, triggered by rapid reduction of distance between you and the car in the front. It does not work if you are tailgating when you have 1) deliberately increased risk; and 2) the distance between vehicles is unchanged. Icon goes away after start.

With or without ACC, at lower speeds the pre collision works the same way in that it catches you if you have hesitated or not noticed in time to apply your brakes. Brakes are primed, and when you finally touch them, they bite a lot harder. Passengers might look at you as if you are over reacting because they all feel the jolt from a small tap on the brakes at that point.

It has been triggered in our car mostly when driving in two lane roads, and a car turns into the road from a side street, where the speed delta between the cars is great, and distance reducing rapidly.

I hope yours is working, and that you just have not been in the situation that triggers it. Nothing worse than it not being there when it should.