06-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #109
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajo View Post
What kind of range have you folks experienced? Is it something like 700 miles for diesel and 400 miles for gas?

By my estimations, if that's true, and I drive 20,000 miles a year, the up charge for the diesel pays itself in the first year. Am I mistaken?
I think those are about the maximum ranges you will see, provided you fill up, go on the highway and set it to cruise at 60mph or so. Actually range, given city driving, stop and go will be lower. The diesel range will be higher due to better MPGs. In some parts of the country diesel is cheaper than regular and in other parts more expensive than premium. The math gets fuzzy.

I think in the US most people buy the diesels for their higher torque (lots of power at low RPM, quicker acceleration to 50mph), better MPG/range, better towing or mountain driving performance, but not based on fuel price breakeven.