MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Another great/informative post, Matt!
The thing that struck me as weird when I installed mine was the prescribed mounting point for the front bar. 460mm/18" from the front of the rail. It just seemed way too far forward. With the recommended spread, the rear bar also looked like it should be further back as well.
However, seeing your pics with the cargo box mounted... they look perfectly placed, i.e. some smart people ran all the loading simulations to arrive at the final locations so i shouldn't question it.
Haha... I just eyeballed it, and used a string to make sure both sides were even in relation to they start/end points of the rails. And, I then did the same with the moveable clasps at the bottom of the cargo box. My freeway ride was just two miles so the real test will come tomorrow. Hopefully no box in the freeway and noise level stays as it was today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
Matt,

Thanks for posting, I was planning on getting one, but the BMW one is $950 (dealer offered for $825 as he had in stock) but have not bitten.......

I did try to stand on the sill of the back door though while washing the roof and pretending to access a box and I thought "no way" is it better to access than it appeared to me? How easy have you found it to use?
When I bought this box a few years back, it went on our R500. The dealer recommended I buy Thule, cheaper ($650 from poor memory), from another shop as the Benz version then only opened from one side. Now Benz' is dual-side-open like Thule. Dealer also said that the Benz box was made by Thule. I suspect the BMW box too is made by Thule. In fact, the key shape and numbering system on the cross bars themselves look exactly like Thule.

Door sill standing......as much as I have expressed my dislike for those leg mudding, fake step (same height as the floor bottom) running boards, I have always stated their only benefit is when accessing cargo boxes. I gave up the running boards when I switched from X Line to M Sport. I just keep a towl in the car, and without care step on floorswith wet/muddy feet (over rubber mats), and at 6'1" I can reach the inside of the box. I would not hesitate on stepping on the Mocha Nappa with a towel protecting it. Lastly, for our LX470 we sometimes carry a tiny, ultralight aluminum ladder (max load 180 LBS). It helps quite a bit. Also, it helps if you don't center the box relative to the roof width; keeping it close to either left or right side of the car makes access easier.