BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

B@stards - Absolute scum!!!!

As of last Monday I’d had my brand new X5 M50d for 5 weeks, covered just over 1400 miles and was absolutely loving it!

Whilst on the train back from London Monday night I receive a phone call from the police informing me that my car has been broken into at the station car park.

Try not to panic I thought, you are thinking the worst, probably just a broken window - unfortunately it was worse, much much worse…

Here is a list of the damage that awaited me…

1: Windscreen, Tailgate + All windows bar 1 smashed, including all quarter lights.
2: Car absolutely full of glass and rocks/big lumps of concrete + god knows how much damage to the interior where the various lumps of concrete have impacted.
3: Rear lights smashed.
4: Exterior body work covered in dents and scratches from what looks to be further rock/concrete attacks.
5: Rear hatch/doors gouged and bent from what looks like an attempt to force them with a crowbar.
6: Badges removed via screwdriver/crowbar again leaving scratches/gouges.
7. Tyres slashed/punctured.

I am absolutely gutted.

Insurance assessor coming on Monday – Given the extent of the damage and the fact that the car is only weeks old, I’m hoping for a technical/economic write-off as I really don’t feel that an attempted repair is sufficient/appropriate compensation in this case – Do I have a case/the right to demand either a brand new replacement car or a cash settlement to the value of the list price new?

All thoughts/advice most welcome.

Joe
Previous Other: Caterham 620, Lotus Exige S, TVR Cerbera

Last edited by M8 JTD; 07-10-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Gees... man, sorry, m8.
Wow. I have no idea how insurance process goes on in UK, i just feel your pain and hope you take it easy and do not inflict any damage on something which is 10000000 more important, your health and well being... )))
Although i have admit, for a common theft it is very strange. Crooks just had a field day with your car, looks like they tons of time and enjoyed total privacy. Why? Sad.

Last edited by artem123; 07-13-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Stunnaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 (F16)

Happened to me once about 8 years ago while I was at work. Broke the rear window, climbed in, stole my two 12" subwoofers and everything else that was in the car, even my shoes. Damage wasn't nearly as extensive as yours and insurance did repair the car to perfection.

It was all caught on security cam, and I brought the recording to the local police, but because they couldn't see the faces clearly they said there's nothing they could do.

When we rolled back the security tape we noticed they were already waiting for me by my car the night before, but someone else drove into the parking lot and spooked them. They were probably planning to rob me the night before but failed and instead only broke into my car the following day.

The insurance should take good care of you. It absolutely sucks but it could have been much worse. Glad you're okay.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I agree with your assessment TOTAL SCUM. I don't think that the insurance company will total your vehicle especially since it's almost brand new. Feel sorry for you man....!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I am sorry for your suffering and frustration. Do as Stunnaz. Check the area and ask merchants, etc if they have security cameras, and notify the police. The people who did this should be pursued and deserve the maximum punishment the law affords.
      07-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
touchdown83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35d

Damn that sucks. Do you have any pissed of ex-girlfriends running around town?

It sounds like they intentionally did as much damage as possible, over and above just stealing, which would cause a lot of noise and seems too risky for a real thief.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdown83 View Post
Damn that sucks. Do you have any pissed of ex-girlfriends running around town?

It sounds like they intentionally did as much damage as possible, over and above just stealing, which would cause a lot of noise and seems too risky for a real thief.
+1. That sucks. I'm no expert, but this seems like a job of someone who had beef the guy (crazy ex-wife/girlfriend fits this description). I hope they catch whoever it is and lock her up.
      07-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your comments guys, very much appreciated.

Given the severity of the damage, I called the police back and had them come straight out. The officers that arrived were amazed at the extent of the damage and asked if I knew of any grudges - absolutely none whatsoever. I’d left nothing of value in the car so after the effort they took to get into it, I assume they were pi$$ed off at walking away empty handed so thought they would finish it off. Just a guess, I can’t even begin to understand the mindset and thought process of anyone who would even consider doing such a thing.

The police took the car away for forensics and have recovered a lot of prints + have requested all the CCTV from the railway station/car park – I’m waiting to hear the outcome. Fingers crossed the little scrotes have been arrested before and the police can identify and prosecute based on the prints and CCTV.

Last edited by M8 JTD; 07-10-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Really sorry for what has happened. I doubt you would get the car written off as it is not "major"damage in their books. It is still accident free even if you want to sell it later I believe.

I saw that BMW has some type of camera when ordering but didn't tick that box. Perhaps there is a way to record these things.

I.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Holy shit. Pissed off EX-gf? lol

But seriously my driver window was broken in on my X5 too. Nothing stolen just my car in a chipotle parking lot on a Sunday afternoon.

I found some glass in my rear quarter windows this weekend when giving it a monthly vacuum. So if you can't have them write it off have them go down to the carpets to extract out everything.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Amongst his problems is that it would take at least 1-2 months to get all the parts for the repair, or if salvaged, 3-6 months to get a replacement order processed. This is awful.
      07-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Really sorry for what has happened. I doubt you would get the car written off as it is not "major"damage in their books. It is still accident free even if you want to sell it later I believe.

I saw that BMW has some type of camera when ordering but didn't tick that box. Perhaps there is a way to record these things.

I.
Here in the USA, all insurance claims are reported and will appear on the CLUE report (comprehensive loss underwriting experience), and will then also show on the CARFAX report. Yes, I am an insurance agent.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post

I.
Here in the USA, all insurance claims are reported and will appear on the CLUE report (comprehensive loss underwriting experience), and will then also show on the CARFAX report. Yes, I am an insurance agent.
Got some hook ups on rates
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50d JTD View Post
Thanks for all your comments guys, very much appreciated.

Given the severity of the damage, I called the police back and had them come straight out. The officers that arrived were amazed at the extent of the damage and asked if I knew of any grudges - absolutely none whatsoever. I’d left nothing of value in the car so after the effort they took to get into it, I assume they were pi$$ed off at walking away empty handed so thought they would finish it off. Just a guess, I can’t even begin to understand the mindset and thought process of anyone who would even consider doing such a thing.

The police took the car away for forensics and have recovered a lot of prints + have requested all the CCTV from the railway station/car park – I’m waiting to hear the outcome. Fingers crossed the little scrotes have been arrested before and the police can identify and prosecute based on the prints and CCTV.
M50d JTD Really sorry to hear your news - which station car park?
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Sorry to hear this. The insurance company will pay repairs, 100% no new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
jugdish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

There a special place in the afterlife for douche bags that perpetrate such nonsense. Take comfort into that....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Damn , sorry bud
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #18
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Karma will get to them.. hope everything gets sorted out well ASAP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:24 PM   #19
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Bad news and not a nice feeling. It is all the time and worry that goes with sorting it out that is the pain and the feeling that the car is not the same. What station was it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #20
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

M50d JTD PS Any pictures to illustrate your pain and torture and location?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #21
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again for all your comments and support guys, truly appreciated during this awful time.

I went to visit the car this morning to give it a thorough inspection and take pictures (it was too dark on Monday night and I was tied up with an argument between the police and the recovery company as to who/where/when for recovery as the police couldn't do the forensics that night, so didn't get any pic's of any use then) Unfortunately now that the police have finished with it, the BMW bodyshop have wrapped it in plastic as they are storing it outside in their compound - so I still haven't got any good pic's.

Talking to the guys at the bodyshop the bodywork and interior look at a quick glance to have escaped fairly lightly considering - however, on close inspection every panel has at least one scratch/dent, some of which are small + The interior has lots and lots of small scratches and scrapes everywhere inc the instrument cluster and nav glass/plastic + all the trims.

I've told the bodyshop and insurance assessor to call me Monday during the inspection as I want every mark no matter how small recorded/factored in -especially given the fact that the car is only 5 weeks old and was in immaculate showroom condition prior to the attack. I fear I will have a real battle on my hands with the insurance company if they go down the repair route regarding them acknowledging and fixing every one of the large number of smaller scratches/chips.

Finally, I know a few of you have asked the location of the station car park - I hope you understand but I would rather not say on an open forum as I have no choice but to park there and don't really want to advertise where the car will be if repaired/replaced.

The way I'm feeling at the moment, I just want a cheap station car as it will be a constant worry to leave the X5 there now if repaired/replaced. However if I don't use the X5 for my daily commute to work then I can't really justify the expense of keeping it for occasional use at the weekends/towing the Caterham to trackdays. On the flip side it means the little bastards really have won if they stop me owning the car I want and have worked really hard to pay for.

The above quandary including the massive hit in depreciation that I'll take if the insurance company do repair and I then trade it in, is probably the worst part of this whole situation - Hence why I'm now praying for an economical write-off as the best conclusion to this awful nightmare.

Thanks again,
Joe

Last edited by M8 JTD; 07-11-2015 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #22
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Sorry to hear your news !

You may have a battle with the insurance, due to the high value it will take a lot of repair cost to write it off. I had a similar battle with my almost brand new X3 which was rear ended while parked, despite the large repair bill it wasn't enough to sway the write off ....

Good luck and hope they get caught !
Appreciate 0