BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Lack of paint issues?

I recently did a detail on my black x5 and noticed the lack of paint on the corners of the fender vents and the corner back side of the rear bumper

It is to the point where you can see the primer on these areas

Is there a paperwork I can submit to BMW Canada?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Please post a photo so we can check the exact same spots.
      02-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

I have also tiny spots on the doors like holes , and some yellowish dots like a rust.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

What do others think of the paint quality on the F15?

I have no issues with mine but then for me it's more of a work tool rather than a jewel.

I finally got a list of issues from CatFlat which caused him to reject his F15 and it be accepted by BMW here in the UK and one of them was mismatched paint from one panel to the next. He had the mineral white I think and according to BMW 'it is normal' for that to occur.

Surely the main shell and all large panels, doors etc., are all painted by robot in one go so how can the paint be different shades on different panels?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post

I have no issues with mine but then for me it's more of a work tool rather than a jewel.

I finally got a list of issues from CatFlat which caused him to reject his F15 and it be accepted by BMW here in the UK and one of them was mismatched paint from one panel to the next. He had the mineral white I think and according to BMW 'it is normal' for that to occur.

Surely the main shell and all large panels, doors etc., are all painted by robot in one go so how can the paint be different shades on different panels?
I hear of a lot of cars in general being damaged en route to their final destinations and being repaired by independent shops, so the paint work is obviously not original anymore. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i agree the paint quality is not upto par...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

I will post pictures tonight, thanks everyone

Visually it is right at the bottom of the front fender, and the rear bumper right below the tailight where it curves to meet the rear part of the tow hook
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Deneriuss
Semper Fidelis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

I picked mine up at PCD and went over the whole thing. Didn't see any issues, so I would think that maybe damage during travel and independent fixing may be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
My wife's Superb has less (i.e. none) orange peel than my X5. Kinda says it all about BMW paint-job "quality". If they do this shit on individual paints as well, I'd be pissed...
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Orange peel and the odd marks where obviously something (dust,etc) has got on the car before the paint has been applied or the finish before was not quite perfect. Also I think the protection they apply on the bodywork took clear coat and paint of a door leading edge. However, after it was detailed it looked as good as it was going to get (and that is in the top 1% of all cars on the road) without resorting to a wet sand, etc. My BMW 20inch gloss black winter wheels had very fine hair scratches before they even went on the car! Unless you get silver its the way it is I am afraid. Balck looks great but causes considerable aganst.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine in Space Grey looks pretty good, no real big orange peel effects but there is a very slight unevenness in the paint but that must be unavoidable without wet sanding the car during the paint process which just isn't going to happen with a mass produced car is it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
I hear of a lot of cars in general being damaged en route to their final destinations and being repaired by independent shops, so the paint work is obviously not original anymore. Just a thought.
Do they use independent shops, I thought they used their own people at the delivery centres. I seem to remember a thread a while ago where someone got a tour of a BMW delivery centre and there were a few cars in pieces in various stages or repair where they got damaged en-route.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Do they use independent shops, I thought they used their own people at the delivery centres. I seem to remember a thread a while ago where someone got a tour of a BMW delivery centre and there were a few cars in pieces in various stages or repair where they got damaged en-route.
That is Thorne in the UK. I think the ones in bits were BMW management cars that were to be placed on used market.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

The X5 is super-dirty right now, I will post pictures once I thoroughly wash it, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #15
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Sorry I haven't see that thread. But it is to my knowledge that most dealerships that take delivery of new vehicles do not have in-house paint/body repair facilities. Thus they outsource out the work via independent shops that are "certified" to work with these vehicles (ie. Using factory approved paint and OEM parts). I know it happens often though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #16
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

My X5 with 2 weeks old.
Rear bumper near exhaust.

Already repaired in the Dealer.

First visit to dealer was with 1 week with oil leek in the 2 Turbos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose260gti View Post
My X5 with 2 weeks old.

Is that some kind of a liner that is coming off the bumper?

Also, did they have a cause for the oil leaks or only reported the symptom?

Thank you.
      02-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Quote:
My X5 with 2 weeks old.

Is that some kind of a liner that is coming off the bumper?

Also, did they have a cause for the oil leaks or only reported the symptom?

Thank you.
Is not a liner. Is the paint of the bumper. I think bumper was not primed before painting.

I was so frustrated when I saw that...

The cause from oil leak was: Turbo pipes were loose...

This piss me off. 140.000chf car and after 2 weeks I have found 2 big problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is not a liner. Is the paint of the bumper. I think bumper was not primed before painting.

I was so frustrated when I saw that...

The cause from oil leak was: Turbo pipes were loose...

This piss me off. 140.000chf car and after 2 weeks I have found 2 big problems.
When we buy this car in the US, it states (by value) 65% made in Germany, 30% made in Austria. Virtually ever component is imported whole. I know the bulk of the Austrian value is the transmission.

Paint is 100% in the US. No hiding behind the workmanship (or lack there of), in checking everything is fed to the robot line correctly, and doing proper inspections.

My concern now is the quality of electronic sensors, which I suspect, regardless of place of assembly, are all sourced in places they'd rather not tell us. For instance, Latvia makes a lot of the electronics and LEDs, but Lativa is doing modeling and assembly, not the whole thing. When you see electronic components listed as generic substitutes in Alibaba.com, you get a sense that this car is not as German, Austrian or American as we are led to believe.

One thing for sure, this car is much more complicated and sensor=dependent than anything I have owned, and the risks I had no choice but taking if I wanted this car. But when you see unprimed body, wrong mirrors on the car (not yours), wrong rear door panel, missing options, wiring not plugged in for internal LED lights, rust on off-the lot bake calipers,......it makes you see where the toll is taken for BMW's strategy to expand its menu of product offerings so fast and so wide. I didn't expect these kinds of problems.

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-18-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your paint issues. I must have gotten lucky. Have the Glacier Silver and no issues. We have completed a couple in depth details and it looks great...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yes, I would have not noticed if I did not do a light paint correction, you really have to shine a bright LED light (I have a PETZL headlamp) to see the primer through the paint.

I would assume the robot arm when it "curves" around the bumper it missed some spots

It is hard to tell on Black Sapphire Metallic as the metallic flakes hide the gray primer well
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #22
Lorenz
Rep
Drives: 2014. BMW X5 SAV 35i

Paint

I'm just getting my 2014 BMW X5 front hood repainted the finish always have some particle in the paint
Appreciate 0