BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Scratchy sound from HK system

I have the HK sound system in my F15 and the vocals sound scratchy, or distorted. I expected crisp clear sound throughout the range - I am disappointed. This is a new vehicle with 1200 miles on it. I'm looking for advise. Has anyone else had this problem with HK?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I have the HK in my vehicle too and honestly, it's an Ok system, nothing great. Although you do have the added adjustments over the standard system, the sound is just not there. Maybe it's the big open cabin, I don't know, but not very impressed. I have a Chevy Cruze as a beater and it has the optional Pioneer 9 speaker system and I swear it sounds better in some ways than the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Should definitely not be scratchy. Do you think it's localized to one speaker or tweeter over others? I'd play some content that exacerbates the issue and then use the balance/fader to isolate each corner to see if a hardware/connection issue or not.
If you rule that out, I'd check the EQ settings. Maybe the factory set the bands way high? "S" sounds can def be hissy if the settings are too high.
      02-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

There are only a few places this could come from, and you have control over the first -point of origin- only.

Recording>amplifications>transmission>speaker

If it is in all the speakers (try fader/balance) then it has to be the amplifier.

If it is the amplifier, try with FM, USB, Bluetooth, and Sat.radio if you have it to see if it is a particular section. Also try left / right balance again as amps can get damaged in one channel only some times.

At any rate, unless it is the recording, dealer should repair/replace.
      02-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
There are only a few places this could come from, and you have control over the first -point of origin- only.

Recording>amplifications>transmission>speaker

If it is in all the speakers (try fader/balance) then it has to be the amplifier.

If it is the amplifier, try with FM, USB, Bluetooth, and Sat.radio if you have it to see if it is a particular section. Also try left / right balance again as amps can get damaged in one channel only some times.

At any rate, unless it is the recording, dealer should repair/replace.
Thanks - good advise. I'll try some different sound sources and try to see if it is isolated to only one speaker.
Appreciate 0