BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

Diesel owners.....what Adblue?

I know BMW will top off your adblue when servicing the car on its 10k oil change but I thought about carrying an extra bottle in the trunk just in case. I've seen other "generic" bottles that look like the bmw bottles at a much lower price. Is anyone using a generic adblue which is not BMW branded?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

What happens if it runs out anyways? Just makes more emissions? Smoke? I would bet its all the same VW, Merc, BMW, etc. probably all using the same stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
What happens if it runs out anyways? Just makes more emissions? Smoke? I would bet its all the same VW, Merc, BMW, etc. probably all using the same stuff.
The car stops. As in, the engine won't start.

Crazy emissions standards want to prevent the car from even running without the emissions fluid. Of course BMW would never do this without a beating on the head (legal requirements) from legislators. I'm sure some young woman and child will be carjacked/raped/murdered in some awful part of a city because their damn car won't start because the emissions fluid is empty and that will end the madness. But, until then, make sure you don't let this run out! The car will tell you a LOT if you're running low, and then will give you a final warning before it won't start anymore (at least, that's what it says in the manual).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I know BMW will top off your adblue when servicing the car on its 10k oil change but I thought about carrying an extra bottle in the trunk just in case. I've seen other "generic" bottles that look like the bmw bottles at a much lower price. Is anyone using a generic adblue which is not BMW branded?
Brand is not important. It is all DEF -Diesel Exhaust Fluid, and made up largely of water and urea. You can use Benz, Audi, VW urea or even those that are sold at large truck stops, or pep boys. But you don't want to run out. Just set a reminder to check it at about 8,000 miles if concerned. Also, you do get a warning light, so it is not as if it will run out and you are stuck at once.

I keep a container at home, but not in my car.

DEF is highly corrosive and if it spills, it can damaged anything that oxidizes easily.
      09-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
BillK
Private First Class
Rep

By the way, I just found this stuff which seems pretty cheap

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BLUEDEF-Di...roduct+Reviews
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Peak brand is same stuff you get from MB, Audi, BMW, etc. I used Peak to fill my ML Bluetec.

No need to drive with DEF bottle in trunk. You will get plenty of warning when it starts getting low. There is no need to be hyperbolic or alarmist about DEF levels.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

So long as it is all made to the same standard it is the same whether branded BMW, Merc, VW etc.

Be careful that you order from a reputable source though because over here at least there seems to be people selling on ebay and it isn't what it is supposed to be, probably just water instead of the urea solution it is supposed to be.

If you run out the car keeps running but if you turn it off it won't restart but as has been said before you get plenty of warnings when you get to something like 1000 mile range left.

I wouldn't drive with it in my car because it is corrosive and smells of ammonia, not very pleasant.

I bought a 10l can from the local Shell petrol station for about £13 but plan on refilling it from the local truck stop when it is empty where it is about 60p/litre from the pumps IIRC.

In the iDrive under vehicle information you can see how much of a top is needed and how many miles you have left.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

In the states, DEF Peak brand can be purchased at any auto parts store. I've never heard of anyone buying on ebay. Much less a diluted black market for DEF. The world never ceases to amaze.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
BillK
Private First Class
Rep

I just stopped off at my local walmart. They had the 2.5 gallon jug for about $12 so I bought it. I wonder if there's a shelf life?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
So long as it is all made to the same standard it is the same whether branded BMW, Merc, VW etc.

Be careful that you order from a reputable source though because over here at least there seems to be people selling on ebay and it isn't what it is supposed to be, probably just water instead of the urea solution it is supposed to be.

If you run out the car keeps running but if you turn it off it won't restart but as has been said before you get plenty of warnings when you get to something like 1000 mile range left.

I wouldn't drive with it in my car because it is corrosive and smells of ammonia, not very pleasant.

I bought a 10l can from the local Shell petrol station for about £13 but plan on refilling it from the local truck stop when it is empty where it is about 60p/litre from the pumps IIRC.

In the iDrive under vehicle information you can see how much of a top is needed and how many miles you have left.
Oh dear, should I bin the 10l of Air 1 AdBlue I got from eBay back in April?

The retailer was nielsencdg.
Appreciate 0