BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

My comfort access doesn't lock..

It unlocks just fine when I touch the handle, but it doesn't unlock for some reason. I hear it activate with the little clicks, especially at the gas cap, but it won't lock unless I hit the key fob lock.

Anyone experienced CA acting up like this?
      12-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
It unlocks just fine when I touch the handle, but it doesn't unlock for some reason. I hear it activate with the little clicks, especially at the gas cap, but it won't lock unless I hit the key fob lock.

Anyone experienced CA acting up like this?
And you're positive you are touching the little ridges when you lock? Some say you have to hold it for 1-2 seconds for it to lock, much like the side mirror coding with CA.

This should solve your issue if what I have said does not help: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=613314
      12-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

One reported IPhone interference when fob in same pocket. Probably not your situation as you can unlock but cannot lock.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...uto+start+stop
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

My '14 did this. I could hear something clicking around the gas tank lid but it would take several attempts to get it to unlock. It shows up int the survey too. I never resolved it. The '15 works nearly as effortlessly as the Merc.
      12-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
One reported IPhone interference when fob in same pocket. Probably not your situation as you can unlock but cannot lock.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...uto+start+stop
That's really interesting. I don't have an iPhone but it could still be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
And you're positive you are touching the little ridges when you lock? Some say you have to hold it for 1-2 seconds for it to lock, much like the side mirror coding with CA.

This should solve your issue if what I have said does not help: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=613314

Yes, I can hear the function work fine, it's clicking like MattBianco said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
My '14 did this. I could hear something clicking around the gas tank lid but it would take several attempts to get it to unlock. It shows up int the survey too. I never resolved it. The '15 works nearly as effortlessly as the Merc.

Yes, same problem, just clicking and not locking, as if one door is still open or as if key is still inside. The funny thing is, I got to office this morning and it first clicked without locking then it suddenly locked. Maybe my phone was in a pocket further away from FOB? I can't tell what it was but my guess is that vehicle thinks key is still inside. I am going to try holding it a bit further out, maybe my "outside" pocket standing away from the car to see what happens. We know at least the function works but something is stopping it from locking.
      12-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Additional detail: two iPhones got in and out of the '14, and continue to do so on the '15.

At times it would not unlock at all. I'd use the key fob, and afterwards it would work for a while. It was very sporadic and unpredictable. I thought it was just a poor implementation of keyless go. When the '15 arrived, I noticed it works quite well and have not encountered your issue.
      12-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

I have recently had a problem where the comfort access doesn't unlock when you grab the handle. I put it down to the CA going to sleep if it was left for a while, it hadn't been driven for a couple of days.

Does anyone know if it does go to sleep or do I have a problem with CA not unlocking. I even tried it with the keyfob in the same hand that I was grabbing the handle with, no joy.

Unlock with the fob button, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Interestingly mine will sometimes hesitate to lock until the soft close doors completely close. I had one occasion where I touched the sensor on the door and it did not lock. Like you I used the key fob and it locked right away. It has worked since then very smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's really odd, I am sure it's just a coincidence, but when I hold and twist my hand it would just lock then, unlocking has no such issue.
      12-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

This is one of my least favorite features. I had a Audi and my Wifes MB all unlock when you get close, this thing makes you pull on the stupid door handle and usually I have to pull twice before it unlocks on mine.
Not liking this setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfly View Post
This is one of my least favorite features. I had a Audi and my Wifes MB all unlock when you get close, this thing makes you pull on the stupid door handle and usually I have to pull twice before it unlocks on mine.
Not liking this setup.
I actually prefer to touch or pull the handle..

Ok guys, here is an update, after many tries I realized CA works differently in F15 compared to E70.

F15 has different sensors for Lock and Unluck, separately.
So to unlock the door, you just grab the handle, to lock you just touch the outside or top & bottom. I have been trying to unlock it by just lightly touching the handle, so it assumes I am trying to get in, it thinks I am actually holding the handle, so now when I use my thumb and index finger to hold the outside portion where keyhole cover is, it locks just fine.
      12-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
CLCX5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 sDrive35i X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I actually prefer to touch or pull the handle..

Ok guys, here is an update, after many tries I realized CA works differently in F15 compared to E70.

F15 has different sensors for Lock and Unluck, separately.
So to unlock the door, you just grab the handle, to lock you just touch the outside or top & bottom. I have been trying to unlock it by just lightly touching the handle, so it assumes I am trying to get in, it thinks I am actually holding the handle, so now when I use my thumb and index finger to hold the outside portion where keyhole cover is, it locks just fine.
I just touch the little ridges on the right top of the handle to lock. No need to touch the bottom at all.
Appreciate 0